Strange egear issues shifting

ComputerXpress

Have a question. I picked up my car, runs fantastic, sounds great, shifts smooth as a babies butt and then this happens.

I run into a problem after my 200 mile trek home. I made a stop on the way and as I was pulling into my moms driveway, the car went into N. I tried to shift into R to no avail. Turned the car off, on, still no R or 1. You can hear the actuator doing something.

So, then I turn it off, then back on, however, this time I do not crank it. I just leave the key on. Try to shift, goes into every gear like clockwork, including reverse. Very snappy indeed.

Then I crank the car, goes into reverse and goes into 1. I go for a short ride come back let the car rest for awhile. I then try to leave and once again, will not go into R, goes into 1 and all other gears fine.

I drive it home which was about another 40 miles and I'm at a stop light in 1 and it automatically shifts to N by itself. I can't get into 1. Turn car off then on and goes into 1. Drive home. Can't get into R etc etc.

What could cause this? Car has had the trans rebuilt, new clutch and every part around it, new egear pump, accumulator and on and on.

Car runs like a bat out of hell if I can get it into gear. Any suggestions?

Have a question. I picked up my car, runs fantastic, sounds great, shifts smooth as a babies butt and then this happens.

I run into a problem after my 200 mile trek home. I made a stop on the way and as I was pulling into my moms driveway, the car went into N. I tried to shift into R to no avail. Turned the car off, on, still no R or 1. You can hear the actuator doing something.

So, then I turn it off, then back on, however, this time I do not crank it. I just leave the key on. Try to shift, goes into every gear like clockwork, including reverse. Very snappy indeed.

Then I crank the car, goes into reverse and goes into 1. I go for a short ride come back let the car rest for awhile. I then try to leave and once again, will not go into R, goes into 1 and all other gears fine.

I drive it home which was about another 40 miles and I'm at a stop light in 1 and it automatically shifts to N by itself. I can't get into 1. Turn car off then on and goes into 1. Drive home. Can't get into R etc etc.

What could cause this? Car has had the trans rebuilt, new clutch and every part around it, new egear pump, accumulator and on and on.

Car runs like a bat out of hell if I can get it into gear. Any suggestions?

Also, we literally just rebuilt the entire transmission as well as egear new pump new accumulator 28k worth of work.

Take it right back where it all got rebuilt. Virtually impossible to troubleshoot with the info given. I know there is a learning mode that it can

be put in. Techs can do it for sure.Was yours ever done? Disconnect the power to the battery for a few minutes. Reconnect and drive it for 10 minutes or so.

It may fix itself.

The linkage from the egear actuator and the trans could have a slight bind. Lambo has a tool that bolts to the transmission and aligns the egear actuator. Did you have a Lambo dealer do the trans work? If not there are many things that are very finicky and need the right jigs/tools to assemble. Could also be they bumped the selespeed sensor putting the gearbox back in

Ok, spoke with Marc at Lambo Dallas. We went through some troubleshooting. The car engages all of the gears perfectly with the ignition switch on. It is only when it is running that it sometimes has an issue going into R or 1. We put the car into R and got out to see if the car would move if we pushed on it. It does indeed engage into gear and only moves in N

We're thinking an electrical fail safe somewhere? Any thoughts ??

086927321A

SENSOR ASSEMBLY E-GEAR SENSOR

That was replaced. We replaced egear sensor, clutch sensor, egear actuator, accumulator, F1 pump, clutch PIS, clutch, TO bearing, rebuilt transmission at Lambo Dallas and on and on.

They are thinking maybe the brake switch is going bad. Small plunger apparatus.

Apparently this will keep the car from going into gear.

Car shifts fine when not running. Only when running have an issue getting into R and going into 1

Works most of the time.

Let car cool down then works fine for a bit. At least one time so far.

