Aventador SV-J Discussion and New Information

LVolkan

My argument against this would be the Porsche 911. Porsche currently makes 26 variations of their 911 model, all of which are based on the same platform. So how do you explain the market value difference between a regular 911 Carrera vs. 911 GT2RS? Based on your logic below, the 911 GT2RS is essentially a 911 with different bumpers, added wings, modified engine and beefed up suspension. Sounds familiar? Yup, that's the Aventador SVJ in a nutshell.

Here is my theory on why historically Lamborghini has held poor resale value. Lack of proper engineering and not being a driver's car. If you look at Ferrari or Porsche, these brands all have their regular customers and then there are enthusiasts (car guys with serious pockets). I know I would never buy a regular 911 Carrera and be happy with it, so that's why I buy the GT2RS. Just like I have no interest in buying a 2006 Gallardo SE, because it drives like crap and it's not special, but I would love to buy a 288 GTO or a 2011 GT3RS 4.0 (both of which are based off of a mass produced platforms).

So let's look at cars that Lamborghini has made in the past 20 years that collectors are going after. There aren't many and only a few special models are holding their value because of the rarity (eg. Murci LP670SV manual). Because of this, most of the current Lamborghini customers falls under the regular customers category and the customers in this category are always going for the latest and the greatest. It's like fashion, they want to be seen and look cool. That's why cars like the Ferrari California, Portofino, Porsche 911 Turbo and etc, never hold value because they too, are bought by the regular customers.

While production quantity plays a factor in determining a car's overall value, I think the most important factor that determines the car's "value and collectability" is proper engineering and producing a great driver's car. Another good example would be the value difference between a 996 GT3 vs. 997.2 GT3. Even though technically, a 996 GT3 is much more rare, the market clearly prefers the 997.2 GT3 and for good reasons.

Growing up with a Countach poster on my wall made me a Lamborghini fan for life. But there is no denying that in order for Lamborghini to be accepted by the car world, it needs to better in terms of building better driver's cars. Hopefully with the Performante and the SVJ, this is the start of that change. Please, no more stupid bodykit specials like the Reventon or Centenario. We ain't that dumb!

Yes. And they're making over 10,000 Aventadors. You can't compare the Ford GT or Carrera GT or whatever to just the SVJ run. You have to compare it to the entire Aventador run because they are all Aventadors. And that's why the values never climb. There's too many and the market agrees.

When Ferrari makes a limited edition, it's an entirely different car. What Lamborghini does is dress up an existing model. The Reventon was a Murcielago. The Veneno and Centenario are Aventadors. There's just no getting around that. And that's the difference that the market sees. You buy an ThethetheFerrari or 918 and you are buying a totally different car. Yes there will be some homology in some mechanical aspects and switchgear, but it's not a 911 with new aero and lipstick.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

911 has a cult following and a different price point new, having said that I’ve never understood why some of them are as collectible.

Speaking of Porsche, I just remembered, I actually forgot to add that the most amount of money I’ve ever lost on a car was on a “collectible” GT4, I think it was about $75k LOL

They are hyped at release, they go over RRP in 12 to 16 months when the new egg comes out say good bye to $100k plus, at least that’s how the market is here.

They are all money or opportunity losers but we will always buy them because we are diseased LOL

My argument against this would be the Porsche 911. Porsche currently makes 26 variations of their 911 model, all of which are based on the same platform. So how do you explain the market value difference between a regular 911 Carrera vs. 911 GT2RS? Based on your logic below, the 911 GT2RS is essentially a 911 with different bumpers, added wings, modified engine and beefed up suspension. Sounds familiar? Yup, that's the Aventador SVJ in a nutshell.

Here is my theory on why historically Lamborghini has held poor resale value. Lack of proper engineering and not being a driver's car. If you look at Ferrari or Porsche, these brands all have their regular customers and then there are enthusiasts (car guys with serious pockets). I know I would never buy a regular 911 Carrera and be happy with it, so that's why I buy the GT2RS. Just like I have no interest in buying a 2006 Gallardo SE, because it drives like crap and it's not special, but I would love to buy a 288 GTO or a 2011 GT3RS 4.0 (both of which are based off of a mass produced platforms).

