Home speakers

JanDaMan

I don't know how else to explain what is missing, all I know is when I had my old Mazda RX6 with amp/equalizer below my seat I could have that unit on very low volume and it lit up the "soul". I don't believe modern stuff got worse over time.

Home audio is often 50% acoustics and 50% gear.

Car audio is at least 80% acoustics and tuning the system to play over come acoustical obstacles, deleting interior modes, implementing proper drivers in proper placement over any gear.

Throwing just money on gear is same as throwing darts in pitch black and without knowing which way the bulls eye is.

I have to say that car audio is partly better nowadays, D-class amps are miracle for car hifi, it just will sound better than turning half of the available capacity into pointless heat. Even cheap headunits can be good in sense of usability for bluetooth or usb connection, just use external amps.

There used to be lots of better headunits like Fellippe said: Nakamichis, McIntosh, Pioneer, etc... but Sony RSX-GS9 is maybe best at the moment. Also most expensive.

To the OP, you might like JBL 4307's?

jbl-model-4307-studio-monitor-aloitus.jpg

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Still like it, or prefer something else?

Almost forgot. Actually, there is something else that I was impressed of, the Sony LSPX-S1. It’s a Bluetooth speaker so you can stream your music to it. It looks cool (yes, it’s a light too; suppose to mimic a lantern) and it actually sounds quite good. Nothing esoteric of course but much much better than the regular Bluetooth-capable portable speaker box. And you only need one (if you insist on 2, you can configure each of them to function as 1 side of a pair). Not inexpensive for what it really is though (around $800) especially when compared to similar products of its class but it easily outperforms everything within that class of products by an order of magnitude. Strategically placed and people might not even know it’s a speaker. (The "lamp cover" is actually part of the glass tweeter assembly.) Can function without a power cord too. Fully charged, it lasts about 3.5 hours with both music and light on.

DBE63CAF_68C0_4A4F_9A03_A733ECC12CE7.jpeg

Almost forgot. Actually, there is something else that I was impressed of, the Sony LSPX-S1. It’s a Bluetooth speaker so you can stream your music to it. It looks cool (yes, it’s a light too; suppose to mimic a lantern) and it actually sounds quite good. Nothing esoteric of course but much much better than the regular Bluetooth-capable portable speaker box. And you only need one (if you insist on 2, you can configure each of them to function as 1 side of a pair). Not inexpensive for what it really is though (around $800) especially when compared to similar products of its class but it easily outperforms everything within that class of products by an order of magnitude. Strategically placed and people might not even know it’s a speaker. (The "lamp cover" is actually part of the glass tweeter assembly.) Can function without a power cord too. Fully charged, it lasts about 3.5 hours with both music and light on.

VCR, that's pretty cool. I'll have to check it out sometime....I like seeing novelty items like that.

What do you see as the ideal application for it?

I was introduced by a sound vendor two years ago about this device called Solid Drive by MSE Audio. Basically it's a small speaker driver that will turn any surface into a "speaker". It's like a headphone driver with a self contained enclosure.

For example you can place the driver face down (or even underneath facing up) a conference room table, and it will project sound throughout the entire table! And the sound quality is pretty good and full with enough low end to not sound thin.

It will work on smaller surfaces and glass too. The conference room window might have sounded better than the table, and we all know how bad glass usually is.

Of course, drywall is a big use for it too, but not one you could demo in 5 minutes.

The demo I heard two years ago only worked with an amplifier, but now it seems like it's usable without one (for the sake of demonstrating at least).

Now it seems they've divided the speakers individually for drywall, wood, and glass.

http://soliddrive.mseaudio.com/

I can't seem to upload the image of it, but the link will show some pics.

I believe the driver is maybe $200-300, and the rest additional. Cheap enough to play around with.

Fellippe, it is a pretty cool piece. A bit on the pricy side but nothing ever comes cheap from Sony. I see lots of applications. So long as one does not expect extreme high volume level with thumping bass, a studio type of apartment, restaurants & cafes and smaller-scale public space where BGM is needed would fit the bill.

I have seen/heard a demo of the SolidDrive. Very cool concept and it does work so long as you treat it like it is a PA system. The funny thing is this isn’t a new concept. Way back in the early 80’s, even before the original Sony Walkman days, there was a gadget call Bone Fone. Imagine a fabric sleeve like that from a shirt, at each end was a speaker (one of them had a built-in AM/ FM radio) the size of an iPhone 3 and about 50% thicker, wear this sleeve like it was a scarf with each speaker rested on top of your collar bone and you get the idea. I was a young kid then and not even close to know what hi-fi is but it was a pretty cool & trendy thing. Didn’t last very long though.

