Aventador SV-J Discussion and New Information

LVolkan

Either way, to finish a long production run and post that time, it's really impressive. Shows you what a rabbit hole all the hypercar hybrid car malarkey was.

It's a very fast time indeed, super impressive given the weight of the Aventador platform in general. I'd keep in mind though that the "Holy Trinity" as they are called are on tires from a long time ago, relatively speaking. ThethetheFerrari used PZero Corsas, P1 used Corsas (occasionally off-the-shelf Trofeos), and the 918 used the rather old Michelin Cup 2 tires.

I'd be surprised if these 3 cars weren't still a the top of the food chain if you gave them the latest tires. Heck, the Maserati MC12 did 7:24s back in 2008 when they gave it more modern tires. That thing could very well be under 7 minutes with modern tires. The advancements really have been enormous in tire technology. Perhaps it's at the expense of cold and wet performance or even longevity, but that's probably OK for cars that largely see low mileage and nice weather.

Also, Lamborghini is making a multi-million dollar hybrid as we speak and that Porsche 919 definitely benefits from the electrical power. I think the hybrid stuff was maybe a little ahead of its time, but I think it's still the best at the moment. If batteries can get denser and cheaper, I can only imagine how much performance they stand to gain. Just look at that VW ID Pikes Peak race car. It shows just how potent electrical power can be.

But whatever the case, today is a fantastic time to be a Lamborghini fan. They've never been better!

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's a very fast time indeed, super impressive given the weight of the Aventador platform in general. I'd keep in mind though that the "Holy Trinity" as they are called are on tires from a long time ago, relatively speaking. ThethetheFerrari used PZero Corsas, P1 used Corsas (occasionally off-the-shelf Trofeos), and the 918 used the rather old Michelin Cup 2 tires.

I'd be shocked if all 3 of these cars weren't still a the top of the food chain if you gave them the latest tires. Heck, the Maserati MC12 did 7:24s back in 2008 when they gave it more modern tires. That thing could very well be under 7 minutes with modern tires.

Also, Lamborghini is making a multi-million dollar hybrid as we speak and that Porsche 919 definitely benefits from the electrical power. I think the hybrid stuff was maybe a little ahead of its time, but I think it's still the best at the moment.

But whatever the case, today is a fantastic time to be a Lamborghini fan. They've never been better!

New tires would obviously help, are you sure all of the holy trinity could do a lap of the Nurburgring without running out of battery power? 918 can, not sold on the other 2. The 919 is a full-on modified race car that it is not race (anymore) or road legal.

Hi Kinsella,

Am I sure? Hehe, not at all. I have no idea what happens to the battery power in any of those cars on the Nordschleife. It's a bit of a how long is a piece of string kind of question. The Nordschliefe is really long, so given a long enough lap or long enough race, all cars will run out of fuel, be it gasoline or electricity. All cars will run out of tire too. When each car runs out of what is anyone's guess.

Based on absolutely no experience of my own and being a complete armchair racer, I think that those 3 cars will be quicker on any reasonable length circuit. Might they run out of juice on the Nordschliefe? Sure, but maybe the Jota runs out of fuel quicker on multiple laps or wears the tires too quickly with it's weight.

Hot laps is a great way to sell cars, but there's a reason that real motorsport has rules :)

Disclaimer: I only like rally racing and don't pay too much attention to traditional motorsport.

New tires would obviously help, are you sure all of the holy trinity could do a lap of the Nurburgring without running out of battery power? 918 can, not sold on the other 2. The 919 is a full-on modified race car that it is not race (anymore) or road legal.

Amazing accomplishment Lamborghini!

As far as the Trinity, the 918 was out of juice three quarters of the way through one lap at the ring. You can watch it happen on the official video that was released by looking at the charge gauge. On top of that they weren't on the most aggressive setting to make the charge last. To attempt a record time in the 918 on tracks like Laguna Seca that are shorter they had to run a hot lap that would completely drain the batteries, then two "regen" laps coasting around until they were fully charged to try another hot lap.

Not many really care about hot laps unless you are 14 and you like to talk rubbish on YouTube comments section.

They sell with and without records and IMO they do because the Aventador fills a gap with no direct competitor in it’s price bracket, mid engine V12 spaceship looking piece of carbon, you want anything close to that combo you will have to pay at least twice as much and unless you bought a lot of rubbish in order to be anointed you will not be getting one so there is no use even talking about it.

This record helps the Aventador series go out with the Big Bang it deserves and that’s what makes me most excited about it, I’d would buy one with or without the record.

I am very surprised Ferrari did not build a direct Aventador competitor, they have a great V12 but they chose to shoehorn it into a clown shoe looking body and they mount it at the front, not interested, missed opportunity IMO because Ferrari would kill it with a mid engine V12 direct Aventador competitor.

I guess, why would they care? They have so many fanatic followers that they probably make more from selling merchandise than cars. Having said that I’d love to see the NA V12 from Ferrari mid mounted in a body which looks close to the Aventador, that would be a Ferrari I’d be interested in.

