McLaren Senna

derphurf

I think it will perform amazingly well and will be a blast to drive due to its power to weight ratio because of it I might be able to get over the looks, what I don’t like is the price, it’s literally a modified 720S for 5 times the price or more, I guess from that perspective McLaren took a file from Lambo’s book, see Veneno, Centenario, etc. the only difference is the performance, the Lamborghinis mentioned don’t have much greater performance than the non bodykitted versions.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think it will perform amazingly well and will be a blast to drive due to its power to weight ratio because of it I might be able to get over the looks, what I don't like is the price, it's literally a modified 720S for 5 times the price or more, I guess from that perspective McLaren took a file from Lambo's book, see Veneno, Centenario, etc. the only difference is the performance, the Lamborghinis mentioned don't have much greater performance than the non bodykitted versions.

The MSRP on the Senna is $957K, with virtually all options included. There area few must-haves that push the price to $970K. The 720S MSRP is $288K, but that's unrealistic, a car with decent spec is mid-3's, call it $350K, so the factor is ~2.7X. For this you get a much faster track toy, and an extremely rare car. In the same vein, a P1 was literally a modified 12C at ~3x the price depending on spec, so about the same. Same basic chassis, same hydraulic suspension, same engine, with an added hybrid system and a much prettier body. And vastly better track development and tuning. Considering that 12C values are mid 100s and P1s are over 2M, the market doesn't care very much about where the bits came from, it cares about rarity, exclusivity, and notoriety.

I was comparing prices at my end, I was told they were over $2mil, never asked the dealer because they were sold out so I didn’t bother.

D079C152_2190_4C7C_8AC0_614447898E04.png

I like it and it looks killer in all black.

The wing looks ridiculous, they should’ve employed an active solution I know it adds a bit of weight but still...

The wing looks ridiculous, they should've employed an active solution I know it adds a bit of weight but still...

The wing is active, and works in conjunction with the front aero blades, like ALA.

Active Rear Wing

The massive double element Carbon Fibre active rear wing is the most dramatic exterior design feature of the McLaren Senna. It constantly and automatically adjusts its angle to shorten braking distances, optimise downforce levels, reduce drag when required and fine-tune the aerodynamic balance of the car.

The rear wing features a 'swan neck' design, meaning that it is mounted from above rather than below. This keeps the underside of the wing clean and clear, improving its efficiency providing a huge downforce gain. The rear wing pylons are also made of Carbon Fibre, with aerospace-grade aluminium used for the machined-from-solid wing mounts. This extremely lightweight yet strong construction can support over 180 times its own weight in downforce.

The rear wing works in conjunction with the front active aero blades to ensure front-to-rear aero balance remains consistent irrespective of speed.

As for ridiculous, the same was said of the F40 when it came out. Some still find it ridiculous... :lol:

I'm sure for much extra $$ MSO will develop a wing that hides itself flush and pops up when you want to frighten children.

biggrin.gif

Or use as a park bench LOL

Jokes aside as hideous as it looks if I had the opportunity to buy one at RRP and spec it myself I’d buy one, the power to weight ratio and the interior just does it for me and I think it will be an amazing drive, also the car in real life must look better than the photos, it’s impos not to :lol2:

Or use as a park bench LOL

Jokes aside as hideous as it looks if I had the opportunity to buy one at RRP and spec it myself I'd buy one, the power to weight ratio and the interior just does it for me and I think it will be an amazing drive, also the car in real life must look better than the photos, it's impos not to :lol2:

Agreed. My initial reaction was not quite as bad as yours, but it was of the "let's find the good side" variety, much like Xmas time when there's only that one tree left and well, you buy it. But fortunately I do get to order one, so I'm coming at it from a different perspective: I see it as a challenge to understand the design and then make it as attractive and fitting as possible.

Barring that, all black. :lol:

Agreed. My initial reaction was not quite as bad as yours, but it was of the "let's find the good side" variety, much like Xmas time when there's only that one tree left and well, you buy it. But fortunately I do get to order one, so I'm coming at it from a different perspective: I see it as a challenge to understand the design and then make it as attractive and fitting as possible.

Barring that, all black. :lol:

Lucky you but if I were in your shoes I’d put lipstick on the pig and order it in some crazy color combo.

Lucky you but if I were in your shoes I'd put lipstick on the pig and order it in some crazy color combo.

I'm sure there will be many race liveries and Senna colors tributes that will attempt just that!

The side profile I thought was an abomination....but from the front and rear 1/4s it doesn't look AS bad..... The black certainly hides a lot of the strange design cues which is a good thing...

As I said I'd buy one if I had the opportunity at RRP :icon_mrgreen:

That's the only way I'll buy cars like this: either I get in on the ground floor so when I put the miles on it hopefully I break even or make a bit, or I move on and let the suckers pay 2-3x list price for a car they cannot drive because the premium and subsequent value is based on delivery mileage.

That said, what specs resonated with you?

That's the only way I'll buy cars like this: either I get in on the ground floor so when I put the miles on it hopefully I break even or make a bit, or I move on and let the suckers pay 2-3x list price for a car they cannot drive because the premium and subsequent value is based on delivery mileage.

That said, what specs resonated with you?

I’d need to see it in person to take in all of the details, that will impact on the spec, lots of black with an accent color, I like red as an accent color, blue, certain greens, darker ones in particular, or get a base color and wrap the accents, I think you could make it look decent and certainly different, the only thing which kills it for me is the wing, it looks ridiculous, also it sits too far in, I know it’s a matter of function but that kills it.

Do you have an allocation?

I'd need to see it in person to take in all of the details, that will impact on the spec, lots of black with an accent color, I like red as an accent color, blue, certain greens, darker ones in particular, or get a base color and wrap the accents, I think you could make it look decent and certainly different, the only thing which kills it for me is the wing, it looks ridiculous, also it sits too far in, I know it's a matter of function but that kills it.

Do you have an allocation?

Yes I do, which is why I've been looking at the design so intently. My feeling is this: the car has a lot of black CF, and bodywork that is more "filler" and aero appendage than describing an overall form. It's also very busy, lacking the fluid simplicity of the P1, and will look best as a monotone or high contrast two-tone car, iow keep it simple. So, either do black/dark grey/dark green for monotone, or some color that begs to be paired with black: white, yellow, light to medium blue come to mind. I think Volcano Yellow would be the safe route, the bumblebee look is familiar and angry-looking.

Congrats on the spot, you lucky, looking forward to seeing what you will come up with.

Thanks. i guess it paid off to have bought into a fledgling brand and taken a chance 5 years ago when no one outside of Formula 1 circles knew who McLaren was.

Thanks. i guess it paid off to have bought into a fledgling brand and taken a chance 5 years ago when no one outside of Formula 1 circles knew who McLaren was.

When are they talking deliveries ?

When are they talking deliveries ?

I don't know for myself, but overall sooner than I thought. From what I hear, they're building them by VIN order in 125 car batches, so 4 x 125. High-hundreds VINs are set for late this year, so I'm assuming first deliveries start this summer, production ramps up, and will finish by late 2019. Some people's specs have already been submitted.