Bonhams Scottsdale 2017 Countach USD 187K

Looks to me like quite a low price for a Countach Anniversary:

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/23945/lot/...=100&page=1

Obviously difficult to say something about the real condition of the car just by the pictures. However even if the condition wasn't great the price seems quite low to me.

Does anyone know more about this Countach and it's condition?

All three Lambos (LM, Countach, Espada) at this auction achieved only prices which were way below the estimations.

I'm going to get flamed for saying this by a few people, but there is no harm meant in my comments. I understand that there are indivduals here that make money by selling and trading these cars, so I'm not trying to downplay your professional opinions or anything else.

I've been talking offline with a few Countach owners and other individuals and we all have the general consensus that the Countach values are falling, and I guarantee someone on here will disagree with me. In a different discussion (not the private one), a member on another forum the values raised extremely high for little reason, all within a short period of time, and I agree. Now, if you look back at tonights' auction and another this week, as well as this one, there are all reasons (i.e.: condition, records, technical details, auction venue, etc.) in regards to why said cars achieved the prices that they did, but in reflection to those prices by those same reasons, the cars that are all currently on the market are priced no where near as low as they should be. I think we're starting to see the market stabilize and although Countach values will never again lower to 2005 or even 2010 prices, we may be seeing some leveling out and cars are not currently worth what is being asked for them. And of course, we all know that these values WILL go up over time. It's just a matter of when.

Yes, Countach prices are dropping. See with my eyes, unfortunately

They are the half (not the half, but 60%) than two years ago

Ciao

I'm going to get flamed for saying this by a few people, but there is no harm meant in my comments. I understand that there are indivduals here that make money by selling and trading these cars, so I'm not trying to downplay your professional opinions or anything else.

I've been talking offline with a few Countach owners and other individuals and we all have the general consensus that the Countach values are falling, and I guarantee someone on here will disagree with me. In a different discussion (not the private one), a member on another forum the values raised extremely high for little reason, all within a short period of time, and I agree. Now, if you look back at tonights' auction and another this week, as well as this one, there are all reasons (i.e.: condition, records, technical details, auction venue, etc.) in regards to why said cars achieved the prices that they did, but in reflection to those prices by those same reasons, the cars that are all currently on the market are priced no where near as low as they should be. I think we're starting to see the market stabilize and although Countach values will never again lower to 2005 or even 2010 prices, we may be seeing some leveling out and cars are not currently worth what is being asked for them. And of course, we all know that these values WILL go up over time. It's just a matter of when.

I agree with you that there were or still are some crazy asking prices for Countaches and other cars too. However I think USD 187'000 incl. buyers premium is quite low for a low mileage car.

In the end such a stabilization or correction isn't the worst thing for guys who actually collect and drive their cars. Easier to find some good examples again at reasonable prices.

I agree with you that there were or still are some crazy asking prices for Countaches and other cars too. However I think USD 187'000 incl. buyers premium is quite low for a low mileage car.

In the end such a stabilization or correction isn't the worst thing for guys who actually collect and drive their cars. Easier to find some good examples again at reasonable prices.

I agree 100%! It does seem incredibly low. Someone will chime in with knowledge about that car, I'm sure.

On a positive note, I'm REALLY trying to afford a car this year. I don't want to buy a Countach to let it sit. I want to enjoy it for the rest of my life. All of this news is good news to someone like me! :)

I agree 100%! It does seem incredibly low. Someone will chime in with knowledge about that car, I'm sure.

On a positive note, I'm REALLY trying to afford a car this year. I don't want to buy a Countach to let it sit. I want to enjoy it for the rest of my life. All of this news is good news to someone like me! :)

I hope one day I can buy back my car: I miss it

ciao

I hope one day I can buy back my car: I miss it

ciao

Albert and Doc I hope that both of you will have a Countach soon again. It's such a fantastic car! Already the look of it it's worth so much to me. Going down to the garage and seeing it standing there is great. It's like a crouching tiger waiting to jump!

As a Countach owner, you may think me biased, but :

A. Its an Anniv

B. No wing

C. Most common color

On top of that auctions are very time dependent. If it ran late, no one in the house, etc. I think a good Anniv is around a 300k car.

I know one here in Italy that purchased a Japanese 400 miles red 25th, time capsule just serviced. Paid 500 k one year and half ago. I'm trying to offer it at 450 k but at present I haven't a offer over 350 k.

Ciao

Here are all the Lambo results from the auction in Arizona:

http://www.rmsothebys.com/az17/arizona/res...p;submit=Search

The most surprises me the price of the LP400 S Series I. Thought this one will go higher as it's a series I. However the car was resprayed once and doesn't have its original Acapulco Blue color anymore.

The lovely Diablo 6.0 for 291,500 was a good deal in my opinion.