This is like your favorite team winning the final, just because I can go and buy the same soccer boots and run around in them that doesn’t make me as good as the pros.

It feels very sweet because the underdog got few wins under its belt :icon_thumleft:

Amazing accomplishment Lamborghini!

As far as the Trinity, the 918 was out of juice three quarters of the way through one lap at the ring. You can watch it happen on the official video that was released by looking at the charge gauge. On top of that they weren't on the most aggressive setting to make the charge last. To attempt a record time in the 918 on tracks like Laguna Seca that are shorter they had to run a hot lap that would completely drain the batteries, then two "regen" laps coasting around until they were fully charged to try another hot lap.

The 918 is a phenomenal car I’d love to own one.

With no turbos and no electric assists like in the 918 Spyder and the P1

A job well done in navigating the Ring real fast.

But the engine is not the reason why.

Not many really care about hot laps unless you are 14 and you like to talk rubbish on YouTube comments section.

They sell with and without records and IMO they do because the Aventador fills a gap with no direct competitor in it’s price bracket, mid engine V12 spaceship looking piece of carbon, you want anything close to that combo you will have to pay at least twice as much and unless you bought a lot of rubbish in order to be anointed you will not be getting one so there is no use even talking about it.

This record helps the Aventador series go out with the Big Bang it deserves and that’s what makes me most excited about it, I’d would buy one with or without the record.

I am very surprised Ferrari did not build a direct Aventador competitor, they have a great V12 but they chose to shoehorn it into a clown shoe looking body and they mount it at the front, not interested, missed opportunity IMO because Ferrari would kill it with a mid engine V12 direct Aventador competitor.

I guess, why would they care? They have so many fanatic followers that they probably make more from selling merchandise than cars. Having said that I’d love to see the NA V12 from Ferrari mid mounted in a body which looks close to the Aventador, that would be a Ferrari I’d be interested in.

This is like your favorite team winning the final, just because I can go and buy the same soccer boots and run around in them that doesn’t make me as good as the pros.

It feels very sweet because the underdog got few wins under its belt :icon_thumleft:

Fortis, I agree with your analysis. Some like me value the track prowess of cars because I track all my sports cars to varying degrees! Here is a video someone posted of me tracking my 50th Anniversary Roadster!

Closest mid-engined series production competition Ferrari had was the 512BB to Compete with the Countach.

Interesting... :eusa_think:

I can see it being totally feasible. Remember, the McLaren F1 did 241 mph with 618 hp and only 479 ft/lbs torque...The original LP700 can do 230+ (confirmed to me by 2 separate race drivers at Lamborghini, one dealer contact and one factory contact) and with the S having more power, revised driving dynamics and aero, I could see it getting to 240. I tracked S and the car got to 160 mph without breaking a sweat, unlike other car's I've driven that start to lose their balls around 150. The Aventador S has 730 hp and 510 ft/lb torque, so while it has more weight, it has 100 hp more, 40 more torque, and 25 years of driving dynamics.

And it's single clutch! :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:

The F1 did have a much better power/weight ratio then than the SVJ has even now - 2,500 lbs being pushed by 618 hp versus at least another 1,000 with only another 100 hp. Still though, it's hard to process 230-240 mph for a street exotic unless downforce was minimized. The increased drag from 200-230 is massive, far more than what is there from 150-180 or 120-150.

Getting high top speed is not very hard if that's all you want, but if you want a proper handling machine it's often sacrificed.

Fortis, I agree with your analysis. Some like me value the track prowess of cars because I track all my sports cars to varying degrees! Here is a video someone posted of me tracking my 50th Anniversary Roadster!

Closest mid-engined series production competition Ferrari had was the 512BB to Compete with the Countach.

That sound is intoxicating!! Looks like you are having a blast, I wish I had a race track like that near where I live.

On a separate note, I am dying to see the SVJ without the camo wrap!

Ferrari's by tradition goes with the Front engined V12 which is always their flagship. Their special series cars (F40, F50, Enzo, La-Ferrari) are much more my taste and really show what they can do...Not to say that the 488 is anything to sneeze at. I hope the 488 Replacement is like the J50, because that car was properly wild, not a recycled Pinnenferina design liketheir current line up.

For the SVJ to be king of the ring it's a great vindicating moment for all the Lambo fans who for years had to hear "It's not a proper car." And as an Aventador fan it's always a treat to see that your favorite car has some bragging rights, especially when I have dinners with my Porsche friends.

The F1 did have a much better power/weight ratio then than the SVJ has even now - 2,500 lbs being pushed by 618 hp versus at least another 1,000 with only another 100 hp. Still though, it's hard to process 230-240 mph for a street exotic unless downforce was minimized. The increased drag from 200-230 is massive, far more than what is there from 150-180 or 120-150.

Getting high top speed is not very hard if that's all you want, but if you want a proper handling machine it's often sacrificed.

Very true, and in reality unless you're a Chiron top speed doesn't matter. But it's just cool to know what it's capable of.

