Is the Model X a perfect daily driver?

Luxeous

Rented a Model X P90D over the weekend while visiting family in Michigan and I have to say I am beyond impressed. It's one thing to go for a test drive and experience the absurd acceleration but it wasn't until I used it continuously for a few days that I realized how good it truly is. Honestly blown away. The doors opening as you walk up and closing once you get in - the sheer ease of maneuvering it into parking spaces - the insane visibility with the huge windshield, the autopilot, the Slacker radio setup, voice control, easiest nav I have ever used, massive amount of storage space, safety for kids, etc etc.. honestly it felt like the car was made by people creating the car they wish had existed. That, to me, is the way things should always be designed.

Has anyone else used one as a daily driver? Would love to know if I am missing anything here or if it's really as good as it seemed to be.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love it - from the inside only.

Wish i could get the Mrs. to like it as would save a load on gas...but no go. Amazing for ingress and egress with kids due to doors. I would love to have one...just not as my DD as it is sinfully ugly.

Family friend has had one for a couple of years and they still love it. No way will your Mrs. go from a RR to that without a fight!

Had a Model S (P100D) for a little while.

Still not a fan of not being able to pull into any gas station when needed. You're somewhat reminded of just how far you are from any given Supercharger station on that map and I think that instills a little anxiety. This is personal of course.

But beyond that, the price of a higher performance Tesla crosses into the price point of luxury European cars that feel miles better in terms of comfort and build quality. Case in point the P100D we had was practically overlapping the price of an S63 sedan. And I think I would prefer the S63 at that price.

Speed might be addicting, but it wore off quick once I started wishing that everything else caught up to the level of the price.

Rented a Model X P90D over the weekend while visiting family in Michigan and I have to say I am beyond impressed. It's one thing to go for a test drive and experience the absurd acceleration but it wasn't until I used it continuously for a few days that I realized how good it truly is. Honestly blown away. The doors opening as you walk up and closing once you get in - the sheer ease of maneuvering it into parking spaces - the insane visibility with the huge windshield, the autopilot, the Slacker radio setup, voice control, easiest nav I have ever used, massive amount of storage space, safety for kids, etc etc.. honestly it felt like the car was made by people creating the car they wish had existed. That, to me, is the way things should always be designed.

Has anyone else used one as a daily driver? Would love to know if I am missing anything here or if it's really as good as it seemed to be.

I have a MODEL X that I now use as my primary family hauler. We've had it for about a year now and over 16k happy miles on the car. We did have to sacrifice a little storage space coming from a minivan to make the X work, but the benefits and "cool" factor stepping up to an X was definitely well worth it for us. The biggest thing you'll want to consider, if you're using it as a DAILY, is to figure out how much you'll be driving it for majority of it's use? It's not worth immediately ruling out the car if it doesn't meet the needs of your 2-5% usage. The only time our X has been an issue for our family is when we are traveling as a FULL family. With every seat occupied, it's hard to get all our luggage in the car if we're traveling for any significant amount of time. But at that point we just hire a shuttle/car to come pick us up and take us to airport anyways. If you do LONG commutes, then range anxiety maybe a real deal for you. Again, we use it 90% of the time within the city to pick up kids from school, errands, lunch, etc. So we're more than fine with the range. I saw SOMEWHERE that today might be LAST day to pick up FREE SUPERCHARGING using someone's Tesla referral code. If you are interested, I'll post my referral code below:

http://ts.la/daniel6971

Wish i could get the Mrs. to like it as would save a load on gas...but no go. Amazing for ingress and egress with kids due to doors. I would love to have one...just not as my DD as it is sinfully ugly.

Family friend has had one for a couple of years and they still love it. No way will your Mrs. go from a RR to that without a fight!

Haha I thought that as well but she texted me at the grocery store today saying how much easier it was with the X than the Range (which she's back in now). It's definitely not the prettiest car but honestly the more I drove it the more I was just impressed with how simple it was to get in and go. I'm thinking I'll get one and she can keep the Range then we'll see what really gets used more and go from there.

Had a Model S (P100D) for a little while.

Still not a fan of not being able to pull into any gas station when needed. You're somewhat reminded of just how far you are from any given Supercharger station on that map and I think that instills a little anxiety. This is personal of course.

But beyond that, the price of a higher performance Tesla crosses into the price point of luxury European cars that feel miles better in terms of comfort and build quality. Case in point the P100D we had was practically overlapping the price of an S63 sedan. And I think I would prefer the S63 at that price.

Speed might be addicting, but it wore off quick once I started wishing that everything else caught up to the level of the price.

I have to agree - the range anxiety when renting was magnified even more as my parent's home didnt have a wall charger so I'd have to go find a super charger every time I wanted to charge it. Having it at my own home where I can charge it every night I feel should be a fine solution there.

The speed of the S is absurd but I found I really appreciated the extra details of the X more than anything. With kids, the doors in the back are actually amazing for getting to them without much issue. Getting back into my Range definitely felt more exclusive but I'm not sure it was enough to a con that made me shy away from the X - all black exterior with white interior really is a cool color combo and the seats were very resilient.

I have a MODEL X that I now use as my primary family hauler. We've had it for about a year now and over 16k happy miles on the car. We did have to sacrifice a little storage space coming from a minivan to make the X work, but the benefits and "cool" factor stepping up to an X was definitely well worth it for us. The biggest thing you'll want to consider, if you're using it as a DAILY, is to figure out how much you'll be driving it for majority of it's use? It's not worth immediately ruling out the car if it doesn't meet the needs of your 2-5% usