Huracan TT and SC vs 720s....

FikseSTS

Fully agreed. This obsession with straight line drag racing is very much a USA phenomenon. Yes, all petrol heads have always loved stats and acceleration is a major one; but looks, and sound are definitely more important to my purchasing choices than outright speed. And the main reason for that is, speed limits have not changed, and sometimes even decreased since they were introduced!! Total madness. Even in my little Caterham 4cylinder, i'd go to jail in 4th gear. I'd go to jail upshifting into 2nd gear while driving my MurciSV. Hence pure acceleration is not the main thing that pulls at my heart strings.

And oh yes.... anyone who has driven a Performante knows, that the noise of that stock exhaust is to die for.

Additionally, let me add that on normal windy country roads, it is the driver that makes by far the biggest difference to whether who can follow or drive faster than the group. Hence I buy on pure emotion.

On that note, emotion, can make you buy the much lesser car.... as I contemplate the awesomeness of the new Z R 1 ..... !!! 766hp, 969nm, manual gearbox, targa roof panels. WOW. I would not be surprised if they have beaten the Porsche 991 GT2RS lap record at the Nordschleife.

Also keep.in mind that the focus of some of these cars reflects the areas that they're driven in. Many parts of the US and Canada are devoid of any truly enjoyable, twisty driving roads. In these cases, I think it's only natural that cars focusing on straight line performance are developed.

Parker mentioned going back to VF to upgrade the kit to be more competitive with the 720s. Will be interesting to see what the come up with and if maintains, what appears to be, rock solid driveability.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt the HP claim on the TT car, but regardless you are correct about the tranny as you can see it lose ground on every shift. Kevin has stated here before that getting the clutch setup right is tricky even for a bolt-on (I don't think UR will do a bolt-on and leave the tranny stock like this tuner did), and that there are a lot of poorly shifting TT cars out there.

Why anyone would send there Huracan to anyone but UGR blows my mind. A UGR bolt on setup will hurt the 720s' feelings. And it's incredible that the 720s is doing damage to these poorly modded "Huracant's"

That is the race I want to see, did you get your Chiron?

it's already been done. chiron is king. This is a 2 minute video of various exotic cars doing roll races over 1/4 mile. aventador s, 918, tdf, 720, chiron.

Chiron easily walked 720s.

Chiroin related starts at around 1:48 of the vid.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=rb7WKDQb4mo

the fastest in order with multiple pulls was; chiron, 720s, 918, f12tdf, aventador s

Also keep.in mind that the focus of some of these cars reflects the areas that they're driven in. Many parts of the US and Canada are devoid of any truly enjoyable, twisty driving roads. In these cases, I think it's only natural that cars focusing on straight line performance are developed.

Parker mentioned going back to VF to upgrade the kit to be more competitive with the 720s. Will be interesting to see what the come up with and if maintains, what appears to be, rock solid driveability.

Having attended a few Lambo driving acadamy's and speaking with their Italian drivers, they ridicule straight line racing, says there's nothing challenging about it, that they prefer to race around turns, etc. Probably the same mindset at headquarters which is why they're keeping NA engines, not slapping turbo's on them.

exactly, it's a McLaren, not a Dodge Demon...

But who says the 720 can't also handle the corners in addition to straight line speed?

it's already been done. chiron is king. This is a 2 minute video of various exotic cars doing roll races over 1/4 mile. aventador s, 918, tdf, 720, chiron.

Chiron easily walked 720s.

Chiroin related starts at around 1:48 of the vid.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=rb7WKDQb4mo

the fastest in order with multiple pulls was; chiron, 720s, 918, f12tdf, aventador s

Thank you for the info, the link isn't working but I searched youtube and I think I've found the video you were trying to link, the Chiron is a beast :icon_thumleft:

on pump gas should be close, 800 whp.... stage 1 race gas should do it though.... so $60k to beat the 720s....

Why anyone would send there Huracan to anyone but UGR blows my mind. A UGR bolt on setup will hurt the 720s' feelings. And it's incredible that the 720s is doing damage to these poorly modded "Huracant's"

Thank you for the info, the link isn't working but I searched youtube and I think I've found the video you were trying to link, the Chiron is a beast :icon_thumleft:

I just made it public. don't think mine was posted anywhere else. there is one that is on the mclaren san francisco youtube channel but the chiron didn't have a clean run on that particular video.

But who says the 720 can't also handle the corners in addition to straight line speed?

It does handle corners you'd be nuts to think otherwise but slower accelerating cars perform equally or better on tracks so it is always about the sum of all things, straight line acceleration is the 720S's party trick.

I would LOVE to have access to the FikseSTS Highway, in that instance I would need a 720S :icon_super:

On a separate note, how about the P15 now that thing will be a monster! I can't wait to see it.

I just made it public. don't think mine was posted anywhere else. there is one that is on the mclaren san francisco youtube channel but the chiron didn't have a clean run on that particular video.

Your link still not working for me, you are correct that's the video I watched.

Chiron starts at around 1:48. There was multiple runs agains the various cars. It looks like it's repeating but they are from different runs and street and bird view.

It does handle corners you'd be nuts to think otherwise but slower accelerating cars perform equally or better on tracks so it is always about the sum of all things, straight line acceleration is the 720S's party trick.

I would LOVE to have access to the FikseSTS Highway, in that instance I would need a 720S :icon_super:

On a separate note, how about the P15 now that thing will be a monster! I can't wait to see it.

