Thoughts on connected watches?

Rawr

Certainly some questions raise up after watching this video about why would a luxury brand provide smart watches (and what could they actually gain - besides more visibility to the brand) and do better than say apple. Are there any actually worthwhile luxury smart watches?

But overall, is it time to start looking at apple watches/etc, or are we still early to the party, with good apps still some time away?

I had the Iwatch. Hated how the screen was daork until I moved my arm. Sometimes would take a second or two to give me the time. The ones in the video looked really nice and there is some value to being able to change the display to a kick ass pertetual and then switch to a divers watch. But it is hard to justify spending big bucks on a watch that will be bad in 4-5 years. Show me some commitment that these watches can be fixed, battery switched out, new technology added then maybe I would consider it.

Certainly some questions raise up after watching this video about why would a luxury brand provide smart watches (and what could they actually gain - besides more visibility to the brand) and do better than say apple. Are there any actually worthwhile luxury smart watches?

But overall, is it time to start looking at apple watches/etc, or are we still early to the party, with good apps still some time away?

Im not into it. Breitling started a few years ago and i dont see it going anywhere in the high end realm. Technology is disposable regsrdless of the price point. I dont see people dropping $8k+ on a watch with connectivity that will be archaic in a few years.

I think it's 2 entirely different ball game altogether.

By all accounts, no one in a modern society should need to wear a wristwatch anymore. Cel phones has all the functions of a wristwatch and more. Even for those who prefers one, a Casio will offer more functions, tell more precise time, need almost zero maintenance and cost a lot less to replace. And yet high-end wristwatches continue to enjoy their market share. An iWatch and a Patek Philippe serve completely different purposes. Even for the iWatch, I don't see the point of having one if you already has an iPhone but that's just me. Until a connected watch can offer the same multi-purpose functions as a smart phone, I don't see the need other than the joy of owning the latest hi-tech gadget. And that's almost impossible within the near future due to the physical size and power source limitations.

Mainstream wristwatch manufacturers such a Breitling, Tissot, 0mega and Tag Heuer etc... would or have jumped on the bandwagon to expand their model range and to have a slice of the pie. But high-end esoteric manufacturers like PP, AP, VC etc... would not need to do so. Different clientele altogether. High-end watch owners may buy a smart watch just out of curiosity; but IMO I doubt the smart watch will replace any of the high-end pieces and the high-end manufacturers need not to react or adopt to the technology anytime soon.

As to whether to get a smart watch or not? Get it for the novelty, get it for kicks. Perhaps I'm old school but I don't see myself getting one anytime soon. The fact that they have to be charged up is enough for me to pass on them. Yes, manual wristwatch needs to be wound too but I can do it at anywhere and there's no need for a power source or a charger.

I got an Apple Watch as a gift, I used it few days then gave it to my daughter, it annoyed me, don’t know why but it did LOL my daughter loves wearing it.

I couldn’t see myself purchasing a high end smart watch, the whole point of a high end complicated watch is to see the mechanical artistry and intricacies of the old school watch manufacturing techniques.

The only benefit to an apple watch I have experienced is tracking my daily steps/goals/calories etc. Had a fit bit but that seemed even more pointless. Doesn't TAG have a smart watch that ties in Android?

I agree with the sentiment that a watch now is a nod to simpler times and craftsmanship. In my lifetime “good” watches have never been the best solution for keeping time, yet they have gained in desirability. Are we the last generation that will appreciate watches? Like our other mechanical treasures such as toy ICE cars, maybe.