Atlanta airport without power for hours

sprite

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/power-outa...rport/665254579

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/12/17/us/atlan...tage/index.html

Crazy how the world's busiest airport loses power for hours (it's still not back on). You would think they had some backup systems. Reports of smoke in terminals also. This is going to cause a huge ripple effect the next few days.

Crazy. just flew out of that airport yesterday.

Hate to say it, but terrible airport. Could be worse...?

The airport is owned by the city and terminals leased by the airlines, correct?

Crazy. just flew out of that airport yesterday.

Hate to say it, but terrible airport. Could be worse...?

The airport is owned by the city and terminals leased by the airlines, correct?

I believe so. It's Delta's main hub. What didn't you like about it? It's my favorite airport. Never a long line in immigration and bags usually arrive super quick. This issue is very unusual though.

I believe so. It's Delta's main hub. What didn't you like about it? It's my favorite airport. Never a long line in immigration and bags usually arrive super quick. This issue is very unusual though.

As I reflect on this more, for a major hub, it wasn't too bad.

Just fuk'n huge, too many people, terminals spread out, accommodations in airport so so, train always breaking down, and have to walk too far to connecting flight (if needed). I was flying Delta back to CA. Bags do arrive quick, A+ for that. More of an airline issue with baggage than airport though, San Jose airport, for me, has been most awesome in regard to this.

TSA pre-check is awesome for that airport. For the amount of passengers they have, moves quick, their automated system is awesome.

ATL has been having lots of issues as of late, yes, pretty uncommon.

IDK, it just feels too spread out/crowded/unfinished. Skyclub every 100ft FTW though!

I guess the east coast just isn't for me :/.

IMO, ATL is one of the better airports in the US considering the traffic it has to handle on a daily basis. Not sure if it'll make the top 3 but definitely high-ranking.

Nothing beats the efficiency of the major airport hubs in SE Asia, HKG, NRT, KIX, SIN among some of the best if not the best. On the other end of the scale, LHR is likely the absolute worst airport as a major hub of any 1st-World country in the modern era. It's nicknamed Deathrow for a reason and no matter how many more satellite terminals they build, it still sucks big time. Likely the more they build; the worse it will get. If you have to transit through LHR, pls fly at least biz class otherwise make sure you have a 4hr window at least for transit.

IMO, ATL is one of the better airports in the US considering the traffic it has to handle on a daily basis. Not sure if it'll make the top 3 but definitely high-ranking.

Nothing beats the efficiency of the major airport hubs in SE Asia, HKG, NRT, KIX, SIN among some of the best if not the best. On the other end of the scale, LHR is likely the absolute worst airport as a major hub of any 1st-World country in the modern era. It's nicknamed Deathrow for a reason and no matter how many more satellite terminals they build, it still sucks big time. Likely the more they build; the worse it will get. If you have to transit through LHR, pls fly at least biz class otherwise make sure you have a 4hr window at least for transit.

Heathrow is only airport where I have missed my flight, it was successful joint venture by horrible traffic jams mile after mile and motorway after another, bad design of airport and absolutely poor quality of the nonexistent Norwegian personnel on their gate.

Heathrow can be a little problematic, beyond being a bit of a drive from London.

On a return flight back east on BA from JFK to LHR and a change of airline to Emirates, I was forced to leave LHR through immigration and walk back in the main entrance.

The BA attendant at JFK seemed annoyed that I wouldn't fly all the way with his airline and it seemed like he was punishing me (for trying to save a few bucks or whatever), but what he didn't know is that I added the LHR/JFK roundtrip leg last minute.

Then the kiosk check in was a bit of a challenge compared to the norm.

Meanwhile I once flew in one day from Auckland to Melbourne to Singapore to Bangkok all different airlines and made it all the way to Singapore without having to worry about luggage. Wasn't an issue at all in Auckland.

-----

I've always liked Atlanta-Hartsfield.....many good memories flying in and out on business. Huge af but didn't seem to bother me.

Probably the best airport car rental place in the US.

Did anyone read about the conspiracy regarding this blackout? Apparently a plane left at 630 that same night and headed to Belgium, where they own the terminal. The airport said that no planes left until the following day but some online detectives found out some Israeli owned plane was the only plane to head out the day of the blackout.

I live in Atlanta, and I use Hartsfield regularly. It is hands down one of the easiest airports to work with and navigate. Its layout makes it very easy to navigate, with all terminals connected by the same trains, it almost resembles the starting lights at a drag strip. Alongside the trains is the tunnel which you can walk if you like. The whole airport is currently undergoing a huge renovation. Word on the street is that rats chewed through wiring causing the fire.

As for the airport being owned by the city, that is true. That does the airport zero favors. That said, problems for me there have been rare. It is the busiest airport in the world, so you have to expect more issues there than most simply due to volume.