Unfuckingbelievable numbers from Tesla

derphurf

These are 2 FIRST electric cars/trucks that make sense. They are not for hipsters, not for ban-all-fun, not for human is too dangerous to drive- doom mongering idiots. These tickle my balls.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Daimler showed a smaller truck back in June at Tokyo I think, they already have manufacturing in place for diesel trucks in place throughout the world, if they can keep on track I think they will beat out tesla?

Neither the truck or roadster will actually happen. They can't deliver the product Elon, super showman he is will retire with billions (a lot of it our tax $$$$) us commoners will drive our Lambo's

Elon's track record of delivering on promises is solid considering the growth experienced at such a pace. Delivered on original Tesla framework to produce 3 models prior to introducing the Model 3. Delivered on repaying the first major loan from US govt plus principle. Delivering commitments to Puerto Rico, ISS, Australia, Tesla Supercharger infrastructure, megafactory, "the Boring company," etc. IMO although the Model 3 isn't being produced at the expected level, once those kinks are sorted out, the semi and roadster won't be an issue.

It's already happening in the music reproduction scene. No one knows how to appreciate music or what real music actually sounds like since everything either comes from earbuds or cans now.

If Auto Pilot gets its way, never mind what a trucker looks like; what's a trucker? :eusa_wall:

They are automating trains too, soon subways will likely not have drivers.

They are automating trains too, soon subways will likely not have drivers.

Just a FYI Wheels, some trains had been automated (driverless) since the mid 80’s.

Just a FYI Wheels, some trains had been automated (driverless) since the mid 80’s.

I see then that I am a bit behind-the-times :D Maybe it is more an American thing where the trains are driven by people still? I know Europe and the rest of the world tend to have far more advanced trains then they have here.

Some day , Tesla will be a very good short play on the market , some day . It is valued as a tech company right now , not an automaker , hence the stupid valuation . You can only lose money for so long before investors get fed up with you

I see then that I am a bit behind-the-times :D Maybe it is more an American thing where the trains are driven by people still? I know Europe and the rest of the world tend to have far more advanced trains then they have here.

No problem Wheels.

Here's something for your reading pleasure. This system has just turned 22yrs old.

http://www.yurikamome.tokyo/mechanism/automatic/

(scroll at the way down to those 5 pics and click on the blue text.)

Lots of people drinking the Kool Aid on this one.

The acceleration numbers I can believe, the top speed not so much, and the range no way.

I'll believe it all when I see it.

Good point on top speed.

You can get all the acceleration in the world with great torque and so so horsepower.

But top speed needs horsepower......even with great drag coefficients and light weight.

500 horsepower gets a Diablo up to around 200 mph, but an Ariel Atom with a superior power/weight ratio will not come close to sniffing such a high top seed.

top speed is easier one in my mind, power/gearing/aero/range is easy to work out, running 8.8 brings in a whole set of complications...

Drivetrain to 250 is easy. The regular model S does what, 130mph? A pretty simple solenoid actuated planetary gear setup could give it a 2nd gear that would easily get there. Based on Cd, frontal area, and lots of known constants it's relatively simple to get in the ballpark of power required to reach that speed.

Getting into the 8's is quite a bit more difficult. You're greatest asset would be light weight and that is the big unknown. Will the 200 batteries be physically the same size as the current 100? What will the curb weight be? If it really gets to 100 in 4.6, it's on the right track, but that means it will need to be a 170mph car in the 1/4. (I'm taking guesses because it's traction limited compared to dedicated drag cars).

This video claims a 1.9 0-60, which resulted in a 1.5 60ft and a deep 8 in the 170's. It's going to take some shit for a production car to lay down that kind of number.

What are estimates of horsepower for this car?

I'm very skeptical about it hitting 250 mph, or even 200.

250 mph in my mind is going to require in the 700-800 hp range, at a minimum.

For a car like this, hitting ultra low ETs is the easy part. Going really fast will not be.

It's the opposite of a big GT exotic that can hit 200+ with relative ease but will struggle to crack 10 seconds in the 1/4.

you don't think they have worked out the physics? It has 3 motors and could easily have 1500+ HP.... the current P100D motor in the rear is 500+ HP

and Elon is saying those are base model stats, there will be options for faster, quicker...

For a car like this, hitting ultra low ETs is the easy part. Going really fast will not be.

It's the opposite of a big GT exotic that can hit 200+ with relative ease but will struggle to crack 10 seconds in the 1/4.

Yes that top speed is very guestionable. If this has gear box then it is possible still not easy. But without it seems very unbelievable.

