"People buy Lamborghinis because they can’t get their hands on a Ferrari"

But does Ferrari realize that their buyers are dying? I've been to Ferrari-club events where not a single owner is younger than 60, and the guys wandering around looking at the cars are in the same bracket. I can already tell my kid considers Ferrari to be an old person's dying car marque and, if he's any window into the future, Maranello has some big F'in problems on the horizon.

So true, even here I know people who canceled orders because they were treated badly.

Ferrari isn't considered a "cool" car by the young generation.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So true, even here I know people who canceled orders because they were treated badly.

Ferrari isn't considered a "cool" car by the young generation.

True in most of the Western 1st-world countries. But where F-cars have lost grounds from there, they more than gain them right back from the BRIC countries. And the customers there would be much less critical as they are still on the learning curve of luxury goods and hence, by default, easier to be convinced to spend more.

the answer can be only one: you buy what you like with the money you have.

And then I can add this: I think Sinatra opinion is more right than Marchionne one. As if you can pay, you can buy every Ferrari and Lamborghini you want: it's just a money problem, nothing else.

ciao

Alberto

Ferrari is in great shape right now. They could sell 10,000 cars easy but they limit to about 7,000 plus a small annual increase to create the excitement.

But competition is getting better with regard to performance, style and status. And even Ferrari has a hard time during economic downturns. So they better be careful. I know and see lots of people that have left the brand.

After a dozen cars with my dealer, I recently walked away from my bespoke 488 Spider because I couldn't take the BS anymore. It's a fascinating and maddening business model they have created.

I bet if you were to research Sergio's family tree it links back to our very own wheelsrcool

😂😂😂😂

I will give credit where it's due, it is the most 'powerful' automotive brand, and regularly placed among the most valuable brands (up their with Apple, Nike, etc...). No other auto manufacturer comes close, and no other manufacturer has told more billionaires and multi-millionaires to fcuk off and to get in line. They are the only manufacturer to have participated in the top level of auto racing every year since inception.

Frankly, Lamborghini doesn't even come close from a brand and global perspective. Mainly due to the troubled past, and lack of racing heritage and pedigree. Ferrari is seen as a cut above the rest from the average Joe's perspective.

To counter, Ferrari sold / produced 8,000+ cars in 2016, and Lambo was at ~3,500. Which is more 'exclusive'? And now that they are spun out as their own public company, they are well on their way to 10,000. At some point, the exclusivity, "2 year wait" times and other marketing / dealer BS will crack. Shareholders will demand maximum sales / revenue / profits, as they should, and at some point the market will saturate.

Having said all that, I would buy a Lambo, McLaren, Pagani and Egg well before I walked into a Ferrari dealership. Short of the FXXK, I think the competition offers a superior product.

I'll be completely honest with my experience...I went into my local dealer to buy a new Ferrari. Was told I would have to buy a used one first, get on a list. So I said, no thanks and went to another dealer in Vegas. Was told they wouldn't sell me a new car because I had to purchase from my geographic locale. I explained to the dipshit salesman that I owned a home in Vegas as well, so I didn't see a problem. He then said I'd have to buy a used one first. I said F U and walked away. Hubby suggested I look at Lamborghini and the rest is history (we are on Lambo #3 in 5 years).

The irony is that the general manager of the local Ferrari dealer, who I see regularly at exotic car drives, said that he'd be happy to sell me a new Ferrari to earn my business back. I said, no thanks.

So maybe some people buy Lamborghinis initially because they can't get into a new Ferrari, like myself...but maybe some people choose to buy a Lamborghini over a Ferrari because they like the brand better or the car better. Frankly now, Ferrari, other than the big V12's, hold no appeal for me...milk-toast comes to mind.

The Ferrari supercars are in a league of their own. I love every one of them, even the F50 which was somewhat of a disappointment . Their regular production cars have become quite boring looks wise, the performance is top notch.

I have never bought one because of all the bullshit associated with buying a new car from the dealer and quite frankly have come across a lot of douchey owners . Having said that, i have met a lot of douchey Lambo owners too, the new crowd is not any different that the Ferrari crowd ,20 years ago, it was different.

Love or hate Ferrari, their marketing is supreme but i agree with Frosty, as the market is becoming more and more competitive, the 2 year wait and all associated bullshit will eventually come to an end.

The thing is, Lambo is not what it used to be either. Their cars are nowhere as exclusive as they used to be, economics dictated that , especially when your parent company is VW and they expect the brand to be profitable. VW is not interested in a Pagani or Konigssegg like outfit that produces 50 to 100 cars a year , they have Bugatti for what.

I do believe Lambo is on the right path, best bang for the buck for an exotic and the URUS will ensure that the brand gets quite healthy pretty fast , the Cayenne saved Porsche's ass during difficult times.

Would i buy a Ferrari now ? A coming supercar yes but nothing else excites me . I will definitely buy another Lambo when i am finished restoring my 3 cars that are taking a lifetime.

I'll be completely honest with my experience...I went into my local dealer to buy a new Ferrari. Was told I would have to buy a used one first, get on a list. So I said, no thanks and went to another dealer in Vegas. Was told they wouldn't sell me a new car because I had to purchase from my geographic locale. I explained to the dipshit salesman that I owned a home in Vegas as well, so I didn't see a problem. He then said I'd have to buy a used one first. I said F U and walked away. Hubby suggested I look at Lamborghini and the rest is history (we are on Lambo #3 in 5 years).

The irony is that the general manager of the local Ferrari dealer, who I see regularly at exotic car drives, said that he'd be happy to sell me a new Ferrari to earn my business back. I said, no thanks.

