Heading to S. Korea... uhh.. Sunday.

kmb58

I'm not going to lie, I don't want to go right now.

I am supposed to fly out to Seoul on Sunday with the GM and President of my company and was looking quite forward to this. Now it seems that I am terrified. WWLPMD? (What would Lambo Power Memebers Do?)

One friend suggested I fake my own death before then. It was a great idea but too many details to work out before Sunday.

Jokes aside- yes, we have had the same rigmarole for the past 50 years.. but this time.. with this President.. I'm just not sure its a good idea.

Thoughts?

Don't be so worried. It would be completely asinine for anything to happen courtesy of N Korea given the current state of tension around the globe at the moment. NKs president is bonkers yes, but I don't know that he would willingly risk his country's safety after several failed missile launches and no real victories under his belt. It's all a game to him, but he really doesn't have any backing in the region. What is there to gain if he presses the 'button' right now?

My daughter was there for a month last year on holiday and is headed back over there in August for a year of study. I wouldn't worry about anything escalating from the fat boy. He is a big wind bag.

I would worry more about getting stuck in traffic in downtown Seoul than anything else. You do know that the current president of South Korea has been impeached so, technically, SK currently doesn't have a commander in chief. If NK were to attack, they would have done so a week ago.

Relax and enjoy your trip.

I would worry more about getting stuck in traffic in downtown Seoul than anything else. You do know that the current president of South Korea has been impeached so, technically, SK currently doesn't have a commander in chief. If NK were to attack, they would have done so a week ago.

Relax and enjoy your trip.

It isn't so much about NK attacking SK than it is about NK testing a nuclear weapon and provoking the US, then SK joining in on an attack against NK as allies, correct?

Sorry to go OT. Just curious to ask, since it's slightly OT .

It isn't so much about NK attacking SK than it is about NK testing a nuclear weapon and provoking the US, then SK joining in on an attack against NK as allies, correct?

Sorry to go OT. Just curious to ask, since it's slightly OT .

Very doubtful the US would have any real concern over NK's nuclear testing. NK's nuke technology is in its infancy. You can theorize the rest...

SK isn't ready for war either. They've put up a good front for decades including every teen has to go through mandatory army camp. But highly doubtful that they are prepared for war.

SK also needs to weigh the pros & cons. They ruffled China on the THAAD installation and are now paying dearly for the consequences (tourism from China had virtually come to a grinding halt). So they need to decide on who would offer more economic benefits. SK has enough trouble on their hands already: impeached president, fall out from the "chaebols", high inflation rate and rapidly rising labour cost etc... Most of all, the current younger generation no long have the same mindset as their parents and are not ready or willing to sacrifice for their country. SK simply cannot afford an economic downturn.

Agree with the "don't worry" sentiment.

My guess is that you are hearing whispers of concern and they are being echoed outwardly. Perfectly normal and it can be annoying. There are a good number of friends back home that think Kuwait is a dangerous place to be and while there always exists some potential for something bad, in many ways it is a lot safer than the US.

I'd imagine that in SK as well.

How long are you going for? It sounds like a short trip but has long term overtones to it.

Thanks for all of the feedback. Turns out= trip cancelled. GM sent email to employee who is already there/from there. Said just hold off awhile.

I was never concerned about NK attacking SK. It wasn't about that. It was absolutely about NK running a test to show how big (or small) his c*** is and then our own loose cannon deciding to whip his out. The MOAB was clearly a message and I'm sure it will be answered.

Now I'm trying to talk the GM into using our air fair credit to head to Italy to tour Lamborghini. I mean- we were going to tour a factory that we work with to get a glimpse at innovation that we could take back for our own use. I bet Lamborghini's factory would be more impressive :icon_mrgreen:

Been there a few times for business, you'll be fine, there is more concern over the impeached SK pres than the NK knucklehead and our own windbag

Thanks for all of the feedback. Turns out= trip cancelled. GM sent email to employee who is already there/from there. Said just hold off awhile.

I was never concerned about NK attacking SK. It wasn't about that. It was absolutely about NK running a test to show how big (or small) his c*** is and then our own loose cannon deciding to whip his out. The MOAB was clearly a message and I'm sure it will be answered.

Now I'm trying to talk the GM into using our air fair credit to head to Italy to tour Lamborghini. I mean- we were going to tour a factory that we work with to get a glimpse at innovation that we could take back for our own use. I bet Lamborghini's factory would be more impressive :icon_mrgreen:

IMO, Trump is not any loose cannon akin to Kim Jung-Un. Thus far, Trump has shown he is anything but I think. The MOAB was to send a message, yes, but it was a calculated move. Trump isn't going to do anything that could get a bunch of South Koreans and also Americans who are there killed.

Very doubtful the US would have any real concern over NK's nuclear testing. NK's nuke technology is in its infancy. You can theorize the rest...

SK isn't ready for war either. They've put up a good front for decades including every teen has to go through mandatory army camp. But highly doubtful that they are prepared for war.

SK also needs to weigh the pros & cons. They ruffled China on the THAAD installation and are now paying dearly for the consequences (tourism from China had virtually come to a grinding halt). So they need to decide on who would offer more economic benefits. SK has enough trouble on their hands already: impeached president, fall out from the "chaebols", high inflation rate and rapidly rising labour cost etc... Most of all, the current younger generation no long have the same mindset as their parents and are not ready or willing to sacrifice for their country. SK simply cannot afford an economic downturn.

So curious, why doesn't SK have a commander-in-chief right now? They don't have a Vice President who automatically takes over...? That's kind of dangerous for a country in their position also isn't it, where if the President gets impeached, there's no immediate successor...?