Aventador

speed2

HI-FI I don’t understand but he’s trying to educate me, Ferrari that’s a completely different matter haha.

:lol2:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly scratch my head every time I hear about how “unlivable” is the single clutch tranny and either I have very very low standards or some of you guys need to stop whining lol. If I want ultimate luxury, smooth shifting blah blah I just get in the Bentley or drive the Mercedes. When I get in an “exotic car” the idea that I need to be pampered and wrapped in chinchilla smoothness goes out the window.

I was used to driving my 1100hp supra that had a clutch medal that felt like you were squatting stacks of plates to push and the on/off engagement was maybe an 1/8th”. Now that car was a bitch to drive in traffic. The suspension was so stiff, after a 45min drive tooth fillings would come loose and it gave me a smile ear to ear every time I drove it.

Right now the 6.0 is the “harshest” car I own and it drives like a Lexus compared to my Supra lol. I owned the 6.2 Murci for over a year and that is an early Egear and I had no complaints. Is it fastest ? No. But it was 10x easier than my Supra. The LP640 is a major upgrade to the 6.2 Egear and Aventador ISR is better IMHO than the LP640s system. So when I hear “oh my god I can’t live with the ISR” give me a brake lol.

I sold my Aventador Roadster mainly because when I got my new Huracan I was amazed at how much better it performed, especially in the transmission dept. I found myself leaving the Aventador in the garage. I absolutely love the looks of the Aventador, especially the Roadster, but it was just not as much fun to drive as the Huracan. The Aventador needs a Double Clutch transmission but I understand it will probably never happen until they make major changes in the design. So last week I purchased a 2017 Ferarri F12 with 450 miles on it. The performance with the DC tranny is amazing. 731 HP is not bad either. I might have gone for the Aventador if it had a better transmission ( DC ) but I jusst did not want to go back to the ISR shifting.

Now if Lamborghini introduces a new improved Aventador with a DC Transmission I will surly take a look at it. In the meantime I"m keeping the Huracan and it looks like the F12 will be a keeper also.

Congrats on your pickup!!

How does the F12 driving experience compare to the Aventador other than the transmission?

Congrats on your pickup!!

How does the F12 driving experience compare to the Aventador other than the transmission?

The F12 arrives next week. Only drove it a small amount so cannot comment.

Drive a Performante.

I know its a great car, and drives better than an Aventador for sure, but to keep and collect with my other Lambos I want an Aventador. That being said, I will always prefer 3 pedal cars.

ISR on the AV is one reason I dumped the Huracan, maybe that sounds crazy but for my driving pleasure the AV is hands down a better experience....

ISR on the AV is one reason I dumped the Huracan, maybe that sounds crazy but for my driving pleasure the AV is hands down a better experience....

Agree !! not boring to drive! Sold my Performante and got the AV-S Its a blast to drive.

This discussion is why i have two ancient, 3 pedal Diablos. Slow compared to aything without 3 pedals, but FUN

You have a Diablo SV which is the sexiest car the 20th century produced, so go as fast or slow as you want :icon_thumleft:

I honestly scratch my head every time I hear about how “unlivable” is the single clutch tranny and either I have very very low standards or some of you guys need to stop whining lol. If I want ultimate luxury, smooth shifting blah blah I just get in the Bentley or drive the Mercedes. When I get in an “exotic car” the idea that I need to be pampered and wrapped in chinchilla smoothness goes out the window.

I was used to driving my 1100hp supra that had a clutch medal that felt like you were squatting stacks of plates to push and the on/off engagement was maybe an 1/8th”. Now that car was a bitch to drive in traffic. The suspension was so stiff, after a 45min drive tooth fillings would come loose and it gave me a smile ear to ear every time I drove it.

Right now the 6.0 is the “harshest” car I own and it drives like a Lexus compared to my Supra lol. I owned the 6.2 Murci for over a year and that is an early Egear and I had no complaints. Is it fastest ? No. But it was 10x easier than my Supra. The LP640 is a major upgrade to the 6.2 Egear and Aventador ISR is better IMHO than the LP640s system. So when I hear “oh my god I can’t live with the ISR” give me a brake lol.