Fellippe, it is a pretty cool piece. A bit on the pricy side but nothing ever comes cheap from Sony. I see lots of applications. So long as one does not expect extreme high volume level with thumping bass, a studio type of apartment, restaurants & cafes and smaller-scale public space where BGM is needed would fit the bill.

I have seen/heard a demo of the SolidDrive. Very cool concept and it does work so long as you treat it like it is a PA system. The funny thing is this isn’t a new concept. Way back in the early 80’s, even before the original Sony Walkman days, there was a gadget call Bone Fone. Imagine a fabric sleeve like that from a shirt, at each end was a speaker (one of them had a built-in AM/ FM radio) the size of an iPhone 3 and about 50% thicker, wear this sleeve like it was a scarf with each speaker rested on top of your collar bone and you get the idea. I was a young kid then and not even close to know what hi-fi is but it was a pretty cool & trendy thing. Didn’t last very long though.

Haha, pretty funny application. Very appropriate for the decade!

Tempted to get both of these items...if anything to have a cheap mono system. :icon_mrgreen:

Thanks for all the input. Yes those JBL 4307's look like my old school preference, but maybe I need to get into the newer tower type we will see. Plus from what I see on line, many seem to want $3.000+ for those units used. Going to that audio shop soon to begin listing to some systems for my home & take suggestions from here. Over a week later I am finally feeling about 50% better from those damn colonoscopy meds (versed & Demerol) to the point where I can get out in public without spinning head & drooling all over. Not 100% yet, but a bit better. I may go no meds next time, this recovery is sick!

Too bad the car stereo systems got worse over time, but my wife says leave it alone anyway so there ya go.

I once PMed VCR about sound systems...it was a dark hole...not sure I climbed back out!!! LOL

He's one of the most patient and helpful person I've ever encountered on car forums. The man is an encyclopedia of sound systems, amongst other things.

Thanks again for helping us even if we're mere sound-system mortals. :icon_mrgreen:

Thank you very much OC for the very kind words! :icon_redface: Just trying to make the world a better place with good music. :)

JanDaMan, the JBL 4307 (along with the JBL 4312B) may resemble your preference visually but if you like the Infinity ES series, the JBL's likely won't fit your bill. All of the JBL 43XX & 44XX series are "monitor speakers" which are primarily designed for recording studios. Recording and sound engineers love them because they reveal exactly what the music/sound is like and they can then tinker with the sound to make it more appealing. Some audiophiles like it as they are like a microscope and hence they made in into home application. The flip side is if a recording is great, they sound great; but if a recording is bad, they sound horrendous! It boils down to personal preference of course but the JBL's will reveal the music exactly like it is whereas the Infinity will "beautify" the music somewhat. Euphonic perhaps but it is more pleasing and will result in less aural fatique if you run into a bad recording. Kind of like do you prefer your girl in jeans, hoodie and sneakers with no makeup at all vs. your girl in a dress with elegant high heels plus a light touch of makeup I guess. And yes, all JBL's 43XX & 44XX speakers are not cheap as they can be termed as studio instruments. Most are very well built with professional grade components. One gets what one paid for.

I am not sure if I would totally concur that home audio is 50% acoustic & 50% gear. Let's start by throwing out the issue on mods, i.e. replacing OEM parts with better-grade components; let's assume everything is in OEM. One can have esoteric hi-end speakers but if one does not know how to place them properly, the speakers will sound bad regardless. Conversely, start with a pair of entry level hi-fi speakers but place them strategically (away from the rear wall, perhaps slightly toe-in towards the listener), put them on spiked speaker stands if applicable and one can achieve quite good sound from them. The room environment plays a substantial role. Esoteric audiophiles consider the room as part of the components of the sound system. Room dimensions, construction materials, decorative materials, wiring of AC power and lighting all play a part to achieve that audio nirvana; I guess I am digressing... :icon_mrgreen: Of course, the listener has to have the know how but trial and error and practise makes perfect strongly apply here. So I would rate acoustics with a much higher percentage but that's just my view.