So let's look at cars that Lamborghini has made in the past 20 years that collectors are going after. There aren't many and only a few special models are holding their value because of the rarity (eg. Murci LP670SV manual). Because of this, most of the current Lamborghini customers falls under the regular customers category and the customers in this category are always going for the latest and the greatest. It's like fashion, they want to be seen and look cool. That's why cars like the Ferrari California, Portofino, Porsche 911 Turbo and etc, never hold value because they too, are bought by the regular customers.

While production quantity plays a factor in determining a car's overall value, I think the most important factor that determines the car's "value and collectability" is proper engineering and producing a great driver's car. Another good example would be the value difference between a 996 GT3 vs. 997.2 GT3. Even though technically, a 996 GT3 is much more rare, the market clearly prefers the 997.2 GT3 and for good reasons.

Growing up with a Countach poster on my wall made me a Lamborghini fan for life. But there is no denying that in order for Lamborghini to be accepted by the car world, it needs to better in terms of building better driver's cars. Hopefully with the Performante and the SVJ, this is the start of that change. Please, no more stupid bodykit specials like the Reventon or Centenario. We ain't that dumb!

Totally agree - they have always been peacocks. The porsche reference is actually very true, I never thought of it that way before. The only difference I'd say though is that they make them so hard to get - but maybe that's a sort of chicken and egg thing where the better performance drove demand which reduced supply, etc. Given it's price bracket though, it's hard to compare them to a $200k Porsche - I see them more like in Senna or 918 territory. The problem is that those are real single variant cars vs modified versions of mass produced ones.

Because some of them are true driver's car with proper engineering, solid built quality/dependability and you can beat it all day long. The feeling you get from driving those special 911s grows under your skin over time. I know it sounds weird, but that's the best way I can describe it.

Lamborghini has a cult following too :icon_super:

911 has a cult following and a different price point new, having said that I’ve never understood why some of them are as collectible.

Because some of them are true driver's car with proper engineering, solid built quality/dependability and you can beat it all day long. The feeling you get from driving those special 911s grows under your skin over time. I know it sounds weird, but that's the best way I can describe it.

Lamborghini has a cult following too :icon_super:

I do like the 911 cars, I had few of the old ones but I’ve never got into the new ones, my local dealer is a bit of an arrogant dick, he thinks he’s selling the cure to some untreatable disease LOL

Yes Lambo has a huge cult following which mostly consists of broke teenagers as for P cars those accountants have money :icon_mrgreen:

It's funny watching all you argue over the SVJ was a good idea or not. It's not my cup of tea, but 86 pages in on this thread I'm sure Lamborghini will sell every one. They only moved 186 Murci SVs. Times have changed.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/31/2018 at 7:50 PM, Fortis said:

I do like the 911 cars, I had few of the old ones but I’ve never got into the new ones, my local dealer is a bit of an arrogant dick, he thinks he’s selling the cure to some untreatable disease LOL

Yes Lambo has a huge cult following which mostly consists of broke teenagers as for P cars those accountants have money :icon_mrgreen:

And we are back baby! Lambo Power is back!

It's weird for me.  I have more than 15 Lamborghini car models in the house but only 3 Porsche car models.  Yet I have 12 Porsches and 1 Lambo in the garage.  I think it's time for the little boy inside me to take charge and welcome the SVJ to my family!

1 hour ago, Unotaz said:

And we are back baby! Lambo Power is back!

It's weird for me.  I have more than 15 Lamborghini car models in the house but only 3 Porsche car models.  Yet I have 12 Porsches and 1 Lambo in the garage.  I think it's time for the little boy inside me to take charge and welcome the SVJ to my family!

We are back but damn this site looks weird now, where is the black skin?? Anyway that's a discussion for another day. 

I can not believe you have 12 Porsches LOL that's crazy! You definitely need more Lambos to counter balance it. 

If any of you might have missed it ... I did put together a brand new configurator for the Aventador SVJ.

The Coupé version is up and running : http://www.lamboconfig.com/lamboconfigurator_vfballlea02lalol0oo0lloaaall0j61llaoalaaaaaaaaaaaa.html

The Roadster version is still in the works ... all the options are there, but the exterior views don't show the interior options yet ... working on that as we speak

But you can already have some fun: http://www.lamboconfig.com/lamboconfigurator_wfbblllea02lalol0oo0llobaall0j58llaoalaeaaaaafaaaa.html

And best of all ... no more layers and only copying the logo ... you now get a jpg file you can download or copy ... much easier.

