FORTIS WANTS A BETTER THREAD

megachad

I was going to ask about the airfryer. How is the food? Does it taste fried?

Its crispy, but is not oily obviously. Its better than baking fries or onion rings(or the similar) at home. But out some where I'll still go for a fried option(the only option).

What brand air fryer?

I was told Nu Wave, and went that route. Seems fine.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest in the last 12 months as a guide I don't think I've cooked anything :(

Fried few eggs and opened few cans of tuna when nobody's home, toasted some bread, I wouldn't call that cooking LOL

Then you have cooked more than I have. I don't even cook on the grill. My wife cooks everything.

I do like to eat though.

Toaster over. OMFG. Ok, this thread is too much. You guys are amazing. Toaster ovens are the shit. Instapot + toaster oven is really all you need to cook anything.

Just got back from the gym and have some chicken drumsticks cooking in mine. My mouth is watering at the thought!

When you take your toasting game really fcuking seriously. :icon_super:

To be fair it's essentially an oven you can cook 12" pizzas in, up to I think a 14lb bird, etc. But it's bad ass at warming up leftovers too. :icon_mrgreen:

20180111_172403.jpg

ok my wife already has this one, she says is the same thing.

https://www.myer.com.au/shop/mystore/260573...AiABEgLRCvD_BwE

The actual instantpot brand is a great value..i thought it was instapot. i guess it is instantpot.. hahaha..

https://www.target.com/p/instant-pot-duo-80...mp;gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-Programm...ywords=instapot

To be fair it's essentially an oven you can cook 12" pizzas in, up to I think a 14lb bird, etc. But it's bad ass at warming up leftovers too. :icon_mrgreen:

post-22556-1515770789_thumb.jpg

that would be nice.

To be honest in the last 12 months as a guide I don't think I've cooked anything :(

Fried few eggs and opened few cans of tuna when nobody's home, toasted some bread, I wouldn't call that cooking LOL

I lived on tuna fish and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches growing up.. I'm a master at those. :icon_mrgreen:

that would be nice.

No joke it seriously cuts down using the big ovens for daily b/s. On sale @ williams sonoma for $550 currently. :icon_thumleft:

Ended up returning it and bought the Wolf toaster oven, that thing is a damn beast! Haven't touched the microwave in months since we got it.
Now THAT's something I can get on board with! Been thinking about a smaller oven. We have two built-in ovens and it's a waste of energy and time to heat it up for the (usually) small amounts I cook.

We are in a rental at the moment with convection oven. (Thermador). So far not overly impressed. It does brown nicely (like if roasting a pan of veggies), but it takes FOREVER to preheat on convection setting

:lol2: You can tell instantly who's married and who isn't based on this thread. Love it :lol2:
LOL

I'm married and I cook almost every night. How did I not know about this? :eusa_wall:

Lol. We have two instapots. One regular and now a mini.
What brand is the mini? Might be perfect for the two of us. I keep seeing Instant Pot

Does anyone have a thermomix? How do you like it? Do you use it often?

Never heard of this either. Went to their web site. OMG. Sounds like InstantPot on steroids. Kind of complicated:

From their web site:

This ‘compact kitchen’ performs the task of twelve appliances in one by mixing, steaming, blending, weighing, stirring, grinding, whipping, emulsifying, heating, kneading, cooking and chopping.

Thermomix ® effortlessly combines the functions of a mincer, a grater, a dough maker, a juicer, a whisk, a blender, a mill, a pestle and mortar, an ice cream/sorbet maker, a mixer, an ice pick, a food processor and a coffee and spice grinder.

With Thermomix ®, food preparation is effortless.

Dish up deliciously delicate sauces, soups and stews. Create temptingly tasty jams, chutneys and preserves. Produce perfect purées, pastes and pâtés. Prepare fish, meat and vegetables to perfection.

I was told Nu Wave, and went that route. Seems fine.
Some friends have a Nu Wave and have been raving about it for a year.

Looks like I've got some homework

Now THAT's something I can get on board with! Been thinking about a smaller oven. We have two built-in ovens and it's a waste of energy and time to heat it up for the (usually) small amounts I cook.

We are in a rental at the moment with convection oven. (Thermador). So far not overly impressed. It does brown nicely (like if roasting a pan of veggies), but it takes FOREVER to preheat on convection setting

Look into it, it's got all the features of their full size ovens with the ability to broil/toast very quickly and it's built like a tank. Damn thing even has a meat temp probe if you stick a roast or bird in it. For just my wife and I it seriously does 95% of the oven duty. Short of needing square footage for cookie sheets or holiday cooking big ovens are pretty much storage space now.