Well I made it to that audio shop, but I guess I was expecting more. Maybe its just me but it seems true audio shops are basically nonexistent anymore compared to many moons ago when I was in college. Back in little podunk upstate NY I remember walking in shops and they had all kinds of units & speakers all set up all over the place. Now about 35 years later I live in big time affluent OC CA and can not really find anything for my listening and buying experience except for stinkin Best Buy, Costco etc. "VH - Where Have All The Good Times Gone". Anyway, the shop did have an Integrated Amp set up with the Paradigm 75 which I listened to (shown in the photo below). So I am not sure what Integrated Amp I was listening to but he said it was an excellent amp for the Paradigm. He did have a Rotel RA-1570 on the other side of the room which would be a better amp and can adjust the treble and bass too which is probably essential for fussy me. But for what I heard it just didn't rock my wallet loose. It had a ton of high end tones, but to my tastes lacking in the area of richness, soul..."where's the beef!" Maybe that is what all these tall tower speakers are like now. In looking at them I guess I shouldn't be surprised because there's just a row of several small speakers and I suppose a somewhat larger speaker in the bottom of the tower. Maybe adding in a subwoofer would have done it for me, who knows. But if I am going to spend $5K or so I would like to be able to listen to what I am buying. Otherwise it may be best for me to spend it on something else such as replacing my funky folding Murci side mirror. But of course I could just roll the dice and get something like the Rotel RA-1570 along with the Paradigm 75 or 85 without even hearing it. In getting that home if it didn't do the trick then add a sub and catch hell from the wife in spending all her yarn money. On the cheaper end I could look into repairing the Mid speaker of the Infinity and see how that works, probably not loosing much cost there.

38590975186_1051f00c30_b.jpgIMG_1383 by JanDaMan, on Flickr

Thank you very much OC for the very kind words! :icon_redface: Just trying to make the world a better place with good music. :)

JanDaMan, the JBL 4307 (along with the JBL 4312B) may resemble your preference visually but if you like the Infinity ES series, the JBL's likely won't fit your bill. All of the JBL 43XX & 44XX series are "monitor speakers" which are primarily designed for recording studios. Recording and sound engineers love them because they reveal exactly what the music/sound is like and they can then tinker with the sound to make it more appealing. Some audiophiles like it as they are like a microscope and hence they made in into home application. The flip side is if a recording is great, they sound great; but if a recording is bad, they sound horrendous! It boils down to personal preference of course but the JBL's will reveal the music exactly like it is whereas the Infinity will "beautify" the music somewhat. Euphonic perhaps but it is more pleasing and will result in less aural fatique if you run into a bad recording. Kind of like do you prefer your girl in jeans, hoodie and sneakers with no makeup at all vs. your girl in a dress with elegant high heels plus a light touch of makeup I guess. And yes, all JBL's 43XX & 44XX speakers are not cheap as they can be termed as studio instruments. Most are very well built with professional grade components. One gets what one paid for.

I am not sure if I would totally concur that home audio is 50% acoustic & 50% gear. Let's start by throwing out the issue on mods, i.e. replacing OEM parts with better-grade components; let's assume everything is in OEM. One can have esoteric hi-end speakers but if one does not know how to place them properly, the speakers will sound bad regardless. Conversely, start with a pair of entry level hi-fi speakers but place them strategically (away from the rear wall, perhaps slightly toe-in towards the listener), put them on spiked speaker stands if applicable and one can achieve quite good sound from them. The room environment plays a substantial role. Esoteric audiophiles consider the room as part of the components of the sound system. Room dimensions, construction materials, decorative materials, wiring of AC power and lighting all play a part to achieve that audio nirvana; I guess I am digressing... :icon_mrgreen: Of course, the listener has to have the know how but trial and error and practise makes perfect strongly apply here. So I would rate acoustics with a much higher percentage but that's just my view.

Both 4307 and 4312 are fun home speakers for someone who wants retro sound, colored eq and a bit off loudness. 4429 is more serious speaker and so is 4365. 4319 I think is also former.

I would buy something else but did just mention them as options.

Hard to recommend something without knowing taste, space nor source.

JanDaMan, thanks for the update.

Did you listen to the system as pictured, i.e. exactly as the way how everything is placed in the pic? If so, then, alas, whoever did that knows very little about proper hi-fi. Obviously, they are trying to jam as many merchandises as possible into a compact space. It simply is wrong and it looks more geared toward a compact home theatre set up than anything else (and even that looks wrong).