Interesting as well: three cars were not sold among them the Miura SV with an estimate of 2.3 to 2.6 million.

Here are all the Lambo results from the auction in Arizona:

http://www.rmsothebys.com/az17/arizona/res...p;submit=Search

The most surprises me the price of the LP400 S Series I. Thought this one will go higher as it's a series I. However the car was resprayed once and doesn't have its original Acapulco Blue color anymore.

The lovely Diablo 6.0 for 291,500 was a good deal in my opinion.

Interesting as well: three cars were not sold among them the Miura SV with an estimate of 2.3 to 2.6 million.

That Black and Gold S1 is simply stunning!!

If someone wants a MIURA SV, I was offered one for less than 2M, so please just ask

ciao

I know that nobody has any excuses about this car: (The 87, double white QV).

http://www.rmsothebys.com/az17/arizona/lot...bertone/1691476

That car is PRISTINE! Of course it probably needs a mechanical rebuild from sitting, but don't a lot of these cars?

The Miura didn't sell because they were asking WAY too much, IMO.

So did Roy's silver '81 lowbody not sell/make-reserve?

Highest bid was $530k so he pulled it..no sale

Is that a thing? If you send something out with no reserve, do you not have to take the high bid?

My black low mile 89 crosses Barrett Jackson no reserve around 7 tonight...we will see..

????

So, a little to add on the auction front. I was at both the Russo and Steele and Barrett Jackson auctions and looked over many of the cars. Its been awhile since Ive been there and I came away with quite a few mixed emotions.

First off, the quality and condition of many of these cars, is not what you would expect after reading many of the descriptions. The only car Im upset about is the Miami Vice Testarossa. Remembering the crazy figures they were asking in the past, I didnt think much of attending the bidding. It sold For $138k plus fees. This car as well, was far from perfect, and looked to have a lived a rough life, but I would of purchased it simply for its history.

On the Countach front. Starting with the car that started this thread, the red 89 Anniversary. Im actually pretty sure now that this car was one which I passed on, which was offered to me for 85k a couple years ago, but after Countach prices started to rise. A pretty rough car, with prior accident history, not fixed with the best attention to detail.

Next up Roys Black Anniversary.. This car was actually purchased by an LP member, for $260k including fees. This car has a prior accident history as well ( the buyer has already mentioned this publicly or else I wouldnt state that here) . Looked to be a pretty good car, but definitely in need of a little TLC. The buyer has several other Countachs, so Im certain he will make this one as spectacular as the other two.

3rd the White Ct at Gooding. I didnt physically see it, however speaking with a couple friends that did, this car is the most misrepresented of the bunch. From the description you would think youd be buying a time capsule. The reality is you are buying a car that needed a 100% top to bottom restoration @ $260k.

Another Anniversary sold at $282k plus fees . I didnt see this car, but heard it was generally a nice car. As most nice Anniversary cars have been selling in the 300's for the past few years, I think these were fair prices for the examples given.

Generally looking at the crowds, it didn't seem to me that people were that excited over the Euro cars. More-so the older muscle cars. We bid on a yellow Diablo Roadster, that no saled at 150k. We stopped at $130k. Car had 30k plus miles, no service records, shady brokers with conflicting stories on their ownership of the car, paintwork all over, over spray etc. You wont hear about that from the people singing the bubble is bursting anthem. All you will hear is that a very nice Diablo Roadster couldn't even get $150k. Roys 99VT looked to be a nice solid car, which I believe sold at $200k plus fees.

All in all I walked away feeling the auctions are abit shady. My friend was selling two cars. On the sale of the first, as bidding was still in progress, the Auction company was trying to get him to quickly agree to a lower number. He panicked thinking he was going to lose the sale, and agreed. In the end he ended up losing money, while the auction company made their full commission. The car ended up selling for good money, basically a good retail figure. But add in commission you are on the losing side of the deal. On the next car we were smarter when they approached us again immediately to lower the price. We stood our ground, and got the auction company to cut their commission an the car sold.

Another example of car selling well below estimates was a 94 3.6 Turbo . I think it had 38k miles. Sold For something like $110k+ fees. What you wont hear is how awful the teal green looked, especially with the chrome wheels, the fact that interior was ripped appart and put back together with black vinyl seats in a tan interior, wood dashboard pieces, a custom made center console etc. Overall a very rough car.

Most of the cars do not have service histories, or they are not up to date. You do not get to do a PPI. So if you are buying cars like the CGT's they have coming across the stage, you have no idea if it will need a $25k clutch tomorrow , or if the 91 TR will even make it back out to the yard as it has no record of ever having an engine out service in 27 years. I think only the Gooding auction cherry picks their cars, and only takes the cream of the crop.

The Miami vice tr languished in the garage at the collection for years, probably ten or more and was abandoned. I saw it again about four years ago and it was rough as hell.