Stock Picks - Post Your Stock Picks

phxdiablo

11K what? Dow? No. I've pulled back all my positions and started looking at shorts. I'm only in 7 stocks right now and 4 of them are closed end funds traded on the NYSE.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holding motorola (MOT), Nevidia (NVDA) - these were some long term holding that I'm up on pretty good. Getting ready to sell them soon here. Picked up some of KOSP that phxdiablo was talking to about after doing to some research on the company. Bought that today.

Ok folks... How long do you give a stock to perform before you sell???

Ive been in Berkshire Hathaway for about 8 weeks now, and its done SHIT.... Hasnt gone up much... Hasnt gone down much... And Im terrified that that particular stock is directly tied to the health of an 80 year old man, who could keel over at any moment...

Any thoughts?

Ok folks... How long do you give a stock to perform before you sell???

Ive been in Berkshire Hathaway for about 8 weeks now, and its done SHIT.... Hasnt gone up much... Hasnt gone down much... And Im terrified that that particular stock is directly tied to the health of an 80 year old man, who could keel over at any moment...

Any thoughts?

it depends, I've been Holding MOT and NVDA since the begining of the year maybe even longer. It never went into the RED so I held it and watched them go up and down and in the past couple months I'm up over $10 per share on NVDA and $8 per share on MOT. highest I've ever seen them. I may be cashing them out here soon.

There are so many opportunities out there -- when I screen stocks, there is just so many great opportunites out there to invest money. From a simplistic perspective, I enter a position if the trend is up. The Advanced Analyzer is such a great tool - I don't know how I found stuff without it. (Well, I usually lost money before it)

If the stock lags / moves sideways for a week or so, I get out. There is better places to put money. If it dives 10%, I get out. If I get a big gain quickly, I dump half the position and keep moving my sell order up.

With PVX I did this - dumped most of the position at a good profit and keep moving my sell order up with the remaining shares. So I ride the winners, take 1/2 profits, and cut losses quickly.

I dumped NURO at an 80% gain two days ago. I felt the trend was over. Today it was down a good % as my speculation was confirmed.

With markets at a 4 year high, I am trimming back -- I think a pull back is on the tables. Im actually screening for shorts. I don't have many positions -- KOSP is my big one and I'm already up about $3K on it and my sell order is above my entry point. I can't lose money on it unless it GAPS DOWN 4-5 pts. Of course, this has been known to happen so I don't want to be too confident.

Once you think you know the market, thats when the markets steps up to the plate and bites you in the ASS.

Stocks are a lot like Poker -- you want cheap looks at chances to win big.

The Advanced Analyzer is such a great tool - I don't know how I found stuff without it. (Well, I usually lost money before it)

thats the chunk of software you get when you invest over 100k right?

seems like another game where its hard to get in, but once your there you can make out alright

Visit Ameritrade.com -- the Analyzer is free for the first 30 days. Then after, if you don't meet balance requirements, its only $19.95/mo.

I make it a point not to go into the candy shop unless i'm actualy able to buy the products..

thanks for all the info, i'm sure at some point (aside from the actual stock picks themselfs) this will all be very useful. :mrgreen:

4.  I really cant stand Howard Stern, and I have NO IDEA who the other XM "Personalities" are.  Do they webcast for a preview?

H.S. is going to be on Sirius. :finga: Buy all the XM stock you want.

-James Miller

So do you guys invest in stocks as a second income type of thing? It seems most of you have ALOT of money in stocks.....over $75,000??

What type of profits are you guys seeing....say, per month? How much start-up money does one need to make a few grand a month in stocks? Obviously these questions don't have a "set" answer as there are many variables. But how about some ball-park figures if possible. Thanks.

What the hell happened to KOSP this morning. Down 2.33 1/2 hour after opening?

Day before earnings ... could be fear. I bought more.

I certainly hope that the market doesn't knows anything that I don't. I'm in deep $140K+

In the age we live in, Stop Loss Orders are a MUST across the board, on EVERY investment you own...

Its too easy for a major terrorist attack to happen, while youre away from a TV/Computer and for the market to drop 500+ points before the trade brakes kick in...

I was thinking that too about "buy on rumor, sell on news" however if you look at the Bio-Tech sector in the last month, its been very strong. Whenever a BIOTECH reports earnings that exceed expectations, they've been gapping up adding 10%. If this gaps up 10%, thats 7 bucks.

I bought another 1,000 shares today when it dropped to 70.65 -- at this moment it retraced backed to 72.75 -- great bounce but there is 4 more trading hours left. If it closes strong, I think tomorrow will be strong. If it closes weak, then it could be a long day.

I guess tomorrow is the day I find out if everyone is gonna HATE me or LOVE me. At least you all will know if you should take stock advice from me ... ;)

Well KOSP earnings came out and it was good. However, the stock hasn't really done anything this morning except a strong open which traced back to prior levels.

So I guess I'm right on the good earnings part, but wrong on the stock price action.

I dumped the entire stake -- I made about $3K. Not the killing I'd hoped for.

Yeah, earnings were up but profit down. :( Should have sold on the after hours board at 75.5. I'm still in though.

Yeah.... A bit of a bloodletting today.... Oil pushing 62 (which is cool for me... I bought a ton of Valero, Haliburton and Schlumberger yesterday...)

Plus, weve had a good run here... hitting that 10700 resistance level... and profit taking.... Let the maret take a breath and BUY THE DIPS!!!!

:mrgreen:

Glad I stayed in. I had the stop-loss order in place and was waiting for the official 11am conf call to make any move. Worked out good so far since there have been 2 updated reports.

I'm going to hold and see where it closes today and make a call tomorrow. Probably take 1/2 my position.

My reference to "fcuk!!" was that I sold way to early - I didn't let the news circualate. The thing is up 3+ pts currently -- just pissed away $7K -- I should have slept in!!!

I hope you guys fared better and didn't run for the exits as quick as I did.

Dude- that does suck... Sounds like my PVX fiasco a few months ago...