@Unotaz What color did you order and when will it arrive? I did Verde Themis with some Ad Personam exterior / interior changes, have been told it's possible mine may be here before Christmas. Apparently they still haven't locked orders and started production yet though so that's probably wishful thinking. 

7 hours ago, porter said:

How many SVJ buyers were yes before the release, and now are no?

I am no on the coupe at this stage, I want to see the Roadster. 

48 minutes ago, Fortis said:

I am no on the coupe at this stage, I want to see the Roadster. 

I dont blame you, there is an SV coupe that is totally awesome and available, but currently with my AV roadster I just cannot pull the trigger, if a SV roadster comes available with the right colour combo I'm all in, it seems lately that they are really holding their price & and I can see why. If I was going SVJ it would be roadster for sure...the down side is the wait times...arggg!

16 minutes ago, RDW said:

I dont blame you, there is an SV coupe that is totally awesome and available, but currently with my AV roadster I just cannot pull the trigger, if a SV roadster comes available with the right colour combo I'm all in, it seems lately that they are really holding their price & and I can see why. If I was going SVJ it would be roadster for sure...the down side is the wait times...arggg!

11 hours ago, LamboCARS said:

If any of you might have missed it ... I did put together a brand new configurator for the Aventador SVJ.

The Coupé version is up and running : http://www.lamboconfig.com/lamboconfigurator_vfballlea02lalol0oo0lloaaall0j61llaoalaaaaaaaaaaaa.html

The Roadster version is still in the works ... all the options are there, but the exterior views don't show the interior options yet ... working on that as we speak

But you can already have some fun: http://www.lamboconfig.com/lamboconfigurator_wfbblllea02lalol0oo0llobaall0j58llaoalaeaaaaafaaaa.html

And best of all ... no more layers and only copying the logo ... you now get a jpg file you can download or copy ... much easier.

Your new configurator is incredible. THANK YOU

12 hours ago, LamboCARS said:

EPIC! Any way the front bumper and side sill color can be independent? Trying to render a black front pumper without the side being black also. Regardless, your efforts always amaze!

After looking at the SVJ's on youtube, the ones without the big logo on the side appear far cleaner.  Also, I wonder i the black parts on the "nostrils" can be colour coded, also to give the car a cleaner look.

7 hours ago, porter said:

Your new configurator is incredible. THANK YOU

thank you, took me a while to get it right, but it works nicely now.

7 hours ago, Supercar Ace said:

EPIC! Any way the front bumper and side sill color can be independent? Trying to render a black front pumper without the side being black also. Regardless, your efforts always amaze!

That will take some work, as the 'livery' is also coupled to that ... front bumper lower section, side sills and rear bumper are all linked together as seen on the SVJ63 ... but it can be done, sure. How urgent do you need that online? Or would you like me to do a custom render for you? In that case, PM me the specs and I will put it together for you, offline.

4 hours ago, LamboCARS said:

thank you, took me a while to get it right, but it works nicely now.

That will take some work, as the 'livery' is also coupled to that ... front bumper lower section, side sills and rear bumper are all linked together as seen on the SVJ63 ... but it can be done, sure. How urgent do you need that online? Or would you like me to do a custom render for you? In that case, PM me the specs and I will put it together for you, offline.

Not urgent by any means...You're busy enough I'm sure. I'll PM you a spec :icon_thumleft:

Just went and saw it, what a beast! The side vents are enormous and the rear of the car is insane. 

Side note - if you are even remotely tall, the buckets are just not doable. Going back to the comfort seats in another coupe made me feel like I was in a Caddy. 

2 hours ago, Luxeous said:

Just went and saw it, what a beast! The side vents are enormous and the rear of the car is insane. 

Side note - if you are even remotely tall, the buckets are just not doable. Going back to the comfort seats in another coupe made me feel like I was in a Caddy. 

How tall are you Luxeous?

2 hours ago, porter said:

How tall are you Luxeous?

6'6". The problem for taller guys is actually 2 fold with seats like that - 1 is that you can't sit slightly bow-legged as the sides hold your hips in too much. The second is that without being able to recline, my head actually touches the roof. In contrast, I had about 2" of headroom left in the comfort seat coupe with a significantly more comfortable driving position.