Road trip - NYC to Savannah GA and back + pics from Manhattans Cars and Coffee

tomlang89

Hi Everyone,

I'll be travelling from NYC to Savannah GA and back with a friend starting next Wednesday evening for just over a week, if anyone has any road trip advice / would like to sync up and cruise for a few miles let me know! The Itinerary is below and we have a 1/2 mile drag strip booked all day on Tuesday the 2nd of May in Charleston SC, PM me if you'd like to come by!

Wednesday 26th April - Leave NYC to AC

Thursday 27th April - AC - DC

Friday 28th April DC - Wilmington / Myrtle beach

Saturday 29th April - Wilmington / Myrtle beach

Sunday 30th April - Wilmington / Myrtle beach

Monday 1st May - Wilmington - Charleston

Tuesday 2nd May - Charleston

Track day

Wednesday 3rd May - Charleston - Savannah

Thursday 4th May - Savannah - Richmond

Friday 5th May - Richmond - NYC

I leave you with a few pics from the first Manhattan Cars and Coffee event on April 9th

17760991_1618700931513785_5107458842017411915_o.jpg

17637075_1618700988180446_2080630790480445428_o.jpg

17834904_1618052688245276_7194788083325708837_o.jpg

17880001_1618052698245275_6774461802899728392_o.jpg

17854997_1618701738180371_2581746535864264554_o.jpg

Great looking car, what color is that?

Also I must say, the placement of your plate on the front of your car is making my OCD bounce of the limiter :icon_mrgreen:

Your trip sounds great, enjoy and stay safe.

Great looking car, what color is that?

Also I must say, the placement of your plate on the front of your car is making my OCD bounce of the limiter :icon_mrgreen:

Your trip sounds great, enjoy and stay safe.

Haha I know what you mean.... after 2 parking tickets in NYC for not having a front number plate I gave in and got the tow eye bracket... I'll be taking it off for the road trip though!

The colour is Blu Scuro I believe.

Haha I know what you mean.... after 2 parking tickets in NYC for not having a front number plate I gave in and got the tow eye bracket... I'll be taking it off for the road trip though!

Use double sided 3m tape and stick it in the centre. :icon_mrgreen:

I will look up Scuro, once again, enjoy your trip :icon_thumleft:

Use double sided 3m tape and stick it in the centre. :icon_mrgreen:

I will look up Scuro, once again, enjoy your trip :icon_thumleft:

What I use is the 3M locking velcro. Much better than double sided tape:

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Dual-Lock-Reclosa...VYN643SBPF148AF

It's a gel like adhesive that removes easily without damage, and by being a fvery firm locking velcro, I use it for both my front and rear plates, which I change often for car events.

Really? It looks more like Blu Hera than Scuro from your pics.

Enjoy your trip. Sounds like fun!

Enjoy your trip. Sound like fun!

Also looks like Blu Hera to me...

Damn, I'm jealous...you're hitting up a lot of places I used to live. I'll need to make a similar trip at some point!

The drive down 17 from Myrtle to Charleston and then to Savannah is pretty chill for a cruise, and not too cop infested from my experience. The Charleston to Savannah leg I've found to be more scenic.

Your schedule looks like you won't be spending enough time probably to do detour trips, but should be a lot of fun anyways. Charleston is pretty small so you can see a lot of it, Mt. Pleasant, the three beaches (Isle of Palms, Sullivans, Folly) in not a lot of time. Such a cruise oriented city really.

Enjoy your trip. Sounds like fun!

This is very true... I'll investigate.

Appreciate it, very much looking forward to the drive! The double sided 3M tape is a good shout i'll order some now thanks!

Car looks great. Glad you got the clutch resolved. I'm close to DC!

I haven't actually got it resolved just yet... long story but it's drivable and over winter i'm going to pull the engine, replace the clutch, replace various bits in the transmission upon inspection which will include gears 1-3, syncros bearings etc., new manual gear shaft, upgraded lift system to LP640 and a few other bits to get the transmission working 100%

The clutch issue seems to be that the plates are too thick and they basically don't completely disengage.. still investigating.

If you're about and want to join the drive Thursday the 27th or the 4th let me know!

Damn, I'm jealous...you're hitting up a lot of places I used to live. I'll need to make a similar trip at some point!

The drive down 17 from Myrtle to Charleston and then to Savannah is pretty chill for a cruise, and not too cop infested from my experience. The Charleston to Savannah leg I've found to be more scenic.

Your schedule looks like you won't be spending enough time probably to do detour trips, but should be a lot of fun anyways. Charleston is pretty small so you can see a lot of it, Mt. Pleasant, the three beaches (Isle of Palms, Sullivans, Folly) in not a lot of time. Such a cruise oriented city really.

Have you lived in either Charleston or Savannah? My wife wants to look into both of those places to live.

Have you lived in either Charleston or Savannah? My wife wants to look into both of those places to live.

Charleston.

PM if you like.

The clutch issue seems to be that the plates are too thick and they basically don't completely disengage.. still investigating.

With 1000+ HP, clutches being too thick is a pretty quick and easy thing to fix. Let me know if you need help with that?

With 1000+ HP, clutches being too thick is a pretty quick and easy thing to fix. Let me know if you need help with that?

Tell me more.

I have been informed the best course of action is to replace the clutch with a tried and tested option. We have no idea who installed the current clutch / what brand it is etc.

Tell me more.

I have been informed the best course of action is to replace the clutch with a tried and tested option. We have no idea who installed the current clutch / what brand it is etc.

Smoky burnouts while riding the clutch will thin it out pretty quickly. It must be close to the spec if you are able to drive at all.

Smoky burnouts while riding the clutch will thin it out pretty quickly. It must be close to the spec if you are able to drive at all.

I know what i'm doing Tuesday at the drag strip then! I'll make sure to video this... Maybe I shouldn't have put a brand new set of tires on...

Out of curiosity is it a RPS clutch?

All I've been told is that it was changed after UGR did the build and we have no idea who changed it... if anyone knows the past owner and could help that would be great, if not it's an engine out job over winter to find out more...

Interesting point contrary to the above is the tech I went to said he could see purple marks on each of the clutch bolts which apparently UGR do on their builds like their signature... so he thinks UGR did the clutch. Maybe what happened is the old owner got the UGR clutch rebuilt / re coated perhaps?

Who the hell knows at this point... lol

Stimpy - I spoke with a couple of people on this point and they mentioned this could be quite dangerous as this would most likely just heat up the flywheel and pressure plate creating hot spots which will result in chatter every time the clutch is let out as it's a kevlar clutch they don't burn easily?

All I've been told is that it was changed after UGR did the build and we have no idea who changed it... if anyone knows the past owner and could help that would be great, if not it's an engine out job over winter to find out more...

Interesting point contrary to the above is the tech I went to said he could see purple marks on each of the clutch bolts which apparently UGR do on their builds like their signature... so he thinks UGR did the clutch. Maybe what happened is the old owner got the UGR clutch rebuilt / re coated perhaps?

Who the hell knows at this point... lol

Does the clutch rattle around at idle?