Best home automation systems

MHaynes772

Sooo long story short, I had a very advanced home automation system installed, it controlled the blinds to lower them up and down depending on the position of the sun, controlled the electric windows to open them in order to let out hot air and allow brezzes to flow (wired to temp sensors) everything was linked in, lights, pool, sprinkler system, alarm, cameras, front door, lots of other useless unnecessary features I’ve never used.

I am actually embarrassed to tell people how much I spent and so I won’t, I hated that house because of the automation system, it never worked properly, the tech was there so many times and for so long I was considering charging him rent.

Got this too, it does lower the blinds only if the outside temp is above something so in winter I keep the sun let in, etc... Works 100% of the time. Did it myself. Automation hardware + software cost me about $100 (not talking about the blinds themselves, but you can do it with $200 blinds)

DIY is definitely the way to go :eusa_dance:

Let's put a finer point on it, here's the ballpark costs for the main components of a C4 automation system...

$1500 - C4 main controller

$500 - C4 software license

$7250 - C4 video matrix

$350 - C4 balun (need one for each TV)

$2500 - C4 multichannel amplifier

$750 - C4 subcontroller (yeah you need like 2 or 3 of these spread around too)

$200 - C4 remote control (and you'll want, what, 4 or 5 of them right?)

$250 - C4 thermostats (today, just buy Ecobee or Nest and be done with it)

$700 - C4 garage door controllers and relays (today, just buy Liftmaster and use its own app)

$170 - C4 lightswitches (and you'll need, what, 50? 100?)

$300 - C4 wireless music bridge

$500 - C4 software update every couple of years when you want to upgrade your system

$2000 - labor to have a guy program it all

$1000 - racks and mounting for all your equipment

$400 - fans for your rack

So ballpark $30k minimum. Excluding costs of TVs, speakers, and cables for running everything back to the central controller.

I think today we have more options that don't require the centralized brain and video distribution, and devices are getting so small they can easily go behind the TV and eliminate the need for centralizing equipment.

LG 4k smart TVs have Netflix, Amazon and Hulu etc built in, and 4k AppleTVs are $200, put one behind each TV. etc.

Buy better lightswitches like Fortis mentioned that use sensors. Or get Lutron lightswitches with their own app for half the price and no need for a central controller to run it. Use Liftmaster's own app for garage door. Your alarm system will now have its own app, no need to run it through a central controller. Etc.

I have C4, I like how integrated my system is, and I'm techy enough to be able to keep it running. But, I'd spend the money differently today if I was doing it all over.

I was reading an article in CEPro magazine and they were saying how now Amazon is trying to hook up with big tract builders like Ryan homes and have the trades install their stuff. Already have the home with smart switches, the door bell, and thermostat, and amazon Alexa when its sold. They make an old work recessed bracket for the amazon dots, you can have them in every room in the ceiling. It's cheaper to just have the trades throw in that stuff when it's being built, and makes a nice extra for the builder. Also requires you to have cloud service and pay amazon monthly. Win win for all of them.

I was reading an article in CEPro magazine and they were saying how now Amazon is trying to hook up with big tract builders like Ryan homes and have the trades install their stuff. Already have the home with smart switches, the door bell, and thermostat, and amazon Alexa when its sold. They make an old work recessed bracket for the amazon dots, you can have them in every room in the ceiling. It's cheaper to just have the trades throw in that stuff when it's being built, and makes a nice extra for the builder. Also requires you to have cloud service and pay amazon monthly. Win win for all of them.

Amazon dots hidden in the ceiling recording your every conversation! The FBI's dream!

:eusa_shhh:

Call me paranoia but with cel phones and wi-fi, BT etc... we are already constantly being bombarded with EMF/RF. Living in a home so densely wired up is like living on the wrong side of a Faraday Cage. :icon_mrgreen:

Amazon dots hidden in the ceiling recording your every conversation! The FBI's dream!

:eusa_shhh:

Yeah I'm not a big fan of Alexa or google home, but my samsung TV says don't have sensitive conversations In front of it so I'm already SOL lol I wont buy another samsung. I dont like the advertisements they have at the bottom of the screen. Also every time I walk into a store google pops up on my phone and asks me for pictures and a review. There's no hope anymore!

Nothing freaked me out as much as when I went to the airport my bank sent me a message offering travel insurance :eusa_naughty:

We aren’t alone anymore, with a google home by my bed side I can not afford to not be under the blankets at all times :icon_mrgreen:

Automation is a complete waste of time and money, I will never do it again, I wouldn’t have it for free.

100% I am regretting every second of the 100k++ we've spent on our house. Technology advances way too fast to be putting permanent automation solutions into a residential home in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh the irony... My C4 controller went out two days ago, worked fine in the morning and didn't work when I came home from the office. I have to wait for a guy to come out and replace it or reset and reprogram it. Tried getting it fixed remotely and no dice.

That means no video or audio distribution or cleverly timed lighting scenes till it's fixed. Everything in the rack (Cable boxes, DVD players, AppleTV, FireTV, media distribution, whole home audio) is inaccessible. Only thing I can access is the Netflix app built into the TV and frankly I'm kind of sick of watching my wife's favorite show, The Crown.

Last night I was about one glass of wine away from tearing it all out. If I have to buy a new controller it'll be about $3,995 for the new model. C'est la vie. May have to consider a tech remodel! Now how much were those Fortis light switches...

Switches are cheap! Depends though, do you have cable behind each tv? Also, did they build the house with the smart switches? If they did you might be SOL because now they dont run romex, 120v wire for those who dont know, they run their own low volt wire back to the rack so now it would be impossible to add anything lol if you have any questions feel free to ask!

Oh the irony... My C4 controller went out two days ago, worked fine in the morning and didn't work when I came home from the office. I have to wait for a guy to come out and replace it or reset and reprogram it. Tried getting it fixed remotely and no dice.

That means no video or audio distribution or cleverly timed lighting scenes till it's fixed. Everything in the rack (Cable boxes, DVD players, AppleTV, FireTV, media distribution, whole home audio) is inaccessible. Only thing I can access is the Netflix app built into the TV and frankly I'm kind of sick of watching my wife's favorite show, The Crown.

Last night I was about one glass of wine away from tearing it all out. If I have to buy a new controller it'll be about $3,995 for the new model. C'est la vie. May have to consider a tech remodel! Now how much were those Fortis light switches...

:(

That sucks!

Sure its not just an update? Recently had to update the software on mine as they had a large release. Download the AMPLIFI app it will let you know if anything needs updated on your network. Sorry to hijack thread OP.