Stock Picks - Post Your Stock Picks

phxdiablo

No way to tell... There will be some damage... But it will be a while until we know the extent... the rigs are accesable by helicopter now, but who would fly on them? The folks who work those rigs LIVED in New Orleans and the rest of the coastal areas... The loop may be in tact, but what would it matter??? Trucks cant get to it... and the refineries are flooded....

I think it will be a while before we know the extent of the damage...

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im thinking of taking advantage of the insurance companies' stocks to drop dramatically then get it n hold for a while till they rise after everything is over

im thinking of taking advantage of the insurance companies' stocks to drop dramatically then get it n hold for a while till they rise after everything is over

The markets don't work like that -- they don't follow logic and the minute you think it does, it will eat you up.

Logic says the markets will be down due to the effects of the Hurricane.

Logic says the markets will be down due to the increased burden on the Federal government w/respect to disaster aid.

Logic says the markets will be down due to higher oil prices and damaged supply chains.

Logic says the markets will be down due to high dollar amounts in insurance claims.

Logic says the markets will be down due to a work stoppage in the South.

All this "logic" points to a down market.

Who wants to join me in speculating that the market heads into a bull phase for the next 3 months? The markets love to defy logic.

~ MJ

haha- i'll join you. Im still trying to figure all this out, and learning how true that is. Sometime last year, (maybe 2 years id have to look it up- it was one of my first purchases) I bought some nissan shares- their sales are up and a new factory is opening... stock hasnt moved at all, its actually down a little.

Sorry Phx... I cant speculate on bullishness heading into September & October... Once we get through Septemeber 11, Triple witching and the first few weeks of October, Im right there with you... Ill be broadly buying mid to late october...

My prediction:

Real slugishness the next week or so, with terrorism fear causing a shallow pullback in the market right before the 11th (which happens on a Sunday this year). With the oil situation, this would be a great opportunity for AQ to go after other refineries, supplies to hurt us.

Maybe a slight recovery after 911... But nothing to make money on... Then sometime in early to mid october, CAPITULATION. 150-300 point drop in one day... ILL BE PLACING ORDERS IN THE LAST HOUR OF TRADING THAT DAY!

Obviously, the reports are coming in from the rigs... And it isnt good...

Edit- I have sold half of my "Hurricane picks" to cash in on the profits...

Obviously, the reports are coming in from the rigs... And it isnt good...

Edit-  I have sold half of my "Hurricane picks" to cash in on the profits...

probably a good idea...wish I had the means to have jumped in on some of this stuff. I'm always looking for good picks but buy. I was telling a buddy to buy in on sirius when it was below $2 back in the day...he bought almost 2k shares and I just gritted my teeth as I wished I had taken my own advice.

RD does NOV fix refineries? Similiar to HAL? I'm waiting for a pullback to buy but the thing isn't pulln back.

I THINK the way it works is: HAL is the labor... NOV is the Parts...

http://www.natoil.com/

http://www.halliburton.com/

Last I heard at least 8 rigs were adrift in the gulf...

I bought 1000 shares of NOV monday AM at 59.3

Closed at 64.21 today.

I bought 2000 shares of HAL Monday AM at 57.7

Closed today at 62

:D/

HMMM... I think Ill make a donation to the disastor releif...

I THINK the way it works is:  HAL is the labor... NOV is the Parts...  

http://www.natoil.com/

http://www.halliburton.com/

Last I heard at least 8 rigs were adrift in the gulf...

I bought 1000 shares of NOV monday AM at 59.3

Closed at 64.21 today.

I bought 2000 shares of HAL Monday AM at 57.7

Closed today at  62

:D/

HMMM... I think Ill make a donation to the disastor releif...

nice...lets see how tomorrow does.

So far so good... Nov and hal both up another dollar.

Thanks guys... You bought my shares... Im out!

It was always a quick trade for me... I saw the pullback and dumped my remaining shares...

You guys planning on staying in for a while? Theres still a lot of money to be made there...

Hey maybe I bought your shares?! My sell orders don't have much room -- if the trend reverses, I'm out quick. I'm already up on it so my orders are in at the prices I bought at.

What's next?

Hot sectors are OIL and BIOTECH and CONSTRUCTION.

I bought KAMNA several days ago and thats doing well.

Volaro Oil (refiner) has absolutely EXPLODED!!!! Up something like 20 points since mondy... Sorry I missed that...

DNA for Biotech... Id like to see a pullback on it...

Construction... I want to see 2 things...

1. IS THIS ENOUGH to get Greenspan to cut it the fcuk out already?

2. Will they rebuild, how and WHO?

Construction... I want to see 2 things...  

1.  IS THIS ENOUGH to get Greenspan to cut it the fcuk out already?

2.  Will they rebuild, how and WHO?

good questions...anyone with the answers I'll paypal you a quarter for them!

Wow... What a week....

Who would have thought the market would have closed UP over last week???

Oil is back where it started...

Sentiment is, that this will neutralize the Feds position on interest rates... (God I hope so!)

Just the same, I see a broad based sell off starting next week and continuing at least through the end of September...

anyone heard of pacific ethanol? (PEIX) My dad was talking about them cause they just set up a plant and talks like its going to be a big deal...reading about the industry I dunno, I guess I see more potential elsewhere, anyone know much about this?

Just the same, I see a broad based sell off starting next week and continuing at least through the end of September...

I'm actually speculating the reverse. All logic points to down market -- when the majority is bearish, it usually means a bullish sign.

I think after 3 days of disaster cleanup and improving conditions down in New Orleans will but people in a buying mood, not to mention post labor day weekend marks the day all those professional traders return from the Jersey Shore.

I bought a lot of stocks on Friday with this in mind. If I'm wrong (which happens a lot) I'm out $1,000's.

Of course, the above statement is utilizing "logic" so I guess I'm not practicing what I'm preaching. I guess thats why the market is so "fun".