Drove the Mclaren 720S !

Allan-Herbie

I drove one Saturday and liked it, but I still prefer the perf over the 720. maybe when the they release a LT version it will be game over for me.. we will see.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've had my 720S for a couple of weeks and I absolutely love it. I'd drive it over my Huracan any day. I think I even enjoy it more than the Chiron. Admittedly, the car is so smooth, fast, and telepathic that it does lack a certain amount of drama, but then again it is so quick and powerful that you really have to pay attention. The 675LT had more of a raw edge than the 720S, but the 720S is quicker and more refined, and more comfortable.

And beauty is of course, in the eye of the beholder, and I think certain cars just look better in certain colors. I got mine in Burton Blue and I can't stop looking at it.

Wow. Serious comment from a serious car collector.

best overall exotic out right now, incredible power, speed, traction control, active aero, trackability, light weight, launch mode, visibility, space, storage, comfort, looks, doors up, wow factor, price point, rarity...

the only real ding it gets from me is the exhaust sound, but I really can't think of many factory turbocharged cars that sound amazing either...

it will take years for Lambo/Ferrari to match it's power/acceleration...

best overall exotic out right now, incredible power, speed, traction control, active aero, trackability, light weight, launch mode, visibility, space, storage, comfort, looks, doors up, wow factor, price point, rarity...

the only real ding it gets from me is the exhaust sound, but I really can't think of many factory turbocharged cars that sound amazing either...

Would you say the exhaust note of the oem sport exhaust is worth the upgrade? Hard to tell from that video you made comparing them. In the video they sound almost identical...

My C63s is turbocharged and sounds incredible for a turbocharged car, I really want to swap it for the new RS4 but the only thing which holds me back is the sound LOL the C sounds so much better.

I've had my 720S for a couple of weeks and I absolutely love it. I'd drive it over my Huracan any day. I think I even enjoy it more than the Chiron. Admittedly, the car is so smooth, fast, and telepathic that it does lack a certain amount of drama, but then again it is so quick and powerful that you really have to pay attention. The 675LT had more of a raw edge than the 720S, but the 720S is quicker and more refined, and more comfortable.

And beauty is of course, in the eye of the beholder, and I think certain cars just look better in certain colors. I got mine in Burton Blue and I can't stop looking at it.

Wow now I have to test drive one.

My C63s is turbocharged and sounds incredible for a turbocharged car, I really want to swap it for the new RS4 but the only thing which holds me back is the sound LOL the C sounds so much better.

That’s a good point, AMG figured out turbo sound by 2014. They do sound great.

Factory or aftermarket? I only drove once a GTR long time ago and I can't really remember it.

GTRs have a distinct sound. Not exotic if you ask me but not horrible. It’s a low rpm sound. You have to add lots of rpms and external wastegates to sound good.

GTRs have a distinct sound. Not exotic if you ask me but not horrible. It’s a low rpm sound. You have to add lots of rpms and external wastegates to sound good.

Thank you for that, I will check one out, I lost interest in them after the R34, I had all the others before, R32 and R34 being my favorite.

Mine has 1500 hp at motor

That's crazy, I bet it sounds good LOL

I assume it will only be a matter of time before AWE Tuning comes with an exhaust for the 720, I had their system on my 12C and it sounded much better (although still not crazy loud, but you could hear the turbos whistle and it was a lot louder than stock).

All Mclaren has to do in order to up the experience of the 720S is lose about 50 pounds worth of sound deadening and tune the engine to blow off hard like the P1. I’m sure they left this in the bag for the LT version and wanted the base car to be everyday usable. I’m also sure the LT version will be Chiron quick. 800+ HP,

Thank you for that, I will check one out, I lost interest in them after the R34, I had all the others before, R32 and R34 being my favorite.

That's crazy, I bet it sounds good LOL

it sounds angry

That’s a good point, AMG figured out turbo sound by 2014. They do sound great.

same with my amg all stock and sounds like an animal! also I had full awe exhaust on my 12c and 650 and it sounded good.

720 is a great car, but I still think the perf edges it out IMO (better sound, better overall feel, belter looking, and hopefully better resale)

when the track version comes out it could be game over for the perf.. time will tell!

All Mclaren has to do in order to up the experience of the 720S is lose about 50 pounds worth of sound deadening and tune the engine to blow off hard like the P1. I’m sure they left this in the bag for the LT version and wanted the base car to be everyday usable. I’m also sure the LT version will be Chiron quick. 800+ HP, <3000 pounds, tire tech from the future (it’s progressing as quickly as these cars)

Considering Fikse's 720 made 691 hp at the wheels, looks like the 720 is already at 800+ hp at the crank ...

yes for sure, revving doesn't bring out the sound of the sport exhaust, driving around and on power there is a big difference, I heard the normal exhaust isn't even avail anymore on the 720S....

Would you say the exhaust note of the oem sport exhaust is worth the upgrade? Hard to tell from that video you made comparing them. In the video they sound almost identical...

Some people will love different exhaust noises and others wont. I’m a big fan of bypassed mufflers with controlled flaps. Best of both worlds for cars that are driven a lot. For pure weekend cars, put straight pipes on a twin turbo car and enjoy the whistling.

I questioned all of the McLaren cars looks at first when seeing images. The newer models you must see in person to truly appreciate the lines. Once you see it in person then you will love the lines of the car. Their is a true function to the lines. I honestly looked for months driving every car out there and ended up with the 570s. I am sorry but their is nothing that touches this car for performance and looks for the money (not to mention a 3 year warranty/unlimited miles). I have owned five Lambos and trust me it was very hard to leave the brand. But, again, nothing came close to the overall feel of the car. And, turn the traction off and this car is a beast of car car to throw around. The 720 grows on you more and more every time you see it. Each time you see it you can appreciate the lines more and more. I love every part of the car.

As for McLaren motor sound/exhaust note...all you need is to add an aftermarket exhaust. I did a Velocity exhaust and the car sounds just like a UGR tt or Heffner tt lambo. I love the turbo spooling. And for loud it is plenty loud and shoots flames...for me perfect and for others may be too loud. coming from a LP640 with a straight exhaust and no cats I honestly can say I like this sound better because of the turbos spooling. I have gotten a ton of compliments with many saying the best car they have ever heard.

Below is a video of my 570s - cold start...30 seconds in the car idles down and can hear the turbos at idle. Not the best video/sound quality but you get the idea of what the car would sound in person.

The next video is by iPhone and is not the best quality but you can hear the car. Racing 1/2 from a dig against a new Viper with 580 whp. A fun race!