So maybe some people buy Lamborghinis initially because they can't get into a new Ferrari, like myself...but maybe some people choose to buy a Lamborghini over a Ferrari because they like the brand better or the car better. Frankly now, Ferrari, other than the big V12's, hold no appeal for me...milk-toast comes to mind.

I feel sorry for Vegas....heard Wynn gave up the Ferrari dealership after selling ThethetheFerrari to a friend....

So now you have the Towbin dealership which is an absolutely shitfck dealership. I tried to buy the white MurcieSV from Towbin last year and offered them good $.....ended up buying a different MurcieSV. I now know that Towbin sold their white SV for lower than what I offered. Absolute idiots. I know someone that worked there, and said it was an absolute mess there.

I don't take money from any of the two nor I have a new Ferrari or a Lambo. But I know very well the two factories as they are very close here around and I know in person many workers and suppliers of both factories.

Some points they all tell me, talking in person:

-Ferrari first goal is to gain money so they save every cent they can.

-Lamborghini quality is far ahead

-Lamborghini reliability is far ahead (V10 cars, ties on V12 cars)

-Lamborghini are best looking, or at least they still have the old Italian design and not the Far East one that now rules at Ferrari

-Ferrari engines are still a bit better as power output

-Lamborghini first goal is not to gain money: they just want to build better cars than Ferrari (not easy, but possible)

-Ferrari California is a shame

-Ferrari thinks to be the White House while Lamborghini just thinks to be a VIP friend you have

-Ferrari will do the Dino (V6) to reach the 10000 units per year.

I saw in person at a very well known suppliers building the two different production lines: the Ferrari products line and the Lamborghini products line. The material cost for the Lamborghini product is twice (two times).

This said, I'm very proud they both are Italian and very close to my home.

ciao

I don't take money from any of the two nor I have a new Ferrari or a Lambo. But I know very well the two factories as they are very close here around and I know in person many workers and suppliers of both factories.

-Lamborghini are best looking, or at least they still have the old Italian design and not the Far East one that now rules at Ferrari

-Lamborghini first goal is not to gain money: they just want to build better cars than Ferrari (not easy, but possible)

-Ferrari thinks to be the White House while Lamborghini just thinks to be a VIP friend you have

I saw in person at a very well known suppliers building the two different production lines: the Ferrari products line and the Lamborghini products line. The material cost for the Lamborghini product is twice (two times).

ciao

Enough said. We are fortunate to have choices for sure.

ciao

I like the parts "Lamborghini first goal is not to gain money: they just want to build better cars than Ferrari." "Ferrari thinks to be the White House while Lamborghini just thinks to be a VIP friend you have" All in all as the exotic car arena has gotten really competitive now, the indepedent exotic car makers will have a difficult time keeping up and sadly many will eventually fade away, leaving big corporations who dont mind not making money on that brand and outlast others in the process all to build brand equity 15 years down the line. Audi being the parent for Lamborghini is overall good and ensures this brand survives and outlast many others. I think Lamborghini has gained tremendous ground in the last 15 years to where they are a viable alternative to Ferrari and certainly have carved out their niche to younger audience that dont desire to be punished for being successful by a dealership in order to get a mildly styled car that rely less on soul stirring designs and more on the whispers of long gone glory days of the past...

ciao

Good post.

Was there anything from the Lamborghini factory, about rooting for Ferrari F1 out of national pride? :icon_mrgreen:

Nice to see the factory worker opinions on these cars......also curious about regular non car enthusiast Italians and their take on these two. My guess is they love both.

There's an article out where Macchione criticizes the California pretty thoroughly.

Good post.

Thanks, but it's no more than an opinion like others.

Was there anything from the Lamborghini factory, about rooting for Ferrari F1 out of national pride? :icon_mrgreen:

I'm sorry, I don't know anything.

Nice to see the factory worker opinions on these cars......also curious about regular non car enthusiast Italians and their take on these two. My guess is they love both.

We all (Italians) love both brands, of course, but the non car enthusiast likes much more Ferrari due to their long and succesful F1 racing activiity, as F1 motorsport is very very popular here (on the tv...)

There's an article out where Macchione criticizes the California pretty thoroughly.

I don't like Marchionne, but the California (a great car that I drove and appreciated a lot) is much more like a Maserati GT (like the 3500 GT, one of the best Maserati ever) rather than a Ferrari, as it hasn't much of the typical Ferrari DNA (top performances, perfect for a track day, racing emotions and so on)

ciao

"People buy Lamborghinis because they can’t get their hands on a Ferrari"

I see huge problem. They have no inventory, they have customers but they have no product for them.

And he aknowledges that they go to competitor because of that, but is not going to do anything for the problem because he thinks it's funny and being smug about it.

If I was shareholder that would piss me of big time.

Way wrong.

Check Instagram and talk to the young kids around you, all the young exotic spotters, etc. Check with your local dealers to see how many walk into the Lamborghini showroom and how many walk into the Ferrari one.

Anyway you do realize that most of the comments here made by members are in their opinion only? It's not like I held an opinion pole, my comment it's based on my own observation and experiences only.

Style, quality, reliability Lamborghini hands down and I agree with Albert's comment on Ferrari's "Far East" style.

The last few Ferraris I owned were for sure lacking in quality. Why should the door on a $240k car not open when it's cold outside? Why should the roof malfunction at 3000 miles and scratch the body? Why should the alarm be stuck on and the emergency "Red Remote" not be able to overide? For now I'm a Lambo guy.