:iamwithstupid: Ultimate 1st world problems :lol2: I can see why people wouldn't like the ISR, I just find the smoothness of the DCT takes away from the driving feel when you're going fast. The ISR deliverers as close to the old-school manual feel as you can get and I agree it's light-years ahead of the old E-gear systems and it's lighter than the a DCT. I hope in the future they put the ISR into a super hardcore driver because I feel the ISR gets no love despite how amazing an transmission system it is. It'll probably looked back on in 10 years fondly, much like the manual transmission is now. FYI the Supra is a dope car, I love it every time I see an MK IV on the road :icon_super:

I know its a great car, and drives better than an Aventador for sure, but to keep and collect with my other Lambos I want an Aventador. That being said, I will always prefer 3 pedal cars.

3-pedal is the way to go...unfortunately with my long dancer's legs (I'm 6"6") Italian cars get tricky (I can barely drive a Diablo, but need some seat and pedal adjustments), so having the F1-style transmission in the newer cars makes it physically easier for me to enjoy it. You also have a Diablo SV, which I will again say is the sexiest car the 20th century produced :icon_thumleft:

:iamwithstupid: The Huracan is a great car, but the first time I drove a Huracan I was following an Aventador and I was wishing I was in the V12...The experience is just that much different. The Huracan is playful, zippy and has a great sounding engine. But it's also a bit calmer and smoother than the Aventador and is a car I could easily daily without thinking twice. The Aventador just feels special with the V12 and the single clutch...I've found that at speed DCT cars seem to all feel too similar.

Agree !! not boring to drive! Sold my Performante and got the AV-S Its a blast to drive.

Wooo there's a 4th!

SVJ :icon_thumleft:

:iamwithstupid: x100

I'd rather have a manual than any ISR, I think they are shit, clunky, expensive to fix and slow. If you can't use your left leg for some reason while driving an exotic, dual clutch all the way. I just drove a friend's first gen R8 rtronic, gearbox ruined the car IMO.

Definitely a misleading title.

Your cars doesn’t NEED need a new transmission. You just like DCT better which is very acceptable. No different than me saying your F12 needs a body shop just cause I think it’s girly as sin. It’s just an opinion.

:iamwithstupid:

DC transmissions are faster and smoother, but imo wayyyyyy less fun to drive than the aventador SC.

I'd take an egear over a DC any day of the week. At least an egear feels more raw. I think in time an egear will be looked at a lot like a manual while all the others will be looked at as automatics.

This is so damn funny, history has a funny way of repeating itself or I must be able to predict the future LOL

I always said that once manual is extinct from the exotics world the single clutch tranny will be viewed and worshipped by diehard fans just as the manual was, same like with a manual, if you don’t like the single clutch for some reason you aren’t man enough LOL ohh my car in the past was so hard to drive that I needed to wake up at 6 am if I wanted to get it in gear by 8 am, I had to call one of my friends to help me stomp on the clutch pedal so I can get it into gear! I am hairy chested AF! 😂

You must be cool with something which you considered flawed and in your opinion compromised in order to safeguard your masculinity.

It’s a matter of preference, I prefer the DCT over the single clutch because during normal driving isn’t as clunky and unpredictable, sit at a set of lights in a million dollar car with tens of eyeballs on you and you don’t know if the god damn thing will shift into first this time or just be stubborn enough not to do it and just sit there in neutral for a bit.

The other thing I dislike about it is the way it distabilises the car under heavy load, when it kicks in it almost twists the steering wheel in your hand, at high speed in particular if you turn into sweeping corners it’s quite unsettling, I guess it depends on the style of driving you are doing, high speed straight line on highways no issues, high speed spirited driving in the twisties not as fun.

There is a reason why they are updating it and trying to make it smoother with every new model, trying to make it more like a DCT :icon_mrgreen:

Anyway buy and drive what you like this debate will never end!

This is so damn funny, history has a funny way of repeating itself or I must be able to predict the future LOL

I always said that once manual is extinct from the exotics world the single clutch tranny will be viewed and worshipped by diehard fans just as the manual was, same like with a manual, if you don’t like the single clutch for some reason you aren’t man enough LOL ohh my car in the past was so hard to drive that I needed to wake up at 6 am if I wanted to get it in gear by 8 am, I had to call one of my friends to help me stomp on the clutch pedal so I can get it into gear! I am hairy chested AF! ��

You must be cool with something which you considered flawed and in your opinion compromised in order to safeguard your masculinity.