Were those 3 black boxes the components to drive the Paradigm's? If so, they are Rega components.

A) There is insufficient space for the Paradigm 75F to operate properly; they are way too close to the rear wall and right beside a cabinet.

B ) Rega and Paradigm are not exactly a good match and especially for your taste. Rega is famous for turntables and has the conservative (yet elegant) "British Sound". Paradigm are fairly "open sounding" speakers. Imagine dropping a Jaguar V6 engine into your Murcie and you get the idea.

C) If you want more beef, you will need that Rotel amp along with the Paradigm Prestige 85F, perhaps even the 95F if your space allows it. You can also try the Monitor series instead of the Prestige series. Monitor 7 v7 or Monitor 9 v7. They don't "look" as good as the Prestige series and they sound less refined; but they have about 85% the tonal signature of the Prestige series.

D) Anthem is the brand that matches best with Paradigm speakers. But they mainly make AV receivers and separate preamp/surround sound processors & power amps. They make only 1 integrated amp but it's quite a high-end product; you would need to substantially increase your budget for that.

You also need to know that the current speaker technology; at least those that you have access to; is very different from your Infinity's. To start, the "ES" on your ES100 stands for Efficient Series. At 91db with 1W @1m & 4ohms impedance, your amp will need very little effort to power those speakers. The 4ohm nominal impedance may be a slight challenge at times but it wouldn't not-work. The other thing is there is a passive bass radiator per channel in the ES100 --- the bottom unit that you replaced. Without getting too technical, that thing is solely design to increase the sensation of bass and requires no power. So you are basically conditioned by the Infinity's to accept/prefer a bass-heavy tonal signature. I.e. even on a pair of "tonally correct and balanced" speakers, the bass will sound a bit shy to you.

Before someone says the Prestige 75F is even more efficient at 92dB and the Monitor 7 v7 is just as efficient at the same 91dB, that may be true per se but those are mere specs. We have long learned from cars that specs are very different from the actual feel. The same applies here. Just consider this: on the ES100 , there are only 2 speaker units per channel to power (the passive radiator needs no power as afore-said) so the crossover circuitry would be quite simple. On the 75F or the 7 v7, it's 4 & 3 active speaker units per channel respectively and some units are fairly high-tech. So the crossover circuit would be rather complex and similar to plumbing, if the pipeworks are complicated, then what comes out at the spout might not have much pressure.

If you want to experiment with a subwoofer, I would not say no. Just be forewarn that getting the bass to sound "right" can be a tedious and expensive undertaking. Good solid and tonally correct bass is $$$. Adding a subwoofer is opening a new can of worms as placement is critical in order to gain its true potential. But this is coming from someone who is extremely critical on tonal balance and seamless integration. So long as you are happy, that's what counts the most.

I did do a quick check on eBay and found that some foam suspension replacement parts is available although I am not sure which are the ones that would match the damaged unit on your ES100. Getting the right tech to do the repairs properly is likely even more challenging than finding a good stereo shop these days. But I suppose you can try the DIY method as it's not expensive and there really isn't anything to lose. Do that and then hook it up to your Pioneer AV receiver and see if that satisfies your needs. Great if it does and if not, we can go back and explore the Rotel + Paradigm Prestige/Monitor options.

P.S. Come to think of it, you should ask the shop that you went to and see if they would entertain you on hooking up a Denon AV receiver (nothing top-of-the-line, just entry level to mid-level models; something like the AVR-S530BT) to a pair of Paradigm Prestige 85F and a pair of Paradigm Monitor 7 v7. Add a subwoofer if necessary and see if you like the sound. If so, then just get a pair of Paradigm's and perhaps a subwoofer. Connect them up to your Pioneer AV receiver and start enjoying your tunes.

Both 4307 and 4312 are fun home speakers for someone who wants retro sound, colored eq and a bit off loudness. 4429 is more serious speaker and so is 4365. 4319 I think is also former.

I would buy something else but did just mention them as options.

Hard to recommend something without knowing taste, space nor source.

Agreed. The 4307 & the 4312B were primarily "compact" monitors designed for mobile/non-permanent set up for location monitoring. They evolved into home products for those who want the "pro & retro" look & sound. For some reason, the Japanese market loves them. The 4429 & the 4365 are true studio monitors built for industrial-grade applications. You would agree that they are substantially larger and heavier. All are good speakers to a certain extent but not ideal for hi-fi applications.