The P15 will be insane, but straight line is not the party trick of the 720S. It's that it can be fast on the track and then be a great cruiser, even in rain because it uses Corsa tires. The car puts those lap times while being sprung softly. That's incredible. Trofeo R tires is worth a lot of lap time, they're not really usable in the wet as seen from the Autocar wet lap times, and they wear fairly quickly. That's mostly true of the MPSC2 as well. Of course it's strong in a straight line from power to weight and aero. But if setup with Trofeo R, I'd be surprised if anything in this class other than the GT2RS would take it out

The P15 will be insane, but straight line is not the party trick of the 720S. It's that it can be fast on the track and then be a great cruiser, even in rain because it uses Corsa tires. The car puts those lap times while being sprung softly. That's incredible. Trofeo R tires is worth a lot of lap time, they're not really usable in the wet as seen from the Autocar wet lap times, and they wear fairly quickly. That's mostly true of the MPSC2 as well. Of course it's strong in a straight line from power to weight and aero. But if setup with Trofeo R, I'd be surprised if anything in this class other than the GT2RS would take it out

Performante easily takes it out with less HP and more weight also you don't have to be a Pro driver to milk its full potential, it sounds like a sports car should and it doesn't need to be parked after few laps in order to cool down.

I will eventually own a Mac but I will have to give them few more years, when I buy one it will have to be one of their very special models.

[quote name='Fortis' date='Nov 14 2017, 09:37 PM' post='129

Chiron starts at around 1:48. There was multiple runs agains the various cars. It looks like it's repeating but they are from different runs and street and bird view.

:icon_thumleft:

the only heads up road course comparison I have seen so far was by Road and Track and the perf won by .22 over ~1.5 minutes, of course winning is winning, but that doesn't seem "easy" to me, and the AMG GT-R beat em both!

https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod.s3.ama...p;resize=2048:*

Performante easily takes it out with less HP and more weight also you don't have to be a Pro driver to milk its full potential, it sounds like a sports car should and it doesn't need to be parked after few laps in order to cool down.

I will eventually own a Mac but I will have to give them few more years, when I buy one it will have to be one of their very special models.

the only heads up road course comparison I have seen so far was by Road and Track and the perf won by .22 over ~1.5 minutes, of course winning is winning, but that doesn't seem "easy" to me, and the AMG GT-R beat em both!

https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod.s3.ama...p;resize=2048:*

It's a win I will take it :icon_mrgreen:

My point is, the 720S puts bus lengths on the Performante in straight line the difference isn't the same on a race track that has corners so in my eyes the only thing that 720S has over the P is straight line acceleration, which locally I can't use, driving dynamics, with a caveat since I haven't driven a 720S until I drive one based on reviews I'd give it to the P, sound no contest, looks are subjective, personally I like the looks of the 720S specially in red and some blues, value for money (locally) 100% goes to the P.

Just as a very rough guide, locally depending on options etc:

P $500k - $650k

720S $600k to $750k

GT2RS $680k to $800k :lol2:

Not me. I was merely stating conversations with the "professional" drivers and their views and suggested that perhaps headquarters shared those same views which is why they're sticking with the NA engines. Perhaps they feel the turbo's aren't necessary to achieve the goals of the brand.

Personally I'd love to see the cars equipped with turbo's as for most owners such as us who are in the mood to play around with other cars are doing so on straight runs, not drives through countrysides to see who can get from Point A to Point B first.

You guys also know what happens when you tune an AMG GT, right? The GT S picks up an incredible amount of HP. I'm guessing the R won't get as much because it's running more boost right out of the factory. But I'd love to see a tuned R go head to head with a 720S. 100k + cheaper...

I'm tuning one next week with RENNtech, no way it will keep up with the 720s, but I'll try it....

You guys also know what happens when you tune an AMG GT, right? The GT S picks up an incredible amount of HP. I'm guessing the R won't get as much because it's running more boost right out of the factory. But I'd love to see a tuned R go head to head with a 720S. 100k + cheaper...

Having attended a few Lambo driving acadamy's and speaking with their Italian drivers, they ridicule straight line racing, says there's nothing challenging about it, that they prefer to race around turns, etc. Probably the same mindset at headquarters which is why they're keeping NA engines, not slapping turbo's on them.

Why is there a perception out there that as soon as you "slap a turbo" on a car it suddenly can't go around corners anymore? I guess F1 and Indycar and just about every other top level road course car out there today have it all wrong.

And whatever you want to say about any of these street cars, they are, in fact, street cars and will therefore spend a vast majority of their time on the street. I doubt anyone is pushing their cars hard enough on the public roads to where it would make a difference between a Performante and a 720S in terms of cornering prowess. They're both fast as fcuk, one just sounds better while the other goes faster.

great point! we are tuning (renntech) my GTS next week and ill run against brooks huracan and if I win next up will be his 720 for the take down! ;)

videos to come!

The sound from a Mac can also be taken care of with a nice valved exhaust! Still won't be Perf awesome, but it will close the gap in that dept.

Psyched to see the tuned AMG vs H and 720 race!

The sound from a Mac can also be taken care of with a nice valved exhaust! Still won't be Perf awesome, but it will close the gap in that dept.

Psyched to see the tuned AMG vs H and 720 race!

:icon_super:

great point! we are tuning (renntech) my GTS next week and ill run against brooks huracan and if I win next up will be his 720 for the take down! ;)

videos to come!

Any pics of the new car??