McLaren Senna

derphurf

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oookay, I will take everything I said back and do 180°. I am now a total believer. The shape works, even the front and wing.

Those early photos should be illegal.

I quite like this color combo, the rear is still an atrocity committed against car design, the sound doesn’t match the looks, I’d still want one.

Just FYI, US market cars (and maybe some others), have a dual exhaust that doesn't have the silencer section. Looks weirder than the 3 tip version, but 5 kg lighter and louder :)

I never watch this guys videos but this was great. Liking this car more and more!

I watched the three videos released yesterday, and shmee's was the best for design coverage, but he's so eager I have to mute him... Catchpole's vid was more relaxed, and the JMW one was good because of the different setting, and the talk with Andy Palmer. That color is much better than the orange, looking at the hi-res pix online I realized that it's a sparkly metallic, it may be stunning in person. Hopefully they will have all the paint samples at the upcoming spec sessions here in the US, as well as a scale model. After looking at the car now for weeks, all the info, brochures, option books etc, I'm starting to get the design, and it's much better than first impressions. I think it's because it's so unashamedly an aero engineer's car, a technical exercise, that it leaves cold many supercar owners, who are buying cars as objects of beauty. A race team wouldn't really care as long as it's fast, but someone buying it as an extension of ego doesn't have much to grab on to.

Still looks like shit no matter what spec they bring.

I would much rather go and buy Apollo IE in this bracket. As it will propably eat senna as a breakfast and look freaking awesome doing it...

2018-apollo-intensa-emozione-launch.jpg

2018-apollo-intensa-emozione-launch-5.jpg

2018-apollo-intensa-emozione-2.jpg

I would much rather go and buy Apollo IE in this bracket. As it will propably eat senna as a breakfast and look freaking awesome doing it...

Those cost $2.7mil+ you could buy three Senna's!

I do LOVE that purple carbon though...

Those cost $2.7mil+ you could buy three Senna's!

I do LOVE that purple carbon though...

That's another interesting topic. Like every almost million costing "hyper"car in last 10 years, will Senna will be worth that after couple of years. Or will it follow MP12-4 valuing and drop like a stone.

But taking a quess, buy Senna - wait for few years and trade in for Apollo.

The Apollo is much better looking than the Senna, (so is pretty much any other car) but it is highly doubtful that the Apollo will best the Senna in any kind of speed competition.

:iamwithstupid:

The Apollo is much better looking than the Senna, (so is pretty much any other car) but it is highly doubtful that the Apollo will best the Senna in any kind of speed competition.

If that car doesn’t perform with that looks it will be a total flop, I am sure McLaren made sure it performs, it’s like medicine and everything else that’s apparently good for you, it tastes like crap because it’s good for you LOL

Looks absolutely insane. Wow

2018-apollo-intensa-emozione-launch-5.jpg

2018-apollo-intensa-emozione-2.jpg

What makes you say that? Personally I really like that purple carbon and the Apollo IE chassis, but I think the styling is extremely overdone. Not a fan of those sharp edges on the fenders, the flower petal exhaust, the canard/front bumper design, or the rear wing (seriously, why is it not rectangular). Not as "ugly" as the Senna and sounds absolutely fantastic, but not sure how you're coming to the conclusion that this thing is any faster. I would be beyond surprised if it was, and that's at 3 times the price

What makes you say that? Personally I really like that purple carbon and the Apollo IE chassis, but I think the styling is extremely overdone. Not a fan of those sharp edges on the fenders, the flower petal exhaust, the canard/front bumper design, or the rear wing (seriously, why is it not rectangular). Not as "ugly" as the Senna and sounds absolutely fantastic, but not sure how you're coming to the conclusion that this thing is any faster. I would be beyond surprised if it was, and that's at 3 times the price

I said it is in same bracket, I meant that for performance. For everything else, looks and "emotion" from high revving NA engine it will eat it alive.

But it could be also faster as if that was important even.... a lot more massive aero package and lets not forget the founder. "Roland Gumpert, the founder of Apollo, once held the position of director of Audi Sport. Under his management, Audi won a total of 25 World Rally Championship races and four World Rally Championship titles." And Gumpert Apollo was already amazingly fast compared to any competition it had on it's day.

I said it is in same bracket, I meant that for performance. For everything else, looks and "emotion" from high revving NA engine it will eat it alive.

But it could be also faster as if that was important even.... a lot more massive aero package and lets not forget the founder. "Roland Gumpert, the founder of Apollo, once held the position of director of Audi Sport. Under his management, Audi won a total of 25 World Rally Championship races and four World Rally Championship titles." And Gumpert Apollo was already amazingly fast compared to any competition it had on it's day.

What does that even mean? When one says eat it alive, it suggests in performance, not in subjective matters. Not sure if you've noticed McLaren's pedigree, but it's a lot more than Audi's/Gumpert's.

When you say a lot more massive aero package, do you realize that it makes about 100 kg more downforce (but not active) with significantly more drag? And that it doesn't have fully active suspension like the Senna (hydraulically adjusted roll, heave, spring rate, ride height, etc)? Or a DCT? Or 580 ft lb of torque from 3500 rpm to 7000? And likely 100 hp less?

And yes, buying a car with that much aero, speed is important.

Not to browbeat but I would say there is zero chance that the Apollo IE will be able to turn a quicker lap time or accelerate harder or anything else performance related than the McLaren Senna. "As if that was important even..." These are performance cars after all, how they perform is pretty important unless you just like cruising down the boulevard getting looks. Roland Gumpert built the Gumpert Apollo but the IE is a completely different chassis and I don't think Gumpert had any input on the IE's design. And whatever achievements Gumpert has had in his career it pales in comparison to the racing lineage of McLaren.

Looks better, yes, sounds better, yes. But it will not perform better. I would venture to say they won't even be in the same bracket performance wise.

Not defending the Senna...It's ugly as sin and I'm not going to buy one as a result. But you can't deny that it will be a stunning performer.

I'd take that Apollo IE over anything from any maker including Lambo. It ticks off all of the right boxes...800 hp NA V12 revving to 9000 rpm, 2700 lbs, looks and sounds insane. I don't think it's road legal though.

The Apollo looks a lot better than the Mac from every aspect but I would trust Mac's engineering far more than the Apollo's.

Neither car appeals to me though. Have to see them IRL to make a fair assessment.

The Apollo looks a lot better than the Mac from every aspect but I would trust Mac's engineering far more than the Apollo's.

Neither car appeals to me though. Have to see them IRL to make a fair assessment.

I watched few videos of the Apollo, that V12 sound, you can’t beat that but I agree the McLaren tech is the one I’d want.

• 2 weeks later...

Well all the Senna's are all sold out and they will appreciate like the P1. These are unique cars and for us that own a McLaren and understand the purpose behind the looks of them I think it is an amazing achievement. Whether you like McLaren cars or not their is not one manufacturer that can compete with the existing line for the price point. I have driven a 488 and Huracan and will take my 570s any day over one. The only negative I had with the McLaren line was the sound of the exhaust when I was looking. Then I heard one with an exhaust and knew if I bought one I had to get an exhaust. Felt the same way with my Gallardo and Murcie cars...they had to have an exhaust. With the exhaust it is an amazing sounding car now that I truly love...the turbo wine at idle is just amazing to me since I have never owned something that sounded this way. It reminds me of hearing Tony's TTG and wishing my Lambo sounded that way.

https://latest.mclaren.com/posts/mso-weaves...eneva_961080001