I guess I am being overly critical but I just cannot get over that pic that JanDaMan posted on that set up at the stereo shop! If it was someone else's home I would understand as space & aesthetics are important. But not for a stereo shop. I suppose they can argue that they are trying to create a "real world scenario" from most homes. If so, good luck on moving their inventory as they are doing plenty of disservice to the products. Main speakers placement, keeping the speaker grills on the speakers, having a sub right in front of the main speaker; and leaving a LP (vinyl record) out which can be easily damaged (despite it being on what looks like a Record Doctor record cleaning machine); and having a big screen tv on the rear wall to further ruin the sound. Almost everything that one should not do has been done in that pic! :eusa_wall:

VCR & all, thanks for your input. As far as all the integrated amp & speakers mentioned as potential options, it is a bit hard to pull the trigger and spend the money without hearing it first. That's like buying a Murci based on suggestions but never even driving one (ha ha, but I did that!). I suppose I could buy from suggestions and return it if I didn't prefer the end result, but that would be a pain and not sure if a shop would allow that anyway. From a business perspective I would think there would be great opportunity in OC CA if a good shop was opened and marketed well to where people could be attracted to something other than the typical Best Buy & such and have many listening options on hand. Best Buy does have the "Magnolia" entertainment room set up, which does look nice but they are limited (for instance not even one integrated amp set up, but lots of receivers). However I understand rent in OC CA is ridiculous; hence maybe why that one shop I visited is what it is for their space. I don't want to criticize them as it seems its the only shop around and the guy was knowledgeable in talking with him. How the hell do people buy nice systems? Do they assume Best Buy is the best stuff and then buy what they listen to there, or do people already know what they want and then order it off the internet (or through the audio store) without even listening to it? People are people and if there really is such a different listening experience with high end stuff (non Best Buy), then I would suspect a nice high end shop would do very well even from the average Joe looking around to buy. But I am obviously no audio expert, but just the average Joe looking for a pretty good replacement system. If I had the money and a knowledgeable sales person I would open such a shop and market the piss out of it; because if such systems are as good as we say then they should sell themselves once someone is in the store to listen to some comparisons even if better costs more. Anyway, off subject I know. But if I can't listen to some options then I will just monkey with my current system for now and maybe it will just be "good enough" for me at least for the time being. I have some EPI speakers too that I bought with my Sherwood years ago and I always liked them when playing with my Sherwood (shown below). But when the Sherwood petered out and I went to the garage sale Pioneer receiver I thought the sound wasn't that great. I will hook it up again and see. I have lots of stuff to look at, such as even seeing if that Pioneer unit has Bluetooth too. I recall the damn manual alone was like 100+ pages, too much unnecessary stuff for me, but it was garage sale. Regarding speaker placement, in my living room maybe placement isn't super important because I rarely sit down when playing music as I am just into too many things walking around doing this & that around the house at least 90% of the time. But even so, I can still hear quality from crap. To VCR, the amp and speakers they guy in the shop was running was just the Paradigm and that amp just to the left of the right speaker in the photo above (amp with the dial).

38602396096_1715dbc147_b.jpgIMG_1419 by JanDaMan, on Flickr

JanDaMan, all good points.

Yes, then they were using an integrated amp from Rega which I don’t think is the best fit for the Paradigms. Gone are the days when they actually have loaners to take home to try. Is it possible to call up the place and ask them to pre-assemble a system of your choice and then you come in for the audition?

Thanks VCR & Fellippe. Yes at some point I would like to make it south to La Jolla to hear a nice system in person. Plus as VCR suggests maybe that local shop could hook up his Rotel RA-1570 to his Paradigm 75 since the Rotel is just about 25 feet from the Paradigm on the other side of the room. But for right now I got my old EPI hooked up through my garage sale Pioneer receiver and it sounds so damn good. But being 30+ years old I suspect the EPI will eventually give out like the Infinity did. I'm surprised that over the numerous drunkin college years of cranking Van Halen with that system I have not blown those EPI already too. However one thing I found is that the Pioneer receiver doesn't have Bluetooth, but it does have a port for my iPhone where I can plug that in for youtube music. The EPI are still in my computer room and garage now, so I will eventually move them to the living room to see if I can live with this set up for a bit. If it sounds ok in the living room I may look into costs to repair the Infinity too because it would still be nice to have the second set back in the computer room and garage or just put all 4 in the living room. Those EPI sound so good I actually wouldn't mind another set of those. Maybe I am just used to the old school box type speakers, but this sure sounds better than the set up I heard in the shop yesterday. But as mentioned it looks like that set up was not ideal.