When you spec your own appliances talk to the local rep (I assume you'll be buying the good stuff). They should setup a demo for you to see/use the various brands you like, most likely with a pro chef onsite.

I've heard lots of complaints with Thermador, IMO it wouldn't be one I consider buying. Wolf is always awesome and not a ton more $$$. If you want to spec it out with an options book that makes Porsche blush look at Bluestar. Very nice stuff that you can configure in a ton of different ways, order custom painted in a gazillion colors, just top quality gear. If I could swing the $$ I'd absolutely put a 48" candy apple red range in my kitchen. :eusa_dance:

I’m enjoying all this appliance discussion waaaaay more than I should be, jus sayin’

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Now for the real question...What appliance is best for Avocados???

post-22556-1515770789_thumb.jpg

You can cook a frozen 12" pizza in that thing? I'm fcuking sold.

We owned Viking for a long time and its amazing how much you learn about that kind of stuff over the years.

You can cook a frozen 12" pizza in that thing? I'm fcuking sold.

Hell yeah, all the DiGiorno you can handle! Seriously just get one, it's the best purchase i've made in a long time.

I bought a George Foreman 30+ years ago. I know this because the first Mrs Sidious was about then and I remember her nagging until I caved in and bought it.

It's still in the box unopened.

Based on this any further kitchen appliances would outlive me. So no more fancy fandangles for me.

Whilst on the topic of kitchen appliances. About 10 years ago I came across an ice cream maker at the back of a kitchen cupboard. I know what I'll do I said to myself - i'll put this in the attic. So up in the attic I went and low and behold whilst up there came across not one but TWO further ice cream makers.

My question is this. What sort of sick bastard would go to all the trouble of breaking in to my house, make his way in to the attic, and leave TWO ice cream makers there for the sole purpose of deliberately fcuking with my mind?

I bought a George Foreman 30+ years ago. I know this because the first Mrs Sidious was about then and I remember her nagging until I caved in and bought it.

It's still in the box unopened.

I love me a foreman.

I'm sorry but i just can't help but crack up every time I open this thread.

Does anyone have one of those Samsung refrigerators with the screen on the front?

I'm sorry but i just can't help but crack up every time I open this thread.

Does anyone have one of those Samsung refrigerators with the screen on the front?

We owned Viking for a long time and its amazing how much you learn about that kind of stuff over the years.

We put a full Viking kitchen in our old house. Looked good, great for resale, utter shit. The grill top was the only thing that didn't have multiple failures. You can't use the self-cleaning mode on the top (Double) oven because it will literally cook the $1,200 control panel, the repairman told me this when he was fixing our fridge. Trash compactor sounded like it was trying to crush a car. Our Viking toaster was recalled!

We had a Viking dishwasher at our new house, home warranty company replaced it when it failed.

Hell yeah, all the DiGiorno you can handle! Seriously just get one, it's the best purchase i've made in a long time.

Hell yeah X2. Trader Joe's frozen pizza FTW.

CLASSIC lol

What's the verdict on wolf ovens and gas cooktops? I'm probably redoing my kitchen sometime this year. Is it all branding or are they actually good?

What's the verdict on wolf ovens and gas cooktops? I'm probably redoing my kitchen sometime this year. Is it all branding or are they actually good?

They were a family owned company doing nothing but commercial grade stuff. Bought by Sub-Zero a while back and were marketed to consumers, though I don't know that any components were really downgraded in the process.

I've used them in the past and the thing I really noticed was that even though the big burners can put out an insane amount of heat, you can turn them down very low and it's easy to control. I've used Vikings and they really lack the control at low heat.

I haven't lived with any of them personally for years so I don't have a lot of long term experience, but based on Kinsella I sure wouldn't be buying a Viking.

Like I mentioned to Cake, if you want to do something really custom Bluestar is bad ass. Otherwise I gravitate toward the red knobs (Wolf). When I redo my kitchen it will absolutely have a Wolf rangetop and a vent hood that will suck a hat off your head.

We changed a few things when we bought our house in 2000 including installing a 5 burner thermador gas cooktop.

It has great control at low heat. Some of the burners have a low intermittent setting where the flame cycles on/off. But the big BTU center burner only works correctly when it’s cold outside. It was good maybe the first few years and then it started to fail to ignite. It clicks continuously and you can smell gas but it doesn’t ignite. And when it eventually works - the spark continues to click. Hubby replaced components but it just failed again. Since there are 4 burners that work great it’s not a problem - but I would avoid thermador in the future.

I’ll definitely look into Wolf and Bluestar. And one of those little ovens is in my future!