McGregor vs. Mayweather

Kisco

Well you have a guy that has never lost a boxing match and is famous for avoiding getting hit.

And then you have a guy who is doing his first boxing match and not famous for his boxing technique.

I would bet on mayweather.

I wasn't forced to bet but I bet hypothetically on Mayweather :icon_mrgreen:

I've never watched either of them before but I was cringing at McGregor's technique, it was just awkward, on the other hand Mayweather boxed like a seasoned pro, not that entertaining but the aim of the game is to win and win he did.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't forced to bet but I bet hypothetically on Mayweather :icon_mrgreen:

I've never watched either of them before but I was cringing at McGregor's technique, it was just awkward, on the other hand Mayweather boxed like a seasoned pro, not that entertaining but the aim of the game is to win and win he did.

Dude that wasn't entertaining?!

Dude that wasn't entertaining?!

Have you seen Tyson in his prime? This was ok if you like ballet :icon_mrgreen:

McGregor's stance reminded me of a boxing kangaroo, I was thinking, is this guy serious, has he seen boxing before? his guard was so low I thought Floyd would rip his head off but it didn't happen, he chose to play a strategic game rather than beat him down and as a result other than rounds 9 and 10 everything else was pretty average.

Not an expert I am only commenting on how I felt watching the fight.

The entertainment was provided by few Americans which were at the table next to ours, they were jumping up and down waving flags and when Mayweather won one of them actually jumped out on the street through a large sliding window behind me screaming and carrying on in the middle of the road :lol2:

McGregor's stance reminded me of a boxing kangaroo, I was thinking, is this guy serious, has he seen boxing before? his guard was so low I thought Floyd would rip his head off but it didn't happen, he chose to play a strategic game rather than beat him down and as a result other than rounds 9 and 10 everything else was pretty average.

The entertainment was provided by few Americans which were at the table next to ours, they were jumping up and down waving flags and when Mayweather won one of them actually jumped out on the street through a large sliding window behind me screaming and carrying on in the middle of the road :lol2:

LOL at that Kangaroo concept.......you're right, he did look like one up there!!

With regards to the entertainment value, compared to most of Mayweather's fights this was entertaining:

First fight stoppage (outside of the Ortiz debacle) in nearly ten years.

First real Mayweather offensive in a long time too. There were a few aggressive shots in the mid rounds we normally don't see him deliver.

An opponent who was a big underdog but had no issues taking risks - his ego was such that he didn't mind a KO whereas real pros facing Mayweather haven't. From Mosley to Pacquaio, they didn't take the risks when the fight was out of reach on the scorecard, nor did Maidana who probably gave Floyd the most trouble his entire pro career (for the first 4 or 5 rounds).

Tons of boring decisions. If McGregor salvaged to the finish line with those last 3 rounds resembling the first 7 with Mayweather winning on decision, it would have been the worst fight ever.

McGregor being surprisingly competitive on top of all this trash talk made this an enjoyable event I thought.

The official scorecard I thought was too heavily biased for Floyd -- a lot closer IMHO.

LOL at that Kangaroo concept.......you're right, he did look like one up there!!

This was also coming to my mind and I could not stop laughing LOL

conley_mike_22.jpg

I heard this morning that Floyd showed up with seven figures to bet on himself right before the fight to win in less than 9.5 rounds but they wouldn't let him. Fighters can only bet on themselves to win outright. He would have won that too.

I heard this morning that Floyd showed up with seven figures to bet on himself right before the fight to win in less than 9.5 rounds but they wouldn't let him. Fighters can only bet on themselves to win outright. He would have won that too.

I love seeing a dude live up to his name.

McGregor's stance reminded me of a boxing kangaroo, I was thinking, is this guy serious, has he seen boxing before? his guard was so low I thought Floyd would rip his head off but it didn't happen, He chose to play a strategic game rather than beat him down and as a result other than rounds 9 and 10 everything else was pretty average.

Floyd could probably have beat McGregor into a coma but was afraid people would freak if the fight was to short......gotta give'em their $100 worth!!!!

BTW.......didn't see the fight, so what were the first three rounds like?????.........curious as I thought that is where McGregor stood the best chance of winning.

Floyd could probably have beat McGregor into a coma but was afraid people would freak if the fight was to short......gotta give'em their $100 worth!!!!

BTW.......didn't see the fight, so what were the first three rounds like?????.........curious as I thought that is where McGregor stood the best chance of winning.

Pretty good fight.....you'd think. But after some thought and really breaking it down, it seems to me like Conor just got played. First half of the fight Mayweather had many thinking why he's even in the ring after a 2-year layoff, only to later see that it was his strategy all along and put the smack down onConor when tired himself out.

Good entertainment, decent fight, and good on Conor for stepping in with 'TBE'. I am sure he gained some fans after last night.

Now, the trilogy fight with Diaz!!

Was an awesome fight. Very impressed with Mayweather!

+1

it was awesome!! 10x more entertaining than the manny fight !! I love it. worth the money. I bet under 10 rounds and just won.

I was surprised by how little power Conner seemed to generate, vs his power in MMA bouts. I'm guessing/assuming it has to do with the differences in range and stance? He showed more power on the instinctual counter punches, but didn't seem to have much when purposefully punching. Pretty entertaining and hats off t both guys for having the stones to do what hey did. People have always given Floyd crap for the money persona, but he's one of the best boxers ever. Not always entertaining, the best at what he does...