That Pioneer system is pretty complex in my opinion, the company trying to do so many things with the Receiver. I am not the type that does well with 100+ pages of instructions: https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFi...uctions0128.pdf

Just a suggestion if you want something simple and decent sound for not too much coin.

For my family room, I added some SONOS gear (Soundbar + Subwoofer) and for my needs-they do a great job.

JanDaMan, too bad your Pioneer AV receiver is the VSX-1019 and not the 1020 because the “20” series would be Bluetooth compatible; you buy a dongle, connect it to the receiver and it’s good to go. Oh well...

All modern AV receivers try to do everything but walk the dog. With the advent of digital, the connectivity and versatility of an audio/video hub machine exploded. Hence my recommendation to you on an integrated amp instead; nice and simple amplification circuitry; almost plug-and-play.

JanDaMan, too bad your Pioneer AV receiver is the VSX-1019 and not the 1020 because the “20” series would be Bluetooth compatible; you buy a dongle, connect it to the receiver and it’s good to go. Oh well...

All modern AV receivers try to do everything but walk the dog. With the advent of digital, the connectivity and versatility of an audio/video hub machine exploded. Hence my recommendation to you on an integrated amp instead; nice and simple amplification circuitry; almost plug-and-play.

Yes when I am ready to hear what is mostly suggested here in a store I believe I will definitely go with an integrated amp. I bet that Rotel is great hooked up and I sure would like the simplicity. But one more question, as I mentioned in my old Mazda RX7 amp/equalizer under the car seat I loved that thing. Any thoughts about using an equalizer in a home system. I am just thinking it may be beneficial for tweaking a bit more than just standard + or - bass & treble?

Any thoughts about using an equalizer in a home system. I am just thinking it may be beneficial for tweaking a bit more than just standard + or - bass & treble?

Well, equalizer in a home system is actually a thing of the pass. And from the perspective of pure hi-fi, treble and bass adjustment are a bit of a no no. But it's your system so you should do whatever you like to tailor it to your taste. 2 challenges though:

1) You are going to have a hard time finding a new EQ for sale at any stereo shop. As above-said, EQ's are a thing of the pass. Most new ones don't come in "physical form" anymore; they are in "software form" so you will need a PC for it. I don't think you want to go that route. I suppose you can try garage sale, eBay and Kijiji to pick one up.

2) Being an "integrated" amp, the Rotel or any amp in this genre combines a pre-amp and a power amp together in one box. If you were to install an EQ, it would go in between the pre-amp and the power amp. Some integrated amp has a "pre-out" output circuit so you can connect it to a standalone power amp in the future should you decide to go separate. Some would also have a "pre-in" input circuit for those who prefer to use the power amp section of the integrated amp only. If the Rotel has both the pre-in and pre-out jacks, you are in business. Unfortunately, it does not. The Rotel only has a pre-out output and no pre-in input so it's not possible to add an EQ into it.

Since the EQ works in the analogue domain and the Rotel has built-in Bluetooth reception. You cannot put the EQ in between the Bluetooth component and the Rotel either. If you are using CD or DVD player, you can put the EQ in between the CD/DVD player and the integrated amp but only if you choose to use the analogue output of the CD/DVD player. But it would likely be more beneficial to use the CD/DVD digital output and connect that to the Rotel's built-in DAC for better sound quality.

Hope this isn't too confusing for you.

VCR thanks, man that thing looks great, I wish I could hear it somewhere in person. (i'm in barcelona if you have ideas?) Yes for portable I was talking about something like that Sony speaker. But wow at the price! Is there a clear winner for like $100-300 range? Sonos was making big waves a few years ago.

VCR thanks, man that thing looks great, I wish I could hear it somewhere in person. (i'm in barcelona if you have ideas?) Yes for portable I was talking about something like that Sony speaker. But wow at the price! Is there a clear winner for like $100-300 range? Sonos was making big waves a few years ago.

You are welcome.

Naim is an UK brand so its product should be available at the higher-end electronics shops throughout Europe.

