Anyone have contacts at any exotic restoration places?

Kerplop

If you are terrified about what's next, you are on the right track. It is part of the process and you will do great. Your work, work ethic, and skills will take you far. If you could find a way to be your own boss that would be the direction I would move. All the best to you.

Do you have any links to pictures of what you've done?

Of what, my car restoration stuff? Or the parts i've been designing?

If you are terrified about what's next, you are on the right track. It is part of the process and you will do great. Your work, work ethic, and skills will take you far. If you could find a way to be your own boss that would be the direction I would move. All the best to you.

It is terrifying to me. I realize at this point though that there isn't much I can lose. My lambo, all of my cars, my bike, they're all paid off. I own them. I owe on my house, that's easy to sell. Let's say I do go for it and I fail, where do I go? Surely back with a friend, or family, or something. But it doesn't spell the end and at least it means I'll have tried. So I guess I'm in a good position and the worst that could happen isn't the worst.

No balls......No Blue Chips!!

A valid point.

Restoration work etc.

53 pages or so in the oldschool lambo section. *edit reading this again, i come off a little short, to clarify not being short, and i realize not everyone has seen it, just linking since it shows the whole journey of the car so far.

http://www.lambopower.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=69289

Hits close to home.

I don't hate my job at all. Actually, I love my job. I love what I do. BUT- it will never get me to where I want to be. Like you= I know that this is not what I was meant to do in the grand scheme of things. I am not running for the door, but I am planting seeds.

Also just like you- I want to do something with Lamborghini. My own project has really given me a lot of confidence, but truthfully- I had plenty to begin with, considering what I took on. With that in mind, I would like to do exactly what was mentioned, reimagining Lamborghini. Taking a basket case car and making something of it= my way. I don't care what the purists say, it's a basket case to begin with.

With flood cars likely about to pop up everywhere and a constant source of damaged cars out there.. I'll be having fun for a long time.

That aside- I have also began sketching my own design. Seeing the inside of my 6.0 at the intimate level I have has made me very confident that I could design my own car. Manufacturing it- well, lets see how the design goes :-)

I wish you all of the luck in the world.

KB

I felt exactly like you year after year and then I made decision to pursue my dream in career, but I wanted to be my own boss too.

I am in a similar position as well...been making good money but working for people far less competent. Bumping along as the days and years tick by. So win or lose, I am making a change. I can't die with the regret of taking the easy way out in my career.

My biggest challenge is two small kiddos. It sounds like you don't have quite as many responsibilities so now is a great time. My preference would have been to do it sooner.

As someone else mentioned...if you are anxious/scared/terrified, you are probably on the right path. The bright shine brighter when the back is against the wall.

Also, at one time I tried to start an auto-related business. I am glad it didn't really take off because working on my own cars (or even doing anything related to cars) was the last thing I wanted to do at the end of the day. My personal thought is to always have a hobby of some sort that has little to do with your work...even if you are passionate about your work. The mind and body need a break. My profession is oil/gas software but cars and home improvement are two big hobbies.

Best of luck to us both!

I am in a similar position as well...been making good money but working for people far less competent. Bumping along as the days and years tick by. So win or lose, I am making a change. I can't die with the regret of taking the easy way out in my career.

My biggest challenge is two small kiddos. It sounds like you don't have quite as many responsibilities so now is a great time. My preference would have been to do it sooner.

As someone else mentioned...if you are anxious/scared/terrified, you are probably on the right path. The bright shine brighter when the back is against the wall.

Also, at one time I tried to start an auto-related business. I am glad it didn't really take off because working on my own cars (or even doing anything related to cars) was the last thing I wanted to do at the end of the day. My personal thought is to always have a hobby of some sort that has little to do with your work...even if you are passionate about your work. The mind and body need a break. My profession is oil/gas software but cars and home improvement are two big hobbies.

Best of luck to us both!

