Stock Picks - Post Your Stock Picks

phxdiablo

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in cash at the moment. Made a few bucks off ADM but not the big jump I hoped for after their Iraqi grain deal. Mostly due to Katrina. Bought at 22, sold at 24.

Looking for the next pick...

Looks like Phx called this one right...

Ahh yes, it was indeed a profitable day!!!! All that buying on Friday paid off as I thought it would.

:partyman: congrats man... Im looking forward to 6pm eastern so I can update my mutual funds... (and to think... If I didnt have to pay penalties on them, I would have sold them already...)

I stuck with hal and did well too, raised my sell price on it today. You guys think NOV is going to come back up again. I heard some of the refieneries will be back on line by the end of the week.

Anything else on the horizon? Keep your eye on NVDA (Nevidia). I was in on it at 21 ro 22 a share and sold out a couple weeks ago, I was holding it for a while, did real well. Projection are $40 per share. its around 30 now.

Volaro Oil (refiner) has absolutely EXPLODED!!!!  Up something like 20 points since mondy... Sorry I missed that...  

do you watch mad money? my co-worker was telling me cramer has been plugging this for the last couple months and then it did that. he just sold his hal shares and now is considering volaro but we cant tell if its just way too late...sorry I missed that too, guess I should watch more mad money.

Keep your eye on NVDA (Nevidia). I was in on it at 21 ro 22 a share and sold out a couple weeks ago, I was holding it for a while, did real well. Projection are $40 per share. its around 30 now.

NVDA scares me, as do most of the chip manufacturing companies. They seem to go up and down like a rollercoaster, and it can be nerve racking - But profitable if you're tracking it and buy at the right time.

I'm not a 'pump and dump' kind of guy. I go into things for the long haul, and accept my returns over time (i.e. Not a hard-core day trader). I have had really good results from BRLI (a customer of ours) and XMSR. Both have made their slow trend up over the past year and a half, with good returns.

Here's my PORTFOLIO and its activity: (Minus CEF's)

(I've been holding all for less than 45 days)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MNKD - Up 21%

CMCO - Up 18.5%

PVX - Up 8%

AEIS - Up 7.2%

CPST - Up 6%

HAL - Up 3%

LDSH - Up 2%

LIFC - Up 2%

KAMNA - Up 1%

NOV - Stopped out (Loss < 1.5%)

RCCC - Stopped out (Loss < 1.5%)

HW - Stopped out (Loss < 1.5%)

NTES - Stopped out (Loss < 2.5%)

HW still looks good - wish I had a deeper stop.

NOV looks overbought - glad I stopped out.

HAL is approaching overbought - got a stop in at 1.5% gain. Can't lose on it.

MNKD a sleeper - trending up on improving volume - sign of institutional buying - wish I bought more. Heavy insider buying as well.

CMCO - does this thing ever go down?

CPST - My penny stock

AEIS - Once a high flying stock, shows steady improving conditions.

LIFC - A long term hold, have a deep stop as I expect this one to move up 50% over the next year.

Last november i purchased some apple stock. My thinking was that the ipod was going to be one of the largest christmas gifts. :mrgreen: After febuary i thought about trading it, but thought that they may release a version of the ipod that was also a phone. http://www.apple.com/itunes/mobile/

now i may hold it a little longer... :mrgreen:

I wouldn't touch either of them. Bad chart and poor earnings growth. IBD gives both of them a "E" rating which is basically a failing grade. Of course thats not to say they can go up -- however I look at it from RISK vs REWARD. There is far less riskier and greater rewards elsewhere.

Today I opened short positions on IVGR, QQQQ, and ALTR. Also took some profits off my current positions as the DJIA and Nasdaq approaches upper resistance. If the Q's break 40.25, the market could continue north.

So what's going to happen tomorrow with Goggle? The secondary offering will be available tomorrow. Stock is down $4.25 today as expected.

Buy now or will it drop more tomorrow?

fcuk it! Jumped in at $307.5 Even if it does drop a bit tomorrow I believe it will not be down for long.

Edit: Ugh! I may be in for a loooooong day tomorrow.

I wouldn't touch GOOGLE ... my GF bought some and I told her she was nuts.

I'm making $$ on shorts as the market continues down. My portfolio is now 50% short / 50% long. Once the market sells off, Ill move back into longs.

Im not shorting the market... but Im WAY heavy in cash....

It could go either way from here. As gas prices rose during Summer, a lot of amateur retail investor money got taken out and put to the sidelines (not you E, but you're a good example of the mindset. Cashed out, bored, looking for any sign to get back in heavy).

The doom and gloom media fed this mindset, Overhyped liberal-motivated Katrina body counts fed it, gas prices fed it, etc, and now oil/gas price relief is actually in sight. Once that hits the masses, and oil blows through $60, they'll hop right aboard the Q4 Xmas Holiday Bull train, as they always do.

The S&P500 is approaching a hughly watched technical mark as well, even by the old warhorses who don't subscribe to tea-leaf reading: 1250. If it surpasses that...it's off to the races.

It could go either way from here. As gas prices rose during Summer, a lot of amateur retail investor money got taken out and put to the sidelines (not you E, but you're a good example of the mindset. Cashed out, bored, looking for any sign to get back in heavy).

The doom and gloom media fed this mindset, Overhyped liberal-motivated Katrina body counts fed it, gas prices fed it, etc, and now oil/gas price relief is actually in sight. Once that hits the masses, and oil blows through $60, they'll hop right aboard the Q4 Xmas Holiday Bull train, as they always do.

The S&P500 is approaching a hughly watched technical mark as well, even by the old warhorses who don't subscribe to tea-leaf reading: 1250. If it surpasses that...it's off to the races.

Youre 100% correct... And thats why Im watching from the cheap seats right now... Whether the herd is RIGHT or not is really irrelevent... I don't want to get run over by them while they run around like Chicken Little with his head chopped off... And dragging the market around with them...

"NEVER underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."

I told you the sky was falling :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is jitters from Tropical Storm Rita (sounds like my 9th grade Geometry teacher). I dont think it will amount to much... too far south to dick with the rigs...

Not me, I'm making $$. Its a great thing when the markets are down 110 pts and you see your portfolio value UP, instead of DOWN.

I anticipated the decline (check my post 10 days ago) as the market was extended so I shorted a few stocks, the broad market and then subsequently reduced most of my long positions. I'm mostly short right now.

I expect it to continue till tomorrows FOMC. After the FOMC, Ill reavaluate.

Let's begin the FOMC move speculation.

Mako votes: No rate increase, contrary to every piece I've seen written on it by the media covering the issue.