Home speakers

JanDaMan

Class D for subs. ;) Otherwise Class A and preamp with tubes. Okay? :D

Ofcourse they need reinforcing inside. But for a third or fourth hifi setup at cottage it does not need to be perfect, good clarity and happiness when listening is enough. But old looks make it so that possible thieve that would look inside from window is not interested to break into cabin.

I am esoteric only at home...

BTW those Real Horns have water cooling inside for elements. Pretty neat. They drive them with lots of power in big events.

It’s a compromise for sure but ok, Class D for subs then. :)

Fair enough for the retro look if it’s meant for a cottage/cabin set up.

Liquid-cooled; most of the time by ferro fluid. For big events, area coverage is the key

so it will make sense to feed high-efficiency speakers like the horn-loaded ones with lots of power

to maximize sound coverage. Not the best sound though; quantity vs. quality.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They actually made bigger ones still.

Congrats on the Sony LSPX-S1. Keep us posted please.

It has arrived! Vast improvement over the regular desktop speakers I was using, and it looks cool. I'm going to play with it today and move it around a little. It's not super loud when I crank it up, but seems to fill out more of the room. Thanks for mentioning it, I didn't even know it existed!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4cwlmDZqwQUey4Aw1

What does everyone use for home automation? Im considering making my place a smart home during remodel.

Im looking for something central that will control blinds, lights, thermostats, ect. Suggestions?

Im using Sonos and have units all over the house and love the sound and features.

It has arrived! Vast improvement over the regular desktop speakers I was using, and it looks cool. I'm going to play with it today and move it around a little. It's not super loud when I crank it up, but seems to fill out more of the room. Thanks for mentioning it, I didn't even know it existed!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4cwlmDZqwQUey4Aw1

Glad I could help and good to know you like it.

Don’t expect miracles on its loudness given its size, it’s working principles and its intended use. You might want to place it near the corner of the room so it can use the nearby cornering walls to bounce off the sound for larger coverage.

What does everyone use for home automation? Im considering making my place a smart home during remodel.

Im looking for something central that will control blinds, lights, thermostats, ect. Suggestions?

Im using Sonos and have units all over the house and love the sound and features.

Crestron is the gold standard for bulletproof reliability. This is an expensive option that you can’t tweak yourself but will never need to.

My good friend is in the biz and loves Control 4. From what he has shown me it seems capable and very reasonable compared to Crestron.

I have control4. It’s a lot of hardware to do it right. Video distribution is a PITA to run wiring from a central rack out to all the TV and audio drops if you aren’t down to bare studs. I like being able to avoid having cable boxes, DVD players, AppleTv, Firestixks etc at each individual TV. If you go that route get the 4K video matrix, the audio distribution with most connectors etc to avoid upgrading later. I also like having everything run through one app (alarm, lights, thermostats, door locks, garage doors, TV, audio, security cameras).

You could replicate everything with standalone products for half the cost and 2x the research and work. Garage doors have their own apps. Door locks have their own apps. Pool controls. Lights. Alarm. If you can skip the video distribution part and stick with Sonos or something f with its own app/controls you will save a bundle.

My business partner has Savant and his setup and software interface seems cleaner. I wanted to do savant back in 2014 when I did control4 but st the time it was 20%+ more expensive. Cost is comparable to control4 now. I’d have a dealer do both come out and make a proposal. Then see if you can do better with standalone stuff.

• 4 weeks later...
Agree with Fellippe. The Technics is good for "plug & play" application with minimal setup. But it also limits the user's tinkering which could be a good and/or bad thing. Its reputation is like the slogan of a Timex watch: it takes a licking & keeps on ticking. It's built to last so you can almost abuse it and it would still work property. But is it a proper hi-fi turntable? Not really.

You might also wish to consider the VPI Prime Scout. Clearaudio is European (Germany) and VPI is American (New Jersey). Each has its own sound and it narrows down to your person preference.

So I ignored your advise and got the Technics 1200GR simply because I liked the look if it better (matches the amp). I put an Ortofon 2M Black cartridge on it and I'm super happy with the way it sounds.

post-8895-1519418710.jpg

post-8895-1519418715.jpg

So I ignored your advise and got the Technics 1200GR simply because I liked the look if it better (matches the amp). I put an Ortofon 2M Black cartridge on it and I'm super happy with the way it sounds.

No worries. You system and your preference so whatever makes you happy, it's all good. :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

The 1200GR is a "set & forget" turntable. While it limits your freedom on tweaking it, it also works on and on and on with consistent playback quality so it's all good.

Is that black cube a subwoofer? If so, have you tried putting it of the other side (where the speaker grilles is according to your pic)? You might get a better and more solid base if you switch sides as you will then have a "solid corner" for bass reflection. Enjoy your tunes.

Provided you have a really good wifi setup (probably with access points in a larger home) you can do a lot with a Smartthings Hub. I have one setup that controls quite a few lights, outlets, door locks, etc. It uses the ring products as motion sensors and integrates everything pretty damn seamlessly. I'm sure it's nowhere near as slick as the dedicated systems but if setup right it works extremely well and isn't overly cost prohibitive or invasive to install.

No worries. You system and your preference so whatever makes you happy, it's all good. :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

The 1200GR is a "set & forget" turntable. While it limits your freedom on tweaking it, it also works on and on and on with consistent playback quality so it's all good.

Is that black cube a subwoofer? If so, have you tried putting it of the other side (where the speaker grilles is according to your pic)? You might get a better and more solid base if you switch sides as you will then have a "solid corner" for bass reflection. Enjoy your tunes.

It’s not a sub, just a box I keep records in.

It’s not a sub, just a box I keep records in.

Thanks for the clarification. LOL, my bad! :P

I thought it was kind of odd since those sure look like they are full range speakers. (B&W CM's?) :icon_thumleft:

Thanks for the clarification. LOL, my bad! :P

I thought it was kind of odd since those sure look like they are full range speakers. (B&W CM's?) :icon_thumleft:

Yes, CM10 powered by a Rotel RA-1592. I'm really happy with the system, seems like it hits a sweet spot for price/performance, at least for me, but then again I've never listened to a super high end system so not sure what I'm missing out on.

Yes, CM10 powered by a Rotel RA-1592. I'm really happy with the system, seems like it hits a sweet spot for price/performance, at least for me, but then again I've never listened to a super high end system so not sure what I'm missing out on.

You are being humble. Rotel and B&W match each other well and it’s a great combo. Good call. :icon_thumleft: