Let’s Talk Social Media

Destructo

I have found myself using social media less and less, a more quality over quantity i suppose you could say. That being said, anyone else find themselves in a similar boat? And if so which ones are you using?

Facebook sucks, just by and large is a cesspool of negativity and petty bullshit. It’s got some stuff, but i only check it once a week, maybe less.

Instagram is fine, i check that a couple times a day, but too much of the “Faux Rich” lifestyle and B-rated motivational fodder to sort through unfortunately. Any suggestions on some good accounts you follow is always appreciated.

Just some thoughts to see where others are at on the subject.

I think social media is dangerous.

I love twitter though. But I try not to check it too much and only follow a handful of good accounts.

Pretty much sums up my view, too lazy to type :D and Chamath is much better at rationalizing than I am :D

Personally I like SnapChat, it allows me to see what my friends are up to in real time. I get to see places I've not seen, see how people I know actually live their lives, keep track of live events, share my daily life with them. Instagram has something similar with Stories, but it doesn't have all the flexibility of SC. But tbph, if you're looking for entertainment, and it sounds like you are by the nature of your question, social media ain't it. It's a powerful tool for people who already know each other, or for people with a narrow-focus common interest who want to meet other like-minds. And of course, for egomaniacs who want people to worship them. :D

My take is social media is what you make of it. I use FaceBook and Instagram, but I only follow people that motivate, inspire, or make me think.

For Facebook I don't follow a majority of my friends (especially after this last election) because 90% of of people just spew negative garbage while patting themselves on the back because they are "enacting real change." :jackoff: It's messenger app is great for talking with friends all over and it can be a nice way o see some fun stuff friends have been up to.

I like instagram because I can see some cool car pics and pics of cool places or art. I don't follow personalities really, more pages dedicated to just showing the content. A lot of LP folks have some fun accounts. I use my Instagram to show pics of fun things, be it driving fast cars, hanging with hot girls or seeing cool things so I can keep my friends entertained.

But I always seek out people or pages on social media that add positive value to my life, not people filling the air with noise.

I hate Facebook I have an account because I had to have one in order to keep in touch with the group during my last Euro drive trip (I had the time of my life), to be perfectly honest I don’t really know how to use it, my sister came over to set up all of the privacy settings on it etc. I don’t want to delete it because I will be joing the group again, they go once or twice a year and I want to be kept up to speed with what’s going on with them, if it wasn’t for that reason I’d delete it in a second.

I really like Instagram, very easy to make it very private, lots of LP guys are very active on Instagram, easy to send messages, I LOVE to look at car photos, cars overload haha, I follow some architecture accounts, great photos and information, not into “look at me show off accounts” I have no issues with anyone who wants to flaunt it but looking at the same car in a million different locations from a million different angles becomes quite annoying after a while.

Also I’ve found out that some people buy followers, that takes the cake for me LOL 😂, how insecure do you have to be in order to do such thing? That’s got to be some sort of a mental disorder, sure it can’t be right. Unbelievable.

Forums are slowly dying IMO, maybe because many migrated to other social media platforms which have a more streamlined way of interacting, messaging, instantaneously adding photos and other kind of media, I think that’s the biggest attraction of these social media apps, easy of use.

Tried 6 times today to post photos on LP, resized them, etc etc. wasted 15 minutes in the end I gave up, same photos would be uploaded to Instagram in few seconds.

The only thing I feel bad about is the fact that I don’t contribute much, I make use of others work but personally I don’t add anything of any significance and I consider that quite unfair, anyway it is what it is I guess.

I have FB but use it very little. Mostly for some car groups or occasionally to see what life changing events are going on with friends. Dont use anything else really. No Twitter or Instagram

Facebook is a cesspool as many mentioned. The losers of the world sadly have used it to voice their depraved opinions, and find encouragement from other losers who share the same opinions that would have been kept quiet out of embarrassment in their parents basement years ago. I feel facebook has done more harm to society then we can even acknowledge. I still scroll through to see some news and what some people are up to, but I don't post much. And I try and not feed the trolls. hah

Love instagram, perfect way to see pics of cars all over the world. Pretty much all I follow there. I hate twitter, got really tired of reading peoples random thoughts throughout the day. and that's pretty much all I have to say about that.