It’s a matter of preference, I prefer the DCT over the single clutch because during normal driving isn’t as clunky and unpredictable, sit at a set of lights in a million dollar car with tens of eyeballs on you and you don’t know if the god damn thing will shift into first this time or just be stubborn enough not to do it and just sit there in neutral for a bit.

The other thing I dislike about it is the way it distabilises the car under heavy load, when it kicks in it almost twists the steering wheel in your hand, at high speed in particular if you turn into sweeping corners it’s quite unsettling, I guess it depends on the style of driving you are doing, high speed straight line on highways no issues, high speed spirited driving in the twisties not as fun.

There is a reason why they are updating it and trying to make it smoother with every new model, trying to make it more like a DCT :icon_mrgreen:

Anyway buy and drive what you like this debate will never end!

I disagree, manuals and DCT have been perfected. Single clutches were a purely transitionary technology that never really "worked". I don't think anyone will be opining single clutches in 20 years. I have driven several early Aventadors and I thought they all sucked primarily because of the transmission. I never got the "rawness" take, I just didn't think they worked very well. E gear Gallardos and Murcis were even worse.

Fortis, how many times do I have to tell you that you are the Resident Sage of L Power my friend?

If you think the Aventador egear is cool, try pulling a couple spark plug wires off. You’ll love the “rawness” from the engine too.

If you think the Aventador egear is cool, try pulling a couple spark plug wires off. You’ll love the “rawness” from the engine too.

:icon_mrgreen:

I still feel there's still good salvage value for single clutch transmissions for race track use, especially on dedicated race cars.

I've been meaning to do a write up on LP of a recent track drive in Bahrain of a Renault Clio Cup Car and a Radical SR1......for the time being I'll comment on the their transmissions.

The Renault uses paddle shifters, with dog clutch box and single clutch system (with clutch pedal). The Radical uses a Hayabusa sequential manual transmission with paddles, and clutch pedal (along with a Busa engine); you only use the clutch to get the car moving and when you want to bring it to a stop.

They shift very fast and pretty smoothly too. Granted the entire experience is about at the limit driving, but there was a 5-->2 corner I would take in the Radical time after time clicking off downshifts and it was amazing.....fast, super smooth, no unsettling of the car.

I would imagine it's the racing clutch that is making the difference here along with the driving style, two things that wouldn't make it on a production car. For as great as it was performance wise, slipping the clutch was pretty challenging. I haven't stalled that many times since I learned how to drive....no street exotic is anywhere this hard to get moving. :lol2:

For a pure dedicated race car, I imagine these transmissions are cheaper and more straightforward than a dual clutch so IMO I think single clutch will exist in the racing world for awhile.

I disagree, manuals and DCT have been perfected. Single clutches were a purely transitionary technology that never really "worked". I don't think anyone will be opining single clutches in 20 years. I have driven several early Aventadors and I thought they all sucked primarily because of the transmission. I never got the "rawness" take, I just didn't think they worked very well. E gear Gallardos and Murcis were even worse.

I think maybe it didn’t come across properly, what I am saying is happening now, you have the diehard fans of the singles clutches acting in a similar way manual fans were acting when the manuals were on their way out, fans will never see eye to eye when it comes to transmission it’s best to buy what you love.

BTW I agree with you and feel exactly the same as you do about the single clutches.

Fortis, how many times do I have to tell you that you are the Resident Sage of L Power my friend?

Thank you my friend, I am starting to have few grays :(

For a pure dedicated race car, I imagine these transmissions are cheaper and more straightforward than a dual clutch so IMO I think single clutch will exist in the racing world for awhile.

I agree, they came out of F1 in the early 90's. They are also lighter than a comparable DCT.

Thank you my friend, I am starting to have few grays :(

When you post this is what I imagine you look like:

318242.png

Most racing transmissions are constant mesh types. Also found on most motorcycles. Like said clutch only required for take off and stopping. Only need to lift throttle or ignition kill to upshift.