The camouflaged Aventador SVJ with official Lamborghini driver Marco Mapelli at the helm, took on the lap-time test at the 20.6 km track. The challenge was managed by Lamborghini’s Research and Development team, with extensive tire support from Pirelli technicians and driver. Fitted with cameras inside and out and full telemetry, under the formal scrutiny of Remak personnel who managed time and GPS certification using VBOX-Racelogic instrumentation, the lap attempt of the Aventador SVJ was performed during an exclusive session on the Nürburgring Nordschleife.

For the benefit of the army of time wasting YouTube commenters out there.

My best guess is that after Ferrari had a nice run with the 288, F40, and F50 the thought was that the mid engined supercar flagship would be limited edition only.

Build a front engined V12 like tradition (all Italian V12s prior to the Miura), as it makes more money for the company.

I think the logic is that if they built a mid engined V12 Aventador competitor, it would leave less room for the hypercar and be less profitable than a GT.

BTW, while I prefer the mid engine V12 concept over front engine, do realize that the front engine GT market is a real and needed market, and if Ferrari abandoned it they would be ceding it completely to Aston Martin, Bentley, etc.

On the flip side to this argument -- can/will Lamborghini build a proper 2 seat front engine V12 GT that will be competitive (i.e. sell)?

Can they make a better looking car than an 812 or DBS?

My best guess is that after Ferrari had a nice run with the 288, F40, and F50 the thought was that the mid engined supercar flagship would be limited edition only.

Build a front engined V12 like tradition (all Italian V12s prior to the Miura), as it makes more money for the company.

I think the logic is that if they built a mid engined V12 Aventador competitor, it would leave less room for the hypercar and be less profitable than a GT.

BTW, while I prefer the mid engine V12 concept over front engine, do realize that the front engine GT market is a real and needed market, and if Ferrari abandoned it they would be ceding it completely to Aston Martin, Bentley, etc.

On the flip side to this argument -- can/will Lamborghini build a proper 2 seat front engine V12 GT that will be competitive (i.e. sell)?

Can they make a better looking car than an 812 or DBS?

Making a better looking car than a 812? I could do that and I can’t draw to save my life :icon_mrgreen:

The Bentleys and Astons are proper GT, the front engined Ferraris are somewhat of a in between.

Making a better looking car than a 812? I could do that and I can’t draw to save my life :icon_mrgreen:

The Bentleys and Astons are proper GT, the front engined Ferraris are somewhat of a in between.

Gotta agree with you here. The 812 just doesn't look individual enough. almost looks like a viper. I liked the F12 much better.....

What a fantastic day for us Lamborghini lovers around the world!! The end of an era (raw V12, no hybrid assist) and it goes out with the ultimate BANG.

Marco Mapelli = BALLS OF fcuking STEEL again. That is a BIG car to be throwing around like that. Jeeze!

Great company. Fantastic car. I am like a proud parent today!

:iamwithstupid: amen

They have to be sporty, no? :lol2:

Gotta agree with you here. The 812 just doesn't look individual enough. almost looks like a viper. I liked the F12 much better.....

And the F12 sucked when it was the current car, I'm sure. :icon_mrgreen:

The irony is that if Lamborghini attempted a front engined V12 GT, they probably couldn't make it as nice as anything Ferrari made (and "probably" is being rather generous here).

What a fantastic day for us Lamborghini lovers around the world!! The end of an era (raw V12, no hybrid assist) and it goes out with the ultimate BANG.

Marco Mapelli = BALLS OF fcuking STEEL again. That is a BIG car to be throwing around like that. Jeeze!

Great company. Fantastic car. I am like a proud parent today!

This is very exciting!

They've been combating the "only looks good but is heavy and not a hardcore drivers car" stereotype pretty violently the last few years.

Car is an absolute monster in every way, what a lap!!

It might not even need RWD for the full violence :shock:

The SVJ might not be number limited according to this article...

Capable of producing 490 kilograms (1,080 pounds) of downforce at maximum velocity, the Aventador SVJ is equipped with unpadded carbon buckets similar in design to the uncomfortable seats we know from the Super Veloce. There’s no word on pricing for the time being (expect the Super Veloce Jota to cost more than $500,000), but more surprisingly, production won’t be limited to 600 examples of the breed.

At the Vallelunga circuit near Rome where Lamborghini invited the motoring media to try out the Aventador SVJ, the automaker made it clear that the Super Veloce Jota is more Huracan Performante than Aventador SV in terms of exclusivity. Be that as it may, don’t expect to see too many of these babies on the street because Lamborghini has always been more exclusive than Ferrari regarding build numbers.

Full article here: https://www.autoevolution.com/news/2019-lam...ASS-127418.html

They have to be sporty, no? :lol2:

And the F12 sucked when it was the current car, I'm sure. :icon_mrgreen:

The irony is that if Lamborghini attempted a front engined V12 GT, they probably couldn't make it as nice as anything Ferrari made (and "probably" is being rather generous here).

This is 100% better looking than the 812:

lamborghini_estoque_1.jpg