FYI: SV recall; loose centering bolts may cause wheel detachment

sl55

NHTSA Campaign Number: 18V461000

Manufacturer Automobili Lamborghini

Components WHEELS

Potential Number of Units Affected 8

Summary

Automobili Lamborghini (Lamborghini) is recalling certain 2015-2016 Lamborghini Aventador SV Coupe and Aventador SV Roadster vehicles. The bolts centering and supporting the brake discs to the wheel's hub may loosen over time. Continued driving with loose centering bolts may result in the wheel detaching.

Remedy

Lamborghini will notify owners, and dealers will replace the centering bolts with ones that have thread-locking fluid, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin August 31, 2018. Owners may contact Lamborghini customer service at 1-866-681-6276. Lamborghini's number for this recall is L73XR0318.

Notes

Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2016/LAMBORGH...ENTADOR#recalls

The whole center lock trend is troubling. The fact that they require loc-tite makes me worry. Why use a single bolt when you can have multiple for redundancy. Even Porsche is choosing looks over function.

not to mention caps popping out due to heat -but they do offer new ones now with holes in them lol

Wonder what next .. I bet you they'll have to do a recall next on transmission shuddering when car gets too hot after been driven for a couple of hours

Unfortunately, Lambo only respond after legal threats or outright dramas like fires or crashes when all they have to do is listen and act on customer feedback without silly denials

"Potential Number of Units Affected 8"

Why only eight cars? Does that make sense?

Maybe 8 cars had the issue?

I have no first hand with Lamborghini center lock wheels. However, I do with Porsche.

I have had zero issues with any Porsche center lock wheel. I personally have proper torque wrench to remove and torque them to the required 450 ft lbs. I never once had a wheel that needed a re-torque.

The lock tight makes me wonder what the deal is. On the Porsche cars, there is an anti-seize past that we applied. I can not think of the name, but it was made by Castrol. It was the only product that we were instructed to put on the locking threads.

All I can think is that there is a heat related issues and lock tight is the only option. I have no first hand knowledge if lock tight is used in the racing world or not.

I also read the part about 8 cars??

Mike

5 lug Ferrari wheel from a 812 came off clean, not an isolated case either, never heard of a centre lock to let go, I am sure it’s a preventing measure, 5 lugs isn’t any safer or equally as safe I guess.

I have taking off my center lock wheels multiple times without issues. Also, none of the center caps ever came off. I suspect that sometimes techs are not putting them back on correctly. I usually run a bead of dishwasher soap around the rubber gasket on the caps when placing them back on the wheels.

Maybe 8 cars had the issue?

Possibly some of the owners complained to their Government recall body (which anyone can do) so Lambo was forced to act but God only knows how many others are really affected ..

I'll be checking up on mine lol

Possibly some of the owners complained to their Government recall body (which anyone can do) so Lambo was forced to act but God only knows how many others are really affected ..

I'll be checking up on mine lol

No manufacturer would issue a recall only for those who complain LOL

No manufacturer would issue a recall only for those who complain LOL

Yes but recalls are usually due to customer complaints to the factory and/or to relevant Government bodies which intervene on safety grounds and compel the factory to issue recalls for safety reasons

Point is 8 cars only affected !?

Yes but recalls are usually due to customer complaints to the factory and/or to relevant Government bodies which intervene on safety grounds and compel the factory to issue recalls for safety reasons

Point is 8 cars only affected !?

No doubt that’s one way to figure out issues with your product, customer feedback, but in that instance the entire line gets called in, if they are only recalling 8 they’ve must’ve discovered an issue with a certain batch of product.

No doubt that’s one way to figure out issues with your product, customer feedback, but in that instance the entire line gets called in, if they are only recalling 8 they’ve must’ve discovered an issue with a certain batch of product.

I wonder how many more than those 8 suffer from that defect. I’m not taking any chances and will check with dealer mechanic 😉