The terrified feeling I know mostly stems from my anxiety. I've battled clinical depression and anxiety for about a decade now. These days I'm able to do something about it and cope, but years ago I'd be recessing into a hole and completely close the world off to myself out of sheer fear.

At this point, I realize that the reason I am terrified is because I am afraid of failure, I'm afraid of losing things, I'm afraid that something bad may happen.

However, I also realize that I'm already in a position where I am unhappy, I am stale, I see nothing to improve here and there is nothing for me "further up the chain", I am at a ceiling, my head is hitting, and I have no room to move around.

Sounds like tonight I need to have a good glass of scotch, weigh my options, and start talking to people.

Sounds so similar.

As an only child of an upper middle-class family, I was raised with very little hardship or the taste of failure. My parents did everything they could to make my path to 'success' easy. I know they did this out of love but it did not give me some of the life experiences (good and bad) that would have made me better prepared to take on big challenges.

I also place too much value on material things. What if I had to sell my cars? What if I have to go into my savings? What if? What if!

Great things do not happen without risk of falling short. And falling short is only failure if you do not learn from the experience and grow.

I made my decision...but I'll have a glass of Scotch anyway!

Here was Walt Disney's philosophy to success: DREAM, BELIEVE, DARE, DO

You need to DREAM about what you want to become or where you want to be.

You need to honestly BELIEVE in yourself that you can make it happen.

There will be plenty of people standing in your way and DARING that you will fail miserably in your goal.

You need to finally proceed with your plan and just DO it.

One of my current clients is the craziest and most driven guy I have ever known. His name is Jim Liautaud. He owns a sandwich chain of restaurants named Jimmy Johns. He is the epitome of this philosophy and gets things done by not asking but doing. To this day he has absolutely no business plan and he has close to 3,000 restaurants.

I know you guys will do well because you are driven.

Do you have any side work going with what you want to do? Any customers of your own? If not I wouldn't quit and try to start up shop. I would build up a client base and see how it goes before you quit, but don't steal your bosses customers, only creates issues. See if there's an interest in it before you put all your eggs in one basket. Or like you were trying before get a job at a shop that already does it. You won't make all the money, but you also won't have all the headaches. Having employees sucks lol

Do you have any side work going with what you want to do? Any customers of your own? If not I wouldn't quit and try to start up shop. I would build up a client base and see how it goes before you quit, but don't steal your bosses customers, only creates issues. See if there's an interest in it before you put all your eggs in one basket. Or like you were trying before get a job at a shop that already does it. You won't make all the money, but you also won't have all the headaches. Having employees sucks lol

What I do for a living right now would not even have any even slight sharing of market, so no desire to steal customer as the IT world and the Lambo world aren't related. so that's not really a concern.

It is terrifying to me. I realize at this point though that there isn't much I can lose. My lambo, all of my cars, my bike, they're all paid off. I own them. I owe on my house, that's easy to sell. Let's say I do go for it and I fail, where do I go? Surely back with a friend, or family, or something. But it doesn't spell the end and at least it means I'll have tried. So I guess I'm in a good position and the worst that could happen isn't the worst.

Give yourself 12 months, put a contingency in place to see you through and go for it, DO NOT BE SCARED it will happen for you.

Come up with a plan and let us hear it, if you feel more comfortable keeping it private send it across via PMs to few people who could guide you.

You've got nothing to lose.

What I do for a living right now would not even have any even slight sharing of market, so no desire to steal customer as the IT world and the Lambo world aren't related. so that's not really a concern.

Not sure what you do exactly in the IT work, but you could look at remote contracts (freelancer.com etc) that allow you to maintain some cash flow from work you know while you build up a business. It definitely calms the stress if you know that you're not relying on the business keeping the roof over your head (although some people will always see this as a fallback so don't push as hard on the new business).

Also I'm jealous, one the skills you have, and that you're taking the plunge for passion not necessarily $$'s

I think you should be an apprentice before you open your own shop. There are many tricks to the trade and it wil take you many more years to accomplish what someone can teach u in a few short years.