We need to see Hp/Nm curve of that motor and gear ratio to say more.

10000Nm sounds very optimistic too.

Motor propably will have easily the "needed" horsepower amount, it just can sustain that to speeds where it is needed aka high rpm and high drag velocities. Model S needs 200hp to reach 200kmh, so it would need 800hp to reach 400kmh, If aerodynamics are as low drag as big sedan but they never are, bigger engine needs more vents for cooling and more aero for high speeds so there is drag penalty. I would say it needs to have at least 1000hp to get to 400kmh. And it wont help even if it had 2000hp earlier in the rpm range if it cant sustain enough of it up top.

Closest I found.

retardation of acceleration will be very hard after that HP-peak starts to go down.

cg470.png

you don't think they have worked out the physics? It has 3 motors and could easily have 1500+ HP.... the current P100D motor in the rear is 500+ HP

and Elon is saying those are base model stats, there will be options for faster, quicker...

I only saw torque estimates, didn't see anything about hp.

1500 hp would definitely be able to hit such a speed assuming everything else was on point. Being able to run an 8.9 with "only" 700 hp would be a different story. A car with front and rear electric motors can produce some very impressive acceleration figures relative to overall output.

It's pretty ambitious to be shooting for a 250 mph target. If Lambo, Ferrari or Porsche announced such a thing tomorrow it would be surprising.

All that acceleration with "only" a 170 mph top speed would be plenty. And being that Tesla is a newb in the supercar industry, I wonder how stable their car would be at such speeds. Downforce doesn't seem to be a consideration.

Doesn't the Regera hit 250 MPH with no gearbox and 1500HP?

Yes that top speed is very guestionable. If this has gear box then it is possible still not easy. But without it seems very unbelievable.

We need to see Hp/Nm curve of that motor and gear ratio to say more.

10000Nm sounds very optimistic too.

Motor propably will have easily the "needed" horsepower amount, it just can sustain that to speeds where it is needed aka high rpm and high drag velocities. Model S needs 200hp to reach 200kmh, so it would need 800hp to reach 400kmh, If aerodynamics are as low drag as big sedan but they never are, bigger engine needs more vents for cooling and more aero for high speeds so there is drag penalty. I would say it needs to have at least 1000hp to get to 400kmh. And it wont help even if it had 2000hp earlier in the rpm range if it cant sustain enough of it up top.

Closest I found.

retardation of acceleration will be very hard after that HP-peak starts to go down.

The Mclaren F1 did 241 mph with "only" 627 hp. It's not just a matter of power I think people here are jumping to conclusions too quick.

Frankly it's all talk from everyone and speculation. You've put your money where your mouth is with respect to what you expect Tesla to pull off, and I really hope they don't let you down. Having said that, Teslas may not burn fossil fuels but the company sure does burn a ton of cash. If they can get a bunch of people to pay upfront for the Roaster they have essentially secured several million dollars of interest free funds over the next 3 years. I would just be concerned for my deposit. 3 years is a long ways away and there's a lot of people in front of the line if the taps run dry. Just want to make sure that you don't lose sight of the risks in the middle of the hype :icon_thumleft:

Whole different world. Regera drives electric and slips torque converter until it reaches speed that turns engine at idle speed or over, then the electric motor will sidestep completely after higher speed and obviously creates max power where it is most needed, at redline.

McLaren F1 has very small frontal area and quite clean design aero-vise, it's not Cd that kills topspeed it is CdA.

But not saying anything that Tesla could or could not do. Interesting to see, thats all! :)

And tesla looked to have quite clean design and small frontal too, impossible to say how it looks underneath.

No hate, just something to have in mind:

“The lap itself was around 10 minutes Bridge to Gantry (in heavy traffic) but unfortunately the car went into a reduced power mode about 3 minutes in due to excess battery heat (at least, that’s my guess).”

The Mclaren F1 did 241 mph with "only" 627 hp. It's not just a matter of power I think people here are jumping to conclusions too quick.

Frankly it's all talk from everyone and speculation. You've put your money where your mouth is with respect to what you expect Tesla to pull off, and I really hope they don't let you down. Having said that, Teslas may not burn fossil fuels but the company sure does burn a ton of cash. If they can get a bunch of people to pay upfront for the Roaster they have essentially secured several million dollars of interest free funds over the next 3 years. I would just be concerned for my deposit. 3 years is a long ways away and there's a lot of people in front of the line if the taps run dry. Just want to make sure that you don't lose sight of the risks in the middle of the hype :icon_thumleft:

and the award goes to..... :icon_thumleft:

I hope he will deliver. One question, are these deposits held in trust and the manufacturer only has access to it on delivering of the goods with your deposit earning interest in the mean time ? Do they have a sunset clause or can you call it back at anytime?