That was replaced. We replaced egear sensor, clutch sensor, egear actuator, accumulator, F1 pump, clutch PIS, clutch, TO bearing, rebuilt transmission at Lambo Dallas and on and on.

They are thinking maybe the brake switch is going bad. Small plunger apparatus.

Apparently this will keep the car from going into gear.

Car shifts fine when not running. Only when running have an issue getting into R and going into 1

Works most of the time.

Let car cool down then works fine for a bit. At least one time so far.

Since it's basically a robot operating a manual transmission, it could be the something with the clutch not releasing properly. Your symptoms are the same as a manual car that has the clutch not releasing, as you can only put a manual into gear with the engine off if the clutch is not releasing.

But that's guessing. It just needs to be picked up and put on a Lambo computer to diagnose it. There's always a high probability that the engine will need to come out again since so many of the egear aspects require the removal of the lump to fix them.

Since it's basically a robot operating a manual transmission, it could be the something with the clutch not releasing properly. Your symptoms are the same as a manual car that has the clutch not releasing, as you can only put a manual into gear with the engine off if the clutch is not releasing.

But that's guessing. It just needs to be picked up and put on a Lambo computer to diagnose it. There's always a high probability that the engine will need to come out again since so many of the egear aspects require the removal of the lump to fix them.

We will see what happens this week. They are thinking it has something to do with the brake and possible bonnet. Here is a guy had similar problem

Lambo egear shift problem

Could be the brake sensor for sure. I know those position switches I mentioned can get hit when they are reinstalling the engine. Best bet is hook it up to the LDAS and read off the signals and hydraulic pressures. It could be something stupid simple like the door sensor etc.. since they wont take reverse if the door is open. Best get the computer on it and go through the gears... look at the readout

• 3 years later...

Any updated on this issue?

Did switching out the brake sensors rectify the problem?

I'm having a strange E-gear issue with my 2008 LP640 coupe as well. Gearbox runs fine when not switched on and runs through all the gears with ease. From what the dealer tells me, the gearbox changes gear fine when its cold but the gearbox light comes on when it gets warm and refuses to get into gear. Dealer said the Selespeed sensor is throwing cold and they'll have to take out the whole drivetrain to replace them. 

Did you have any fault codes on your's when you had the issue?

ComputerExpress is long gone. He bought a trashed e-gear Murci and dumped an insane amount of money into it (probably could have bought a SV in good condition with the money he spent on that car!), and I am not sure he ever got it running right before he dumped it.

10 hours ago, Stimpy said:

ComputerExpress is long gone. He bought a trashed e-gear Murci and dumped an insane amount of money into it (probably could have bought a SV in good condition with the money he spent on that car!), and I am not sure he ever got it running right before he dumped it.

thanks for the reply. I've actually had the car since new and its the first time I've encountered this problem with it. I'm just a bit reluctant to have the engine out for 2 egear sensor and want to see if anyone had any similar experience or if any one tried replacing these 2 sensors without removing the whole drive train.

5 hours ago, martinngan said:

thanks for the reply. I've actually had the car since new and its the first time I've encountered this problem with it. I'm just a bit reluctant to have the engine out for 2 egear sensor and want to see if anyone had any similar experience or if any one tried replacing these 2 sensors without removing the whole drive train.

The answer to your question is yes:

On 10/6/2020 at 7:53 PM, Stimpy said:

The answer to your question is yes:

lol thanks for link and this does not look like something I want to be done to my car. 

I'm gonna go with the engine out option and I'll be replacing the clutch and thrustbearing while I'm at it. Do you guys have any suggestion as to what else I should be aware of as in what to replace while the engine is out. This is the first time the car will have its engine out service. 12 years isn't too bad if you ask me. 

Rebuild or replace starter

Seals for trans and engine

Replace 2 bearings for rear drive shaft and 1 bearing for front driveshaft

Valve adjustment

All new coolant hoses and couplings

All vacuum hoses

Fuel filters 

New hoses for the charcoal canister