best cities in the country to live in

OVI

What about the heat during the summer months in Scottsdale? It averages 103+ four months of the year. I'm also looking to move within the next two years and am enjoying this thread and everyones input.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about the heat during the summer months in Scottsdale? It averages 103+ four months of the year. I'm also looking to move within the next two years and am enjoying this thread and everyones input.

It gets to 110 where I live in Cali. The heat does not bother me at all. And the rest of the time is beautiful. During the winter my home in AZ sees 20 degrees at night.

It gets to 110 where I live in Cali. The heat does not bother me at all. And the rest of the time is beautiful. During the winter my home in AZ sees 20 degrees at night.

Saw the Hoff on tanked earlier in your old crib getting hooked up with a sweet tank!

Strange, isn't it?

Fort Lauderdale is getting better in some ways, less traffic (for the most part), yet I just can't force myself to leave a 1st tier city like Miami for Fort Lauderdale....at this point. We'll see if that changes.

North of that in Florida, I personally have zero interest.

Allan,

Seems like you just finally completed the remodel of your current CA home and you're already planning on leaving CA? Not that I blame you, having been a resident of CA for 30+ years I'm tired of the BS one has to put up with the state (from people, to politics, etc.).

Are you planning on keeping your CA home or getting rid of it.

The model home in the pics look nice. But how is the build quality?

Allan,

Seems like you just finally completed the remodel of your current CA home and you're already planning on leaving CA? Not that I blame you, having been a resident of CA for 30+ years I'm tired of the BS one has to put up with the state (from people, to politics, etc.).

Are you planning on keeping your CA home or getting rid of it.

The model home in the pics look nice. But how is the build quality?

Toll brothers is a good builder but the problem w their communities is it's all tract homes. So you have a 2mm house that is like all the others around you. If you have the time, patience and $ custom is the wtg IMO.

Toll brothers is a good builder but the problem w their communities is it's all tract homes. So you have a 2mm house that is like all the others around you. If you have the time, patience and $ custom is the wtg IMO.

:iamwithstupid:

I couldn't live in a cookie cutter either regardless of how nice it is.

To be clear, I already own a home in Scottsdale. Its a custom home in a community of only 12 other houses. We only toured the models to get an idea on how they were styling them, not to buy one. I wouldnt want a cookie cutter home either, however I will say that the toll brothers house seemed well put together, and that there are soo many options to differentiate each home from the next.

I just got back from another 4 days in Scottsdale. I cant wait to get out of California. Everything, from traffic, recreational activities, peoples mindset is night and day from California.

Agree on all fronts. Just got back from Scottsdale as well. Heading out there again on the 22nd for 4 days. Want to move there in coming years. Grandma had a beautiful custom home near Pinnacle Peak/Troon til she passed 2 years ago. Fell in love with Scottsdale while visiting her over the years; the hiking, the sun, and the people.

Just snowed here in Chicago today - that's what sucks about the midwest (snow in March). But I'd say Chicago is 80% of New York at 50% of the price. All the big acts come through, arguably the top city for food in the country, awesome night life, has all the major sports teams, gorgeous architecture (Mies, Helmut Jahn, etc. etc.), gorgeous women (who are mostly more down to earth than NY/Far West Coast). That's the good...

The Bad: Long winters, lots of traffic + terrible state govt. and taxes like CA.

Agree on all fronts. Just got back from Scottsdale as well. Heading out there again on the 22nd for 4 days. Want to move there in coming years. Grandma had a beautiful custom home near Pinnacle Peak/Troon til she passed 2 years ago. Fell in love with Scottsdale while visiting her over the years; the hiking, the sun, and the people.

Just snowed here in Chicago today - that's what sucks about the midwest (snow in March). But I'd say Chicago is 80% of New York at 50% of the price. All the big acts come through, arguably the top city for food in the country, awesome night life, has all the major sports teams, gorgeous architecture (Mies, Helmut Jahn, etc. etc.), gorgeous women (who are mostly more down to earth than NY/Far West Coast). That's the good...

The Bad: Long winters, lots of traffic + terrible state govt. and taxes like CA.

Agreed. Just got back from Scottsdale at the beginning of the month. I am moving there in the early part of 2018. Can't wait to get out of NY. Something about that AZ sun and feel just feels good!

Looking at some of the newer condos/Apts in Old town. Lots of options in that area currently.

Agreed. Just got back from Scottsdale at the beginning of the month. I am moving there in the early part of 2018. Can't wait to get out of NY. Something about that AZ sun and feel just feels good!

Looking at some of the newer condos/Apts in Old town. Lots of options in that area currently.

