My new lift

Roman

Installed today... Love it... Lots of thanks to sheldon and Alpha6164

17806949_10208715459230531_1400989626_n.jpg

Challenger is one of the best companies. Very strong, super reliable.

I need a lift in my life.

I have no idea why the whole thing doesnt fall over.

You could always park your Murci at my place for free.

:icon_thumleft: I would have had I not had my in law's garage available. Now it's at the new house but I want to get a lift to keep it safe and make space for another vehicle.

:icon_thumleft: I would have had I not had my in law's garage available. Now it's at the new house but I want to get a lift to keep it safe and make space for another vehicle.

lift looks great

you have a B I G garage

Congratulations on the lift.

Maybe I am a bit paranoid, however it looks like you set the posts up on top of the race deck tiles.

I do not see any anchor bolts securing the legs in place.

Are you sure it has the required integrity?

All might work well now but what about fatigue over time.

My thoughts on installing a lift is shim and level directly on the concrete then grout between the base plate and concrete to distribute the loads evenly throughout the plates.

Sincerely Vic

Congratulations on the lift.

Maybe I am a bit paranoid, however it looks like you set the posts up on top of the race deck tiles.

I do not see any anchor bolts securing the legs in place.

Are you sure it has the required integrity?

All might work well now but what about fatigue over time.

My thoughts on installing a lift is shim and level directly on the concrete then grout between the base plate and concrete to distribute the loads evenly throughout the plates.

Sincerely Vic

Racedeck says it's not a problem to put the lift over the tiles.

The lift is designed to be moveable (I think they even have casters for them), so there is absolutely no requirement to bolt it down. The FOS on the structure is multiples higher than the lifting capabilities of the hydraulic system (via pressure relief), essentially they make it impossible to overload the lift to the point of being a safety hazard.

As an engineer we worry about everything, but he's more likely to have a colony of beavers on PED's chew through a corner post than this thing is to suffer a fatigue failure.

I have no idea why the whole thing doesnt fall over.

If you think about it, that lengthy span between the posts along with the car weight all around makes it pretty difficult to topple over. I thought the same initially when i got mine. I even ran to the garage in a pretty good CA quake one day to see how it reacts, and found that it sways a bit but still very solid. Regarding bolting it to the ground, my installer said they prefer not to do that because the posts are meant to shimmy slightly during lift operation and when bolting them down they have seen many crack the cement and create even more problems. True I suppose, because I watch mine ever so slightly have some movement during operation. If the Murci is going on top or below, I would like to know how it goes for you, as I only have my Panteras there now which are easy to do. On top with the Murci, I wonder how well it does up & down the ramps for the front whether it scrapes or not or if you need to use ramp extenders; and if storing under the ramp, how the heck do you get in & out considering the sizzor doors. Looks like maybe you have space for the sizzor doors on yours since your vertical lift is so high. For me, I have only a few inches between bottom car & top car & roof.

The lift is designed to be moveable (I think they even have casters for them), so there is absolutely no requirement to bolt it down.

That is awesome, I might have to rethink my upcoming lift purchase as I love the thought of being able to move the thing around my shop.

Yeah... The lift is rated at 9000Lbs. That M3 doesnt weigh 1/3 of that...

and they sell wheels you can put on it to move it around. "Portable" .

If I still lived in earthquake country, Id bolt it probably... Just so the fcuking thing wouldnt walk across the garage and hit the wall or some shit like that....

IMG_8361.JPG

IMG_8362.JPG

lift looks great

you have a B I G garage

You havent seen 1/4 of it....

The race deck looks textured (we have a similar floor).

Will the lift move over those tiles? I'd think it needs a smooth surface to roll.

Looks GREAT!

The race deck looks textured (we have a similar floor).

Will the lift move over those tiles? I'd think it needs a smooth surface to roll.

Looks GREAT!

I can push it a few feet with two other strong guys...

If you think about it, that lengthy span between the posts along with the car weight all around makes it pretty difficult to topple over. I thought the same initially when i got mine. I even ran to the garage in a pretty good CA quake one day to see how it reacts, and found that it sways a bit but still very solid. Regarding bolting it to the ground, my installer said they prefer not to do that because the posts are meant to shimmy slightly during lift operation and when bolting them down they have seen many crack the cement and create even more problems. True I suppose, because I watch mine ever so slightly have some movement during operation. If the Murci is going on top or below, I would like to know how it goes for you, as I only have my Panteras there now which are easy to do. On top with the Murci, I wonder how well it does up & down the ramps for the front whether it scrapes or not or if you need to use ramp extenders; and if storing under the ramp, how the heck do you get in & out considering the sizzor doors. Looks like maybe you have space for the sizzor doors on yours since your vertical lift is so high. For me, I have only a few inches between bottom car & top car & roof.

Yeah... the posts seem to move during lift...

I bought the challenger extended ramps... Its no problem... The front clearance on the M3 is only 5 inches... Much lower than the countach.

I gavent parked the countach under it yet but Im going to go measure

That is an awesome setup.

Lifts scare the hell out of me. I just saw a two-post lift for sale on a local FB yard sale page. I'd be terrified to have that in my garage. Four-post looks less concerning- but no anchors? Yikes.

My chassis is currently on a rotisserie, held on by 4 grade 8.8 M8 bolts at the rear, each of which has about 90ksi yield. I estimate the chassis at 7-800lbs and I still cringe when I turn it, crawl under it.. lol.

It was so much easier to crawl under cars when i was 18 yrs old.

So the countach doors are 80" as best as I can measure when fully opened.

The bottom of the lift runways are at 81" when off the top locks...

Plus, the drivers side runways are hollow... except for some cross braces every few feet. So thats another 6" or so...

I use my lift all the time. I do all my own service work on all my cars and it makes it so much easier. Mine also has the castors and will roll around easy. You just give it a good shove to get it moving and then it rolls around very easy. I move mine all the time. I also have a rolling jack with arms that extend out. This is the cats ass if you ever change tires or do brakes etc. I would never want it bolted to the floor. If you have a bigger garage it's nice to able to move it around.