Facebook mostly to follow news outlets and some same area industries as the ones I'm in, it is the first thing I check every morning to have a summary of the daily news and what's happening in my area of work, after I'll look into some sites in more detail, instagram 100% cars, and checked several times a day ...

Up until this past summer the only social media I used daily was Facebook. On a whim, I decided to give Instagram a try, as I had heard about it for years but had never once been on it.

So I opened an account, began uploading some pics and adding people I knew, and before I knew it I was getting follow requests left and right, from people I didn't even know (mostly car and business related stuff, so I had assumed it was just people with similar interests and accepted most of them).

Mentioning to a friend that while I didn't mind the followers, I had no idea where these people were coming from, he explained to me the concept of the immediate "unfollow", and suggested I download an app called "unfollow" on my phone. So I did.

Basically, these dumbasses out there that are trying to grow a following on social media (while keeping the image that they only follow a FRACTION of the amount of people that follow them), will basically follow every name they can. They will then wait 24-48 hours (giving you a chance to return the follow to them), and then immediately unfollow you (which, without an app like the one I mentioned above, you would have no idea of). That is why you see some new accounts with only a month worth of mediocre content with 25k followers, but who are only following 300 people.

Finding this absurd, I checked the app and confirmed, he was right. 90% of the follow requests I was getting from strangers were doing just that, and within a day or 2 of the request, I was getting a notification on the app that they had now "unfollowed" me.

Like Fortis said, the insane obsession regarding followers has to be some kind of mental disorder, LOL.

I still browse Instagram a few times a week, but Facebook is the only one I check regularly.

Facebook i deleted on all mobile devices, i only really look at pics and if the people moved to instagram i would delete it totally

Instagram i like because it is mostly positive and can be good for ideas and is actually interesting

Twitter i use for business but never post anything it is very good for up to date industry news, for personal accounts though it just random drivel of very odd people

Ain’t gonna catch me on any of that shit. Ever

Couple old school message boards is more than enough

Best

Eric

I thought I was the only 1 left on the planet that didn't have an FB, SC or IG.

This (LP) is my most visited online personal enjoyment site.

I use meetup for my 2 car clubs, but its more of an activity driven website for clubs and groups.

I have FB, IG, Snapchat & twitter and use them all with varying frequency. I prefer IG. I only follow/people I personally know and keep things pretty private otherwise.

I agree with Fortis, Forums are a dying breed, unfortunately. Once Internet Brands started buying them all and using them as marketing machines, it was the final nail in the coffin. That's why I still like, LP. Privately owned and low tolerance to BS.

at the end of the day, if you've found a way to monetize your time on social media... why not. if not, you should be try to be disciplined about how much time you spend across any platform. i agree that each platform seems to be more advantageous for certain activities than others.

FB is quickly becoming stale for me. But because of the actually 2-way connections (meaning a request is sent, and approved other side - not just a one way "following"), i have the most social-media-real-relationships there. I primarily use it because of the MESSAGING connections. FB messenger really replaces AIM (RIP AIM btw), and is almost used as much as text messages for me.

I enjoy IG, personally. And that's about where things flatline. I spend VERY little time or at all doing anything on SnapChat (although my kids made an account for me so they can show me some of their goofy filters and stuff), etc.

I follow a lot of the LP guys on IG, many of us keep in touch by chatting anyway, FB holds no interest for me, it's a giant conglomeration of uninformed and opinionated people that are annoying.

I have actually made some pretty good friends on social media.

Facebook I un followed almost everyones posts.. So i am still friends with them, but i don't see all their posts in my feed. Social media is good for my business so it helps. I like to post things that I think my kids and grandkids would want to see one day. I try to stay away from anything too vulgar, but sometimes I still do.