I'm guessing that this exercise will give Conor the skills to be absolutely deadly in the octagon. He appeared to do really well against a slightly older TBE, although some of the slo mo REALLY looked like Floyd was staring at wide open head shots and held back. I agree with the above he held back to tire Conor but also to make sure he gave us our money's worth.

Mcgregor owned the first three and maybe the fourth round. In the third mayweather was visibly hurt and afraid of mcgregors left. Not sure how he managed to take those shots as well as he did. Mayweather managed to generate his first offense in the fourth which for a minute made it seem like it was his round. But then there was a minute thirty still left and mcgregor was back on the offense for all of it. At best for mayweather that round was a draw.

Mcgregor started getting visibly gased in the fifth. His face was turning red and initially I thought it was from the few strikes mayweather landed in the fourth. Now I think it was just from exhaustion.

6 and 7 were all mayweather. But I had mcgregor winning the 8th again. So going into the 9th I had mcgregor ahead. But he was gassed. Couldn't lift his fcuking arms. Mayweather won the 9th. And I had it completely tied going into the 10th. Not sure if it should have been stopped when it was. He couldn't really defend himself. But. He didn't really take any brutal shots either. Mayweather didn't have a tom of power.

There was all that talk about mcgregor sparring for 14 rounds with two different partners. Now I'm wondering if he overstrained and left it in the gym? Or if it was bs? also there was the big news that they lightened the gloves at the last minute. That was HUGE because clearly mcgregor couldn't have gone as long as he did with his arms out style if he was carrying around 4 extra ounces. Shit would have been done by the 7th.

Just didn't have the lungs to go 12.

I scored it about the same Roman... Two judges gave Conor the first, and the rest to Floyd. How fcuking ridiculous is that? He landed NINE punches in the first three rounds.

Capture.0.png

I had MCG winning the first 3 rounds and the next 2 very close(coin flip rounds).

Floyd looked slower than usual(age), a bit confused. covering up and turning his back to MCG-I never seen Floyd do that ever. He did repeatedly this fight, not a good thing.

then came the 6th round, FM seemed to wake up, he had to get out of the gate at some point, the 6th is a late round to get off in but he did.

To my surprise in the 7th round MCG looked a bit tired, in the 8th I could see he was finished.

Was a good fight, suprised he knocked him out, MCG really ran out of gas and FM seemed to exploit that perfectly, which is true to his ENTIRE career-he has NEVER MADE A MISTAKE IN THE RING.

It was a win for contact sport in general, Had FM lost MMA would have really dominated(not that they dont already) but now it can still be said a boxer has a chance over a MMA fighter and hopefully that leads to more fights like this where the MMA guys cross over into boxing. Boxing needed FM to win!

was fun to watch

edit: If they were the same age would have been a much shorter fight, FM's age did show up a little.

2nd edit: FWIW im good friends with the first judge Dave Moretti(even tho i cant spell his name, i've known him 20 years) Robert Byrd did a good job as 3rd man in the ring.

I scored it about the same Roman... Two judges gave Conor the first, and the rest to Floyd. How fcuking ridiculous is that? He landed NINE punches in the first three rounds.

What the fcuk?!?!?!? How in the hell did they say mayweather won 2 & 3? He got points for not shitting his pants? He didn't throw a fcuking punch?!?!

Exactly, all of us that watched had McGregor winning first three rounds. But TWO judges scored only 1 round for McGregor and ALL the rest to Mayweather. Boxing is so fcuking stupid for so many reasons, I've said it before, if you're going to box or figure skate, be prepared for bullshit decisions and politics and outright scam. The two most corrupt sports out there, simply because it almost entirely lies in the judges hands.

We knew McGregor would gas, both times he was taken deep by Diaz his mouth was hanging open by round 3. Mayweather knew exactly what he was doing the whole time, he's not going to take a fight he's going to lose, no way at this stage in his career. Sure anything can happen but he minimized the downside by taking a hard uppercut then coasting to let Conor gas.

Fun event nonetheless, good distraction from all the other nonsense going on today. Just over four years ago McGregor was a plumber living in his car. What an amazing story for that kid, fighting PPV in front of hundreds of millions. If I were interviewing him after the fight, I wouldn't have even asked him about Mayweather. I would have asked him what's the best way to snake a plugged pipe.

I would have asked him what's the best way to snake a plugged pipe.

Usually a good bottle of wine does the trick unless she's younger, then a couple of shots and you're good to go.

We knew McGregor would gas, both times he was taken deep by Diaz his mouth was hanging open by round 3. Mayweather knew exactly what he was doing the whole time, he's not going to take a fight he's going to lose, no way at this stage in his career. Sure anything can happen but he minimized the downside by taking a hard uppercut then coasting to let Conor gas.

100%. All that talk about him being just 29 had me laughing out loud. Floyd's conditioning is legendary.

It was a clinic from start to finish. Let Mcgregor come on strong, weather the storm, and then press him (like Diaz) and break him down.

Mcgregor is a hell of an entertainer to do what he did. I don't think we will see this again in our lifetimes - two champions at the top of their respective sports putting it on the line.

I don't think we will see this again in our lifetimes - two champions at the top of their respective sports putting it on the line.

I see your point. But to be fair this is exactly what MMA and especially the UFC is.

Boxing champs, jiu jitsu champs, kickboxing champs, wrestling champs, judo champs, karate champs and much more fighting with very limited rules.