• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys would be proud, look what I’ve done :icon_mrgreen:

post-7524-1515813037_thumb.jpg

Edit:

Adding photos worked!! :eusa_dance:

Very proud of you!!

Nice counter top as well, great stone!

So basically you guys are telling me I need to design and make an InstaSteak. Patent pending, give me a bit. :icon_mrgreen:

Step 1: Buy a decent steak, whatever cut you prefer. Get choice or above and look for decent marbling. Thicker cuts retain moisture better and will have a better sear.

Step 2: Get the steak out of the fridge a few hours in advance so it gets close to room temp. Rub with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Add spices or garlic if desired. You should also think about heating up plates and serving platters. Microwave, warming drawer, or oven works. You do no want to throw steak on a cold platter straight off the grill or serve on an ice cold plate.

Step 3: Whether using charcoal, wood, or gas you will want HIGH heat. Think 800°F+. Be generous with charcoal or turn the gas grill on high to preheat. Once the wood or charcoal is ready (no black left on the charcoal) spread it out in an even layer. You want more area to grill than the steaks will take up. More on that below.

Step 4: When the grill is ready and the grates are clean and hot brush them with olive oil or grapeseed oil to prevent sticking. This should be done seconds before putting the steaks on. A long pair of tongs to hold a folded up paper towel and a small bowl of oil works well. Any non stick sprays should be avoided. They burn with an acrid odor and leave a sticky residue.

Step 5: Put the steaks on. Leave even spacing between. If they are fatty steaks such as ribeyes they will start to flare up pretty quick. Keep the lid shut as much as possible to help control this. If you aren't comfortable using touch to determine doneness put a temp probe in a steak now or ahead of time.

Step 6: Leave the steak alone as much as you can. If desired rotate the steak 90 degrees after two minutes for cross hatching. At a high temp it will only take a few minutes until it is ready to turn over. If using a thermometer flip at 95°F. If going by touch peak at the bottom and turn when the sear looks good. If the fat is causing flare ups move the steak to a different spot on the grill if you don't want extra char. If the grill is full just roll with it and keep it covered as much as possible.

Step 7: When the steak is at 120°F take it off if you like rare ,125° for med rare, 130° for medium, and if you like it more done than that go slap yourself, throw the steak away, and quit reading. Keep in mind these are lower temps than is normally recommended. That is because at a high temp the steak will carry over at least 10° more. They will cook fast, so stay vigilant and avoid walking away to do anything else. Total cook time will only be 5 to 10 minutes depending on thickness on a hot grill.

Step 8: Let the steak rest for 5 to 10 minutes. Do not cut them and leave the probe in if there is one. This is a good time to finish up everything else for the meal, but don't take too long or the steak will be cold. Some people tent with foil, I leave them uncovered so they don't steam and lose moisture.

Step 9: Eat the steak. This is the easy part.

If you can find it try this steak sauce. Perfect blend of salt , sweet, and umami. Only takes a tiny bit.

post-145816-1515946037.jpg

So basically you guys are telling me I need to design and make an InstaSteak. Patent pending, give me a bit. :icon_mrgreen:

Step 1: Buy a decent steak, whatever cut you prefer. Get choice or above and look for decent marbling. Thicker cuts retain moisture better and will have a better sear.

Step 2: Get the steak out of the fridge a few hours in advance so it gets close to room temp. Rub with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Add spices or garlic if desired. You should also think about heating up plates and serving platters. Microwave, warming drawer, or oven works. You do no want to throw steak on a cold platter straight off the grill or serve on an ice cold plate.

Step 3: Whether using charcoal, wood, or gas you will want HIGH heat. Think 800°F+. Be generous with charcoal or turn the gas grill on high to preheat. Once the wood or charcoal is ready (no black left on the charcoal) spread it out in an even layer. You want more area to grill than the steaks will take up. More on that below.

Step 4: When the grill is ready and the grates are clean and hot brush them with olive oil or grapeseed oil to prevent sticking. This should be done seconds before putting the steaks on. A long pair of tongs to hold a folded up paper towel and a small bowl of oil works well. Any non stick sprays should be avoided. They burn with an acrid odor and leave a sticky residue.

