best cities in the country to live in

OVI

So I have a question for you guys. My wife and I are looking to get the F out of CA. I am currently about a year a way form selling all the businesses and properties and will be wanting to make a move. Have been considering going back to Orlando, or maybe Nashville. Any recommendations from you guys on better cities?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I have a question for you guys. My wife and I are looking to get the F out of CA. I am currently about a year a way form selling all the businesses and properties and will be wanting to make a move. Have been considering going back to Orlando, or maybe Nashville. Any recommendations from you guys on better cities?

Come to Atlanta bro!

I think you'll be hard pressed to find somewhere better as far as socially and weather. Maybe it's the part of Cali you live in. I used to complain about Cali A lot. Politically it's horrible, but the weather ,scenery,things to do can't be beat. I really like Scottsdale Az and I hear Austin TX is really nice.

We had some friends who were Romanian. They were happiest living in the Valley because of the social aspect.

Are you looking to stay in a major metro area or getting out of dodge a bit?

Also, are taxes a big concern? Cost of living changes can drive a lot of motivation. I love CA, but can't stand the politics or the taxes, so i cancelled my move out there.

Midwest is cheaper, depending on where you go. Chicago isn't, and you'll run into the same politics and rising taxes you found in CA there :lol2:

Are you wanting water or land lock?

Don't want to go back to Europe?

Ill be getting an apartment in Romania since family is there, however I wouldnt want to live full time there.

Doesn't it depend somewhat on stage of life and preference for winter vs no winter, or change of seasons?

I don't really mind winters, but prefer milder. If I want snow or any harsh cold I can always fly there.

Come to Atlanta bro!

Dude I was actually thinking about a place in buckhead. The prices are really good.

I think you'll be hard pressed to find somewhere better as far as socially and weather. Maybe it's the part of Cali you live in. I used to complain about Cali A lot. Politically it's horrible, but the weather ,scenery,things to do can't be beat. I really like Scottsdale Az and I hear Austin TX is really nice.

We had some friends who were Romanian. They were happiest living in the Valley because of the social aspect.

I do agree. That has made our decision quite hard. We love the fact that in California there is a lot to do within driving distance. I can ski, then I can get to the ocean. However the taxes and politics are killing me. Business won't be able to continue to go as well as it has and I wouldnt even dream of expanding here.

Are you looking to stay in a major metro area or getting out of dodge a bit?

Also, are taxes a big concern? Cost of living changes can drive a lot of motivation. I love CA, but can't stand the politics or the taxes, so i cancelled my move out there.

Midwest is cheaper, depending on where you go. Chicago isn't, and you'll run into the same politics and rising taxes you found in CA there :lol2:

Are you wanting water or land lock?

For me the biggest thing is to be in a city/state that is business friendly. The goal is to downsize a little and put away as much as I can so I can focus on investments and doing some real estate building and investing. I really enjoy that. Also another thing that is important to me is a city that has an actual international airport that I can fly to europe without a layover in another state. So between the states I was most considering I was thinking Florida, Texas, Tennessee, and possible Georgia. Oh and of course I would like a place that has a good group of car guys.

I'm serious you really should consider Atlanta if you plan on being on the east coast.

Positives:

- World's biggest airport

- It's pretty affordable

- Tons of good restaurants and shopping

- Decent amount of concerts/events.

- Good tech community

- Good car community

- Lots of nature and good driving roads outside the city

- Good climate

Negatives:

- Rush hour traffic

- State tax

- Crime

OVI you know I live in L.A., my office is in S.F. and I travel constantly. There are only a few places I would leave California for and I have the same view points as you on California taxes and politics.

I couldn't live in a place that didn't have the ocean or mountains and great weather.

I'm a big fan of

South Florida (east and west coast)

Colorado - Denver and Boulder

Hawaii if you can handle being on an island

There are so many great places in the United States, hard to go wrong

Texas is pretty business friendly, but the weather is hot in the summer. Austin, Dallas/Ft. Worth or Houston as far as metropolitan areas with tons of options outside of the large cities. Much much different than California though, which might be a good or bad thing depending on what you are looking for.

Houston isn't a bad bet at all. Cost of living is really low. You have all the luxury shops you could want. Restaurant and food for days. Incredible car scene here as well. Great for families.

You can buy serious estates in the big TX cities for pennies on the dollar compared to Miami, Naples, SF, LA, NY, Chicago, etc, etc. I don't know how they even build them that nice at that cost.

MIAMI.

Its the perfect place for some people, but I was born and raised in Miami and have left. My parents were born and raised in Miami and have left. Just about everyone I know, young and old, has abandoned ship over the last three years. The city has just turned into too much of a place that is focused on foreign wealth and flaunting money for us to care to be part of any more. Everything that had charm and made it feel like home for us has been bulldozed and turned into a sushi restaurant or 'ultra high-end shopping experience'. Sad to see it happen, but I'm sure the same story is being told in cities all around the country.

I just moved to Denver and love the place. Its a growing city with plenty of opportunities and you can drive ~1.5 hours west and be in the mountains on any given day. Housing is a bargain when compared to the coasts (I'd probably have my teeth punched in if I said that around some of the natives, but its true). Great balance of work/live/play.

Orlando

Boulder

Houston

I also like Seattle, but the weather..eh. Beautiful city though.

Good Luck!

I was going to make the move to FL but didn't. Wish I did sometimes :( .