G Wagon Impressions?

sprite

You can get the G63's ECU modified and you'll have 650-700 hp and more than 700 torque.

Any issues with these tunes? Would hate to void warranty due to a tune and then blow the engine up.

Lol I've driven older military G Wagons [with underpowered diesel engines] quite a bit in the military when doing my mandatory service 14 years ago. I've also driven my friends G550. They drive nothing alike.

This car would be used to haul stuff, grocery store and driving to my beach house [4-5 hour drive]. I know the G wagon has the aerodynamics of a brick, but I think it will do just fine at 90-100mph which is my normal cruising speed on US highways.

I'm still not any closer to deciding between the track hawk and a G63 though, but at least I ruled out the G65.

Your heart seems to want to rationalize the G.

I say just get that unless you can drive both and decide in that manner.

Any issues with these tunes? Would hate to void warranty due to a tune and then blow the engine up.

On my SL65 & SL600 both of my MBZ mechanics said the engines are built to take much more than stock, so the ECU upgrade puts it right where it should be. I suspect it is the same with the V8. I drive the piss out of mine with RENNtech ECU with no issues & passes CA smog too. He said reliability only goes down somewhat when you start going for 1,000+ HP, such as Brabus boring out the cylinders & such.

My Renntech Tune caused the G to go into Limp mode one time. I sold the car since however the dealer did flag my car. If there were issues I am not sure how the dealer would have handled it.

Does anyone know the ride difference between a MBZ G63 and Porsche Cayenne Turbo or Turbo S? Which one handles better?

Given the CTTs different suspension settings and the G has just 1 (pickup truck Bronco setting) I would say the CTT rides much better.

Does anyone know the ride difference between a MBZ G63 and Porsche Cayenne Turbo or Turbo S? Which one handles better?

The Porsches handle as you'd expect Porsches to handle. The G63 handles like a bank vault. It is not a performance vehicle.

I would tell you that a Gwag is a horrible car to cruise at 90mph in and is not meant for road trips. Perhaps the worse modern auto I have ever driven for those 2 tasks.

If you are wanting to spend G Wagen $ then I would spend it on a Cayenne TT or Cayenne GTS personally. However I can understand you wanting to check the G Wagen itch off your list. Or even a Range Rover for that matter if you want larger.

The G is an icon and you have to ok with its quirks, it has many. The flaws in vehicles is what I like. If you want the best ride then go with a G550. If you want power then a G63. I have a G500 2 door convertible and the top vibrates at speed, its noises but I love it. I drive in town with the top down all the time. Drive one for a day and see if you like it!

I love the look of the g's. it only took one drive up the street 15 minutes in kmr's g63 to realize they don't do anything great but look good. The ride and aero of the car leave plenty to be desired. Nothing like the feeling of blasting off like a rocket and feeling the aero of the car want to lift the front in the air. If you want impractical looks of an SUV. Go H1. Hah

I love the look of the g's. it only took one drive up the street 15 minutes in kmr's g63 to realize they don't do anything great but look good. The ride and aero of the car leave plenty to be desired. Nothing like the feeling of blasting off like a rocket and feeling the aero of the car want to lift the front in the air. If you want impractical looks of an SUV. Go H1. Hah

Well it does done one thing really well compared to 90% of SUVs -- go offroad.

But yeah, strip some of the luxury out and the looks and you have a discontinued Land Rover Defender with a bigger engine.

Well it does done one thing really well compared to 90% of SUVs -- go offroad.

The one thing that 99.9993% of them never do.

I'm surprised someone at MB didn't decide years ago to strip out the complete 4x4 system and offer it in a 2wd. Most buyers wouldn't give two shits and it would probably drop 400lbs off the thing.

The one thing that 99.9993% of them never do.

I'm surprised someone at MB didn't decide years ago to strip out the complete 4x4 system and offer it in a 2wd. Most buyers wouldn't give two shits and it would probably drop 400lbs off the thing.

True.

But can't we say the same thing about Range Rover owners too?

Supposedly those things are pretty decent off road.