Hawaii - how big, how bad ??

diabloking

Heading to Kauai in October for Honeymoon. Hopefully nothing crazy going on then

Of course it will, it’s your honeymoon :icon_mrgreen:

Heading to Kauai in October for Honeymoon. Hopefully nothing crazy going on then

Me too. Kauai should be fine. Big island this is life. Granted if you were on big island and on the Kona side you’d be fine anyway.

Me too. Kauai should be fine. Big island this is life. Granted if you were on big island and on the Kona side you’d be fine anyway.

As unfortunate as it is to see people lose their homes, you are correct about this being life on the Big Island. Leilani Estates which we keep seeing on the news sits in lava-flow hazard zone 1 according to the zone map. Zone 1 means you are in the most hazardous area, an area that includes volcanic vents of Hawaii's 2 most active volcanoes.

Zone 1 means you are in the most hazardous area, an area that includes volcanic vents of Hawaii's 2 most active volcanoes.

Sounds promising, but how are the schools?

Sounds promising, but how are the schools?

Its currently one of the hottest school districts in the entire state

No one ever expects the volcano to act like a volcano.

Had a 4.6 earthquake around 5am this morning in SoCal, news stations are interviewing people like they had an alien encounter.

The largest casualty is the fcuking lost productivity while every idiot asks one another if they felt it. Some talk like the movie San Andreas (without Alexandra Daddarios amazing cans), was a toned down version of their experience.

Im surrounded by idiots. :eusa_wall:

Had a 4.6 earthquake around 5am this morning in SoCal, news stations are interviewing people like they had an alien encounter.

The largest casualty is the fcuking lost productivity while every idiot asks one another if they felt it. Some talk like the movie San Andreas (without Alexandra Daddarios amazing cans), was a toned down version of their experience.

I agree. 4.6 is nothing...

I don't roll out of bed for anything below a 6.0.

Haha, I actually have precancer on my face and nose. Have to get treatments every few months with nitrogen. Not fun, so I cake myself with sunblock lol. TSA will probably think I'm smuggling sunblock in with how much I'll bring!

TSA will probably think I'm smuggling sunblock in with how much I'll bring!

Put it in the checked bag. I had some in my carry on and TSA made me throw my brand new sealed bottle in the garbage.

Haha, I actually have precancer on my face and nose. Have to get treatments every few months with nitrogen. Not fun, so I cake myself with sunblock lol. TSA will probably think I'm smuggling sunblock in with how much I'll bring!

Bring a doctor's note. I wasn't kidding. They really did ban sunscreen to help preserve the reefs. They will confiscate it if you don't have a note.

Bring a doctor's note. I wasn't kidding. They really did ban sunscreen to help preserve the reefs. They will confiscate it if you don't have a note.

Yes, that is 100% true. Studies have shown that oxybenzone and octinoxate in some sunscreens/sunblocks are killing and/or causing genetic deformation of coral reefs so they are banning them.

Did they ban all sunscreens or just certain ones?

EDIT: Nevermind, just Googled, it said some sunscreens are banned.

They banned all normal sunscreens with harmful chemicals in them. You can still buy and use zinc oxide based sunscreens Hawaii. They are thicker and sometimes don’t rub in fully but they actually work better and are 100% reef safe. Zinc sunscreens are all I’ve ever used when at the ocean And lived in Maui. (I got my degree in coral reef ecology back in the day)