Step 5: Put the steaks on. Leave even spacing between. If they are fatty steaks such as ribeyes they will start to flare up pretty quick. Keep the lid shut as much as possible to help control this. If you aren't comfortable using touch to determine doneness put a temp probe in a steak now or ahead of time.

Step 6: Leave the steak alone as much as you can. If desired rotate the steak 90 degrees after two minutes for cross hatching. At a high temp it will only take a few minutes until it is ready to turn over. If using a thermometer flip at 95°F. If going by touch peak at the bottom and turn when the sear looks good. If the fat is causing flare ups move the steak to a different spot on the grill if you don't want extra char. If the grill is full just roll with it and keep it covered as much as possible.

Step 7: When the steak is at 120°F take it off if you like rare ,125° for med rare, 130° for medium, and if you like it more done than that go slap yourself, throw the steak away, and quit reading. Keep in mind these are lower temps than is normally recommended. That is because at a high temp the steak will carry over at least 10° more. They will cook fast, so stay vigilant and avoid walking away to do anything else. Total cook time will only be 5 to 10 minutes depending on thickness on a hot grill.

Step 8: Let the steak rest for 5 to 10 minutes. Do not cut them and leave the probe in if there is one. This is a good time to finish up everything else for the meal, but don't take too long or the steak will be cold. Some people tent with foil, I leave them uncovered so they don't steam and lose moisture.

Step 9: Eat the steak. This is the easy part.

If you can find it try this steak sauce. Perfect blend of salt , sweet, and umami. Only takes a tiny bit.

post-145816-1515946037.jpg

excellent information! Now I need to go get some more steaks! haha

• 9 months later...

Reviving an old thread - glad it wasn’t lost in the transition.

Yet another example of how LP has changed my life ;)

Bought an air fryer and InstantPot at Costco last week (my initial thoughts that Instant Pot had something to do with cannabis were of course not realized).

I’ve made a whole chicken in the air fryer.  Crispy on the outside (but we toss the skin anyway) and juicy inside.  Took just under an hour for a 4# chicken.  Faster than conventional.  Cleanup is easy so far - the non-stick coating rocks.

The main reason I bought the air fryer is to make cauliflower sriracha “wings”.  A fave restaurant has them and I love ‘em but prefer not to eat (conventionally) fried food.  Found a recipe for a batter.  Cauliflower pieces came out crispy and browned yet soft in middle. Made sauce of sriracha and honey and a tiny bit of butter.  Wow.  So delicious and way better than restaurant version which lose crispness and start to get soggy by the time they are served.  If I use the air fryer for nothing else - it’s worth it.  A keeper.

Will review InstantPot after a few meals.  Over the years I’ve wished I had a crockpot but shopping for one was overwhelming.  Too many choices.  Too many mixed reviews.  Too much hassle.  Between the comments on LP and a unit at Costco (I trust their vetting system) I figured I have nothing to lose as I can always return it.

I like that it will sauté and pressure cook in addition to slow cook.  I had a crockpot years ago (wedding gift) but it was early technology and didn’t have removable vessel so it was a major pain to clean.  It sat unused and eventually we got rid of it.  The InstantPot is much more versatile and looks like it’ll be easy to clean the cooking vessel.  

More to follow once I’ve given it the true test...

On 1/14/2018 at 2:00 PM, megachad said:

It's made by Gyu Kaku , a restaurant chain. Available here Yummy Bazaar and on Amazon.   It is a great sauce.

On 10/31/2018 at 5:05 AM, gutshot said:

It's made by Gyu Kaku , a restaurant chain. Available here Yummy Bazaar and on Amazon.   It is a great sauce.

AWESOME!

We finally picked up an air fryer. Love it! Actually made fillet's in it the other day. They turned out pretty damn well. I still prefer the grill, but it wasn't a bad alternative. 

• 5 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How do we even find all of the old stuff. !?!?

I do wonder about Fortis' house from time to time, and those roller on the sliding roof.

Did I miss the announcement to the changes here?!? I've not been able to work it all out for a couple of years...