Due to the physical limitations of the speakers, there really aren’t many choices for the “portables”. When one is at the $300 mark, IMO, one is better off with headphones. Not earbuds but full-size headphones that cover one’s ears. Just take note that neither the speaker nor the headphones will be tonally correct in terms of imaging and soundstage presentation. If you insist of potable Bluetooth speakers, Ultimate Ears are ok. For headphones, both Sennheisers and Grado’s are fine. Select the models that fit your budget and taste. The S and the G have very different tonal signatures; choose the brand that fits your own preference.

Was never and still am not much of a Sonos fan. Convenience, yes; good sounding, barely made the grade IMO. Good packaging & marketing though.

You are welcome.

Naim is an UK brand so its product should be available at the higher-end electronics shops throughout Europe.

Due to the physical limitations of the speakers, there really aren’t many choices for the “portables”. When one is at the $300 mark, IMO, one is better off with headphones. Not earbuds but full-size headphones that cover one’s ears. Just take note that neither the speaker nor the headphones will be tonally correct in terms of imaging and soundstage presentation. If you insist of potable Bluetooth speakers, Ultimate Ears are ok. For headphones, both Sennheisers and Grado’s are fine. Select the models that fit your budget and taste. The S and the G have very different tonal signatures; choose the brand that fits your own preference.

Was never and still am not much of a Sonos fan. Convenience, yes; good sounding, barely made the grade IMO. Good packaging & marketing though.

Yes Sonos suddenly was in every millenial-techy podcast as a sponsor, that should say something. As far as headphones,why are over the ears so much better than earbuds, or is it not by much? I've bought these last year, and they are incredible with the bass range. They blew 2 pairs of Senhs out of the water https://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDRXB50AP-Extra...t/dp/B00JRD13T8 I can't believe they cost this little actually. They are heavy in the ear though.

As far as headphones,why are over the ears so much better than earbuds, or is it not by much? I've bought these last year, and they are incredible with the bass range. They blew 2 pairs of Senhs out of the water

I'm about to say something that might not sit well with some here:

Neither headphones nor earbuds are sonically correct as far as soundstage goes, i.e. width, depth & height of the music and, at times, the size of the musical instrument and/or the voice of the singer. The "image" takes place on top of the listener's head in a compressed/constricted way and that's just wrong. Some of the modern esoteric-grade headphones from Sennheiser, Ultrasone and AKG are starting to offer more correct soundstage due to advancement in materials and designs but compare to speakers, they are still a far cry. Earbuds are worse because they fit inside of the ear and they create a seal between itself and the listener. There just isn't room for alternative or better design. Unless they start playing with time-delay circuitry (which there won't be space for it unless one carries a outboard processor; and even at that, where does it get the power from?); there should not be much change in the foreseeable future. Earphones were invented for the purpose of sound isolation where the listening environment is challenged. They were never meant for anything else. The Sony Walkman took down that rule and started the "personal hi-fi" era which is still going strong today. Earbuds were an evolution and arose from technology and materials advancement. But neither are correct. Think about it, if headphones are correct, why do we need speakers? Why can't we just have a box that essentially houses 3 or 4 headphone amps and the listener(s) can just plug in the cans and enjoy the tunes. Heck, each may even choose their own brand of cans with its own tonal signature so you will have 4 people listening to the same tune simultaneously but with 4 different tones in a relatively small environment. So obvious, there is something that cans and buds simply cannot reproduce or replace.

Some prefer earbuds because the "seal" or isolation from ambient noise is better. Portability also plays a role. But in truth, earbuds are seldom tonally correct. Most are exaggerated and imbalance. Plenty put emphasis on the bass. And there is this huge misconception that heavy & strong bass is good. Sensation-wise, yes, it's simple psychology that we follow a pleasing rhythm. But that does not mean it is sonically balanced and correct. Go to a jazz club or something as simple as watching a school band perform and one would understand what live music is like and how different recorded music is. Even better and more obvious when one plays a musical instrument. Just because it has a better-defined bass or there is more "ummph" to it does not mean it is better.

Headphones:

Quality listening on the go, and also when you cannot listen to proper system (i.e. late at night).

Earbuds have their place for commuting types in the big cities, and proper large headphones whether you are using them on an airplane or with an amplifier in a home have their place as well.

The key here IMO is not to spend big $$ on these items. You can get pretty good earbuds around $100, and headphones anywhere between $50- few hundred.

It's just like car audio. Keeping the party going no matter where you go. :icon_pidu:

For headphones to be the flagship audio gear, that's just not ideal.