If you have never lived in a 'desert' go visit in August just to get the full spectrum. No doubt it's absolutely amazing this time of year.

If you have never lived in a 'desert' go visit in August just to get the full spectrum. No doubt it's absolutely amazing this time of year.

Yeah, I know what I'm getting myself into. Thanks for the advice though.

Spent some time there last summer and experienced a couple days around 110-113. Wasn't as nasty feeling as the Florida summer heat with humidity. I'm sure it wears on you after a while but that will be a good time to do some traveling to some more mild climate places.

Keep in mind I am used to winters with single digits, high winds and lake effect snow. I'll gladly take a little desert heat :)

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back from Scottsdale. Going twice more this year. Absolutely, without a doubt, fantastic city.

First of all the people are just lovely. Kind, patient, POLITE, lovely.

Second, the weather is incredible.

Third, cost of living is inexpensive. Depending where you are from, you will either be smiling or shocked how low things are. The cost of homes for us was amazing- literally half price from where we live.

If you have kids, perfect city as the people are nice and there is so much to do. If you are single, the women are drop dead gorgeous.

We visited two friends of ours, both i-bankers, roller pads. Stunning shacks, top notch. Also there is a deep car culture there. The guy next door had a 50 car garage... not exaggerating.

Only negative is the airport is a piece of shit gong show, yet another reason to fly private.

I give it 4.5 throwing stars out of a possible 5.

Just got back from Scottsdale. Going twice more this year. Absolutely, without a doubt, fantastic city.

First of all the people are just lovely. Kind, patient, POLITE, lovely.

Second, the weather is incredible.

Third, cost of living is inexpensive. Depending where you are from, you will either be smiling or shocked how low things are. The cost of homes for us was amazing- literally half price from where we live.

If you have kids, perfect city as the people are nice and there is so much to do. If you are single, the women are drop dead gorgeous.

We visited two friends of ours, both i-bankers, roller pads. Stunning shacks, top notch. Also there is a deep car culture there. The guy next door had a 50 car garage... not exaggerating.

Only negative is the airport is a piece of shit gong show, yet another reason to fly private.

I give it 4.5 throwing stars out of a possible 5.

Totally agree on everything except the airport. I find it to be the best airport in the country. Quick and easy, unlike LAX which is a fcuking nightmare. You may have been in the section thats currently under construction. On the car culture front, its huge. The ability to have quick access to several racetracks is a big plus!

Totally agree on everything except the airport. I find it to be the best airport in the country. Quick and easy, unlike LAX which is a fcuking nightmare. You may have been in the section thats currently under construction. On the car culture front, its huge. The ability to have quick access to several racetracks is a big plus!

You may be correct. I think we fucked up because this time instead of having a driver I decided to be a cheap fcuk and rented a car. Big mistake. Had to wait with the plebes for a shuttle to the rental place, then waited around at the rental place for over an hour. Same deal coming home in reverse, waited around for the shuttle and got herded like cattle. Gonna call Centurion and give them shit, they told my wife it would be easy and it sucked big wang. At the end of the day though small issues to deal with.

Agree with you on LAX, tough to deal with.

You may be correct. I think we fucked up because this time instead of having a driver I decided to be a cheap fcuk and rented a car. Big mistake. Had to wait with the plebes for a shuttle to the rental place, then waited around at the rental place for over an hour. Same deal coming home in reverse, waited around for the shuttle and got herded like cattle. Gonna call Centurion and give them shit, they told my wife it would be easy and it sucked big wang. At the end of the day though small issues to deal with.

Agree with you on LAX, tough to deal with.

Dude, through Centurian you are platinum.with Hertz. They pick us up in baggage claim with the car, then their driver takes shuttle back.

• 4 months later...

Well, its time to say Good Bye California! Wasnt expecting it to happen so quickly, but we put our house up for sale and the 5th showing sealed the deal. Took 3 weeks. Honestly expected it to take a good deal longer.. Our house in AZ is rented till April, so going to be gypsies till then, unless the renters will get out early. Not gonna lie, sad about saying good bye to a few things California (mainly Mullholland Drive and the canyons) but nothing the money Ill save wont make up for!

Our house in AZ is rented till April, so going to be gypsies till then

My couch is currently unoccupied...

Just moved back to LA from London and love it but i doubt i'll end up here - i am already disliking the tax situation but as a few others have mentioned the political situation is incredibly irritating:

The major difference is that in the UK people are largely silent sufferers and mutter behind closed doors. Here everyone has a fcuking opinion and flaunts it in your face under the impression that you're in agreement with them. I've lost count how many employees, customers and random people within public places try to talk about their beliefs and try to push it on you.

That's not a LA thing, that's a American thing.

Ignore them.