Instagram.. I am beside myself how many young women are so insecure they have to post picture after picture after picture of themselves half naked to get attention.. These poor girls have no idea how to really work.. I think most of them don't even know how to learn anything anymore. It's all about what they can get from other people.. And they get it.. It's like feeding ducks at a local pond.. don't even know how to find food for themselves. I am curious to see how this plays out.. When all these young women are older and replaced by younger women.. What is that un employment line going to look like..

I am doing everything in my power to not let my daughter go down that road.. She will pull weeds, she will play outside in the dirt, she will learn how to drive a fcuking manual transmission, and she won't have social media for as long as I can help it.

I follow a lot of the LP guys on IG, many of us keep in touch by chatting anyway, FB holds no interest for me, it's a giant conglomeration of uninformed and opinionated people that are annoying.

I call them know nothing know it all's.

I have found myself using social media less and less, a more quality over quantity i suppose you could say. That being said, anyone else find themselves in a similar boat? And if so which ones are you using?

Facebook sucks, just by and large is a cesspool of negativity and petty bullshit. It’s got some stuff, but i only check it once a week, maybe less.

Instagram is fine, i check that a couple times a day, but too much of the “Faux Rich” lifestyle and B-rated motivational fodder to sort through unfortunately. Any suggestions on some good accounts you follow is always appreciated.

Just some thoughts to see where others are at on the subject.

I am most negative person of my facebook who tries to stirr political and other shit up, so it does not matter me but I am propably a real burden to my friends there.

On instagram I just post another side of the coin, showing the polished and material side, showing aesthetics only and absolutely no humanity.

That can very well be interpreted as faux rich, so once again I am more burden to others than them to me. :D

As long as few LP friends like my very stupid goofy stuff on both I am golden. Like the North Korea Ski or Die themed Winter olympic memevideo from last night. :jester:

Instagram.. I am beside myself how many young women are so insecure they have to post picture after picture after picture of themselves half naked to get attention.. These poor girls have no idea how to really work.. I think most of them don't even know how to learn anything anymore. It's all about what they can get from other people.. And they get it.. It's like feeding ducks at a local pond.. don't even know how to find food for themselves. I am curious to see how this plays out.. When all these young women are older and replaced by younger women.. What is that un employment line going to look like..

Spot on, although "half naked" is a bit mild term when -put it rude- most of these IG-whores would consider wearing a tampon as too much clothes.

This is the story of a girls in general that has been going on since the beginning of time. How many times on a night out do you see girls in super tight dresses (god bless them for it) trying to get attention? Guys and girls approach life differently and it's not a good or bad thing, it's just the nature of the game. From an evolutionary perspective, girls look to attract a mate when they are at their peak (in looks, fertility and ability to foster multiple options). Social Media is another avenue to get the most coveted currency of all: attention and social validation. Girls get to enjoy a quick rocket to the top but where they have to manage it wiseley for the long haul. Guys have a much longer and harder road to get up the social rungs (with only a few exceptions) and so this experience helps us value the long haul. These are complimentary strategies as evidenced by how a vast majority of women are attracted to or will seek out men older. To sum it up, it's like women win the lotto and men climb the corporate ladder. There's nothing wrong with either, both have different strategies at play that they utilize for their own benefit.

Also, when I said:

But I always seek out people or pages on social media that add positive value to my life, not people filling the air with noise.

Translation: 90% of my social media time is spent on memes :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:

I only have Facebook and Instagram. Plenty for me and both are PRIVATE. I am not on FB or instagram often but do like the privacy option. We do push a little social media for business but for my business it really does not do much...Instagram for business is ATACSOL and Paradise Greens.

Facebook for business is:

Paradise Greens

Armageddon Tactical Solutions

ATACSOL Precision Rifles

Both of these we do not do much because most of our business is OGA/MIL/LE so we can not post any training on it. We do not do any civilian training unless just one-on-one for friends, etc.

Leveraging mainly Instagram, has been useful in getting bookings for my photography stuff, but aside from that it is all like has been said, faux-rich, the tea that is an mlm and makes you poop, and dreadful motivational shit.

Social media is public masturbation