Bonhams Scottsdale 2017 Countach USD 187K

Have never been to one of the big auctions out west - only Barrett-Jackson Palm Beach which is lame. Thanks for the cardid reveal, Allan-Herbie.

I saw the Miami Vice Testarossa in Miami less than 2 years ago. It was at a good shop that wanted to work on it but the owner (dealer?) wouldn't spend the money. The car was IMO a POS. 20 years ago I met a guy who claimed to be the on-retainer tech for that car during the show's run. He claimed that it was beat to shit back then as-well.

And nobody has loved it, since.

Back in 2003 or 2004 can't quite remember ,we sold a 1989 5000s with 1300 kilometers ! for 109,000 in perfect condition and new tires ... friggin kicking ourselves today thats for sure, the car was bought in 2001 for $96000. Wish we had that one back. Last I heard that car was at lamborghini of las vegas in there showroom with a celebrity owner

Car had 30k plus miles, no service records, shady brokers with conflicting stories on their ownership of the car, paintwork all over, over spray etc. You wont hear about that from the people singing the bubble is bursting anthem. All you will hear is that a very nice Diablo Roadster couldn't even get $150k.

:iamwithstupid: While I do think the bubble is starting to burst a little, I think that shady dealers trying to capitalize on the bubble and push bad cars on the market for crazy prices is not helping. Great write up!

So, a little to add on the auction front. I was at both the Russo and Steele and Barrett Jackson auctions and looked over many of the cars. Its been awhile since Ive been there and I came away with quite a few mixed emotions.

Allan-Herbie, great insights and very helpful to put the auction results into context. Thanks for that.

Thank you all for the candid assessments. I hope to be buying another car in the next couple years so I really appreciate this info.

• 2 weeks later...

Coming back to the Countach LP400 S Series 1:

http://www.rmsothebys.com/az17/arizona/lot...bertone/1691528

I have my doubts that this is a Series 1 car. Seems to be a Series 2 lowbody. Look at the roof and the instruments. Both are quite different from a Series 1 car. The later one has some small ventilation slots at the end of the roof. The LP 400 S Series 1 inherited this slots from the LP400. You can see these small slots on this LP400:

https://www.classicdriver.com/de/article/au...p400-periscopio

The Series 1 LP400 S also had a different tachometer than the series 2 and 3. And it was clearly not the one on the picture from the car of the auction. I'm actually surprised that this car was promoted as a Series 1 car.

It is a Series 1 according to the registry. I think the difference your seeing is between the first 23 or so S1 car and this S1 car being in the last bunch.

The "early" S1 cars had the smaller gauges as you point out.

As well as the top vents, (which were left over Lp400 periscopa car bodys transformed into the S1 cars)

It is a Series 1 according to the registry. I think the difference your seeing is between the first 23 or so S1 car and this S1 car being in the last bunch.

The "early" S1 cars had the smaller gauges as you point out.

As well as the top vents, (which were left over Lp400 periscopa car bodys transformed into the S1 cars)

Hi Roy, thanks for the insights. Good information. Nowadays most LP400 S1 owners would wish that their periscope car bodies were never transformed :-)

early S1 had still SW small guages

very early S1 had still also LP400 belts and steering wheels

a very early S1 is a LP400 with flares and flat roof (1030 has even the periscope roof)

i had one of these and IMO these are the best looking countach of them ALL and so rare

as for countach values:

i see many repeat the cars are hard to sell and prices are lgoing down

nice S2 still sell for half million euros

i have seen some LP400S for sale in Europe and believe me.....most are UGLY cars:

some very tyred ones with accidents

some with engine in need of rebuild and lot of wrong items, wrong colors, hi miles

some with horrible "restorations" etc...

what i noticed is it is rarest everyday to find a nice countach for sale, the best ones are usually NOT for sale in private collections