Watch Winder Safe

sprite

How big of a winder/safe do you need? How about just buying a 9-watch winder or two and put them inside a moderate-size safe. Likely cost a lot less and just as good unless you want the perfect good looks. And those winders don't use much power, a pair of D-size batteries can power them for months.

How big of a winder/safe do you need? How about just buying a 9-watch winder or two and put them inside a moderate-size safe. Likely cost a lot less and just as good unless you want the perfect good looks. And those winders don't use much power, a pair of D-size batteries can power them for months.

That might actually be a good option. I don't need a huge safe, mostly for watches, cash and documents.

I have a couple of vintage Omegas that I think would do better on a winder, but I'm hesitant to cause additional wear. Is the consensus that the controlled / programmed motion of the movement is preferable to letting them sit for a month or two?

I have a modern seamaster that would be handy to keep running to avoid constantly setting the date / time.

Not trying to thread jack, but I figured you folks would be the right audience to ask.

How big are you thinking? Any special requirements by the insurance company to cover the contents? (TL30?)

I have one of these at home for non-gun stuff. Don't have the drawer/file insert but overall the safe is awesome. This "little" one weighs more than most peoples full size gun safes. Biggest thing for me was the fire rating which this kicks ass at.

http://www.amsecusa.com/product/bf3416/

Im a big fan of the whole AmSec BF series including the full size gun safes. A great middle ground very well built safe with awesome fire protection when you dont need a 3200lb TL30 safe.

The high end Fort Knox and Liberty are also very good without going nuts.

Graffunder is bad ass and still in the "reasonable" price range. Their "office" safe similar to my amsec runs 1200-1900lbs.

Be careful with any document safe, ala Sentry safe. The Sentry fire safe I had removed the blue moon phase ink from a very expensive yeager lecultre watch I had. Moisture in the safe mixing with the air born fire resistive packing caused a chemical reaction that attacked the watch. By the time I realized the problem it was too late and it had to be sent back to Switzerland for repairs costing thousands. Make sure the safe is a watch/valuables approved safe.

Winders are expensive for good ones, winder safes are painfully expensive. Then to fill it oh boy that can get real expensive fast. I used to keep my Pateks on winders in a gun safe.