In the big scheme of things $50k isn’t a lot of money but it would still piss me off if I was lied to.

Some day , Tesla will be a very good short play on the market , some day . It is valued as a tech company right now , not an automaker , hence the stupid valuation . You can only lose money for so long before investors get fed up with you

That's exactly what I've been telling people. It's valued is totally wrong, it's not really a tech company, it's a car company and this is a very competitive segment, and once the big manufacturers launch electric products Tesla will get buried. I'm pretty sure Porsche is going to make a good electric car and that's on schedule to be launched in 2020. Tesla will have a lot of catching up to do in terms of build quality, design and so on.

I wouldn't care if the roadster goes beyond the speed of sound in 2 seconds, no engine = no soul, to me at least the way a car sounds is a big part of the experience. Speed isn't everything.

Tesla is a tech company that happens to make cars, they are valued as such because they have separate individual companies within the company itself. 1) They own Perbix which manufactures robotic for factories, 2) Mobile eye which is a develop company for the other auto industry brands. 3) Tesla power storage division 4) Tesla Gigafactory manufacturer for batteries for anything out there that uses batteries not just for their own cars. I know I'm forgetting more but these was on top of my head, each in their own are worth lots of coin and make additional value for Tesla. Google, and Apple are two other tech companies in talks in making their own cars in the future. Electric cars are here to stay and Tesla was the first in a long time to disrupt the auto industry, also this might be hard to believe here on this forum but there is millions maybe billions of people that can care less what a car sounds like.

That's exactly what I've been telling people. It's valued is totally wrong, it's not really a tech company, it's a car company and this is a very competitive segment, and once the big manufacturers launch electric products Tesla will get buried. I'm pretty sure Porsche is going to make a good electric car and that's on schedule to be launched in 2020. Tesla will have a lot of catching up to do in terms of build quality, design and so on.

I wouldn't care if the roadster goes beyond the speed of sound in 2 seconds, no engine = no soul, to me at least the way a car sounds is a big part of the experience. Speed isn't everything.

:iamwithstupid:

The real boon of electric motors to me is hybrid use, especially with a performance edge.

Such an awesome way to provide a form of supplementary hp/torque without the typical downsides of forced induction.

For this you gotta love electric motors in cars.

To kill off combustion engines, is a different story. That much would be sad.

All electric for an enthusiast car probably gets boring over time if it's your only special ride.

For me it is almost more tingling to know where the fat area is on the rpm range and when NA-engine that I have my self tuned starts to build up and really sing at higher echelon.

Performance and enjoyment are not neccessarily same thing.

I find modern turbo machinery with programmed pops and bangs and with sound that comes from speakers to be really dull experiences.

Are they really fast, yes they are? Can I use that very fast acceleration anywhere without very real risk of very heavy penalty, not really?

Ofcourse they are still fun and had I the means I would only have supercars, old, new, electric, everything... But I dont feel missing out much not having them, after driving them for short period of time.

also this might be hard to believe here on this forum but there is millions maybe billions of people that can care less what a car sounds like.

You are absolutely right, according to WFD there are 70 million deaf people in the world.

also this might be hard to believe here on this forum but there is millions maybe billions of people that can care less what a car sounds like.

also there are million and maybe billions without the financial means for buying a Tesla, access to electricity or even clean water, it will be a bit longer until we will all be driving washing machines on wheels, we in the so called civilized parts of the world tend to live in bubbles.

I am not a betting man but I have a $10k bet with a friend as to when that will happen, at this stage based on the date he's claim I know he is dreaming and I will take his money LOL.

For me it is almost more tingling to know where the fat area is on the rpm range and when NA-engine that I have my self tuned starts to build up and really sing at higher echelon.

Performance and enjoyment are not neccessarily same thing.

I find modern turbo machinery with programmed pops and bangs and with sound that comes from speakers to be really dull experiences.

Are they really fast, yes they are? Can I use that very fast acceleration anywhere without very real risk of very heavy penalty, not really?

Ofcourse they are still fun and had I the means I would only have supercars, old, new, electric, everything... But I dont feel missing out much not having them, after driving them for short period of time.

You are absolutely right, according to WFD there are 70 million deaf people in the world.

I feel terrible for laughing but that's funny right there LOL