Lamborghini ‘one-off’ supercar announcement imminent, showcasing new tech

sl55

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For the record 'egg carbon work is right up there with pagani and that is seeing them back to back.

Back to lambo though, we want this that and the other from them but their budget is minimal.

We all want a pint and they only have a shot glass.

These special runs allow quick and easy money to be pumped into the company allowing them to raise the game for the normal production lines.

Agreed. It is an effective way for Lamborghini to raise some quick cash. Given the constrain, they likely are doing their best with what they possibly could; which both a happy and sad thing.

K'egg's carbon work is on par with Pagani. I would even say K'eggis is superior in someways; just look at their CF wheels. Pagani has this huge weave pattern on their Huayra's body panels which I have not seen elsewhere before. Craftsmanship is close to perfection, the huge weave pattern is a love or hate thing. On the one hand, there seems to be nothing else like it; on the other hand, at some angle, it looks like big scars complete with staple marks.

At the 3 mill mark which seems to be where pagani,Koeniggsegg and Bugatti are, the Bug is a no brainer. It certainly is just as exclusive as the other 2 and there are zero concerns about dealer network, service, parts and most importantantly in my opinion, the engineering and development work on the Bug is in a league of it's own.

As far as Lambo is concerned and it's limited edition cars, the parent company has a lot to do with the why and but it isn't that fast or different, it cannot let a sub brand like Lambo be faster that it's main performance brand, which is the Bug.

Lamborghini one-offs are among the worst possible modern cars you could ever buy at those prices. They offer next to nothing.

Chiron, LF, 918, P1, Mercedes One, AM RB-001, and just about all the successors to these are far more deserving of the prices they command. This $2-3M one-off Aventador will probably be outclassed in every way by a 720S or Performante.

Well said, and agreed. In the $1M+ realm there are better (more unique, technologically advanced, powerful, etc...) cars out there and Lamborghini is lagging. Have said that, most of the Lambo 'special editions' are in the double digit numbers, whereas the others you mentioned are triple digit volumes. So, the manufacturer can invest more in up front development costs knowing it will be amortized over larger volumes. That and Lambo sold every single one (well almost, you never really see the supposed 20 Sesto's they made, or all the Veneno roadsters). So easy business case, relatively low cost re-design and find 2 - 40 individuals willing to pay up. Layer in Dieselgate and I don't see a unique car for some time (maybe the 918 replacement but that's it). Chiron will be as good as it gets (which is pretty damn good).

What worries me on both Koenigsegg and Pagani is what if CVK or HP had decided to call it a career (more likely from CVK since his cars are his "side businesses") or worse they are victims of some freak accident or disaster? Would these two boutique/atelier manufacturers seize to exist then? And if so there goes all of the customer support service. Better to side with a manufacturer who has a conglomerate as background support then.

At some point their legacy will out live them. Enzo, Ferry, Ferrucio are all no longer with us, but their legacy lives on. Both Koenigsegg (23) and Pagani (25) have been around for decades, so they are not as young as they seem, just the proliferation has been more recent. Give them both another decade and the legacy will be well established. Christian is fairly young and they both love cars and started in the business to follow their passion. Couple decades in I highly doubt they'll change it up given they are finally bearing the fruits of their labour.

Fair enough and agreed.

Interesting about Koenigsegg. To be fair, both Pagani and Koenigsegg had just set up agents here in the last 14months and neither had delivered any car yet. So customer feedback is minimal. But based on the data available (also from personal experience and from others), it's exactly the other way around. The local Pagani agent is simply horrible! The local Koenigsegg agent gets quite a few accolades so I guess it boils down to the dealership and/or the regional supporting team. As for resale value, these are more or less toys so great if one can recuperate or earn from one's costs but not an issue if one cannot.

What worries me on both Koenigsegg and Pagani is what if CVK or HP had decided to call it a career (more likely from CVK since his cars are his "side businesses") or worse they are victims of some freak accident or disaster? Would these two boutique/atelier manufacturers seize to exist then? And if so there goes all of the customer support service. Better to side with a manufacturer who has a conglomerate as background support then.

Simple.

Lamborghini buys Pagani and Koenigsegg via Volkswagen. :icon_mrgreen:

Sesto Elemento is considerd by Lamborghini as one of their one-offs specials. For the record Sesto isn't a re-skinned Gallardo/Murcielago or Aventador even though it shares some components with the Gallardo LP570 (both road and racecar).

The only downside is that it isn't road legal, but I have heard that very few certain dealers offer a road-legal conversion (note: none in the States.).

Then we had the Aventador J, which is pretty bespoke and epic.

I can get behind these as one-offs that are unique to themselves and bespoke. The rest though...

I hope the next one is more Asterion rather than Veneno or Centenario like.

The only one off I'd want is the Sesto because that's as close to one off as possible, also I love the formula they've applied but unfortunately as you said it isn't road legal.

I believe your comment hit the nail on the head. It falls into the "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" cliche. Lamborghini did proved exactly that and every car made was sold. It's corporate after all and within the mindset of the CEO's circle, 1 cent extra is still 1 cent too much regardless so why "waste" resources if the current formula is working. It's also market share and market viability as well. VAG knows that the chance of Lamborghini out selling Ferrari is zero. So why bother putting resources into Lambo; it will always be the underdog anyway. Porsche is way more viable than Lamborghini in both sales and profit margins and there has to be some kind of national pride of some sort from that brand. Bugatti is the crown jewel of both VAG and the entire automobile industry on the planet so they would utilize every resource to maintain that honour. Lamborghini, regrettably, is just a small atelier within the VAG empire. Yes, it has the potential to do a lot better and a lot more but corporate politics is alive and well.

Very true, if you want the ultimate is the Chiron no doubt about it.

I don't mind the 'one-off' cars, they are basically design exercises, street legal concept cars. If buyers are willing to pay for them, Lamborghini should keep producing them.

Speaking of one offs...do you guys think the Aventador replacement will get design cues from the Centenario?

LOL, there must be something you like about the Centenario? The rear? Lights? Bare carbon body? :icon_mrgreen:

The bare carbon but not mangled in that manner.

Speaking of one offs...do you guys think the Aventador replacement will get design cues from the Centenario?

IMO, very unlikely. The design concept of the C was based on an "open engine" design proposed by then design head Felippo Perini. He has "a passion on race cars from the bygone era". Those were his words when I met him at the C preview at Quail in 2015. Perini had moved on with Mitja Borkert now at the design helm. Borkert had already evolutionized Perini's design with the AV-S. It's time for him to come up with his own brand-new design. He may pay homage to the previous flagships styling with a few cues --- like the rear wheel-arch profile on the AV-S inspired by that on the Countach --- but he should come up with a fresh design to proof his competence. Of course, this all boils down to how much funding he will get from Audi/VAG.

The bare carbon but not mangled in that manner.

:crybaby2: :icon_mrgreen: It's not that bad...

That car definitely does not photograph well. Most modern cars do not with the exception of the AV-SV. But IRL, it actually isn't bad at all. It's just not following the current design language of the modern Lambos which has very sharp lines with well-defined geometric planes.

:crybaby2: :icon_mrgreen: It's not that bad...

That car definitely does not photograph well. Most modern cars do not with the exception of the AV-SV. But IRL, it actually isn't bad at all. It's just not following the current design language of the modern Lambos which has very sharp lines with well-defined geometric planes.

I was hoping to see one in Frankfurt, in photos it looks terrible, the roadster looks better.

IMO, very unlikely. The design concept of the C was based on an "open engine" design proposed by then design head Felippo Perini. He has "a passion on race cars from the bygone era". Those were his words when I met him at the C preview at Quail in 2015. Perini had moved on with Mitja Borkert now at the design helm. Borkert had already evolutionized Perini's design with the AV-S. It's time for him to come up with his own brand-new design. He may pay homage to the previous flagships styling with a few cues --- like the rear wheel-arch profile on the AV-S inspired by that on the Countach --- but he should come up with a fresh design to proof his competence. Of course, this all boils down to how much funding he will get from Audi/VAG.

Very interesting info, thanks for sharing. Did you go to Italy to preview the Centenario?

I personally like a lot the Veneno design and I don' think that the Lamborghini one off program is a bad thing, nor for the customers. An exclusive car is better than a production car: at every important car meeting there are several 1.5 M ThethetheFerrari, and you have to mind wich is your one, but you will be alone with a Veneno.

Exclusivity has a price, as Pagani knows very well.

ciao

I personally like a lot the Veneno design and I don' think that the Lamborghini one off program is a bad thing, nor for the customers. An exclusive car is better than a production car: at every important car meeting there are several 1.5 M ThethetheFerrari, and you have to mind wich is your one, but you will be alone with a Veneno.

Exclusivity has a price, as Pagani knows very well.

ciao

look who is here!! Long time my friend, how have you been?

Very interesting info, thanks for sharing. Did you go to Italy to preview the Centenario?

You are welcome.

No, the preview was at Quail/Monterrey, CA.

LOL, there must be something you like about the Centenario? The rear? Lights? Bare carbon body? :icon_mrgreen:

The fact that it is very limited so we do not see lots of them.

look who is here!! Long time my friend, how have you been?

Hi Fortis! I'm fine, thanks. I got married for the first time this year, at 55 years old! I got a cheap 1990 Maserati Spider this year too, that was added to my small Ferrari cars collection. I always complain about not having enough money to own an Aventador 50th in Giallo Maggio color, that in my opinion is the best looking car in the world today and that would be my first pick overall.

This said, I don't like the Centenario (in picture, as I never saw one in person) because it's a sort of mess design, but I do like very much the outrageous Veneno, that I saw in person from a very close distance

ciao

The Centenario is a legitimately ugly car, even in person. Both the S and SV look significantly better than it. It is meaningful only because of price and limited supply; made in similar quantities as the others for the same price, I'd go SV or properly optioned S every time. Centenario does not tickle the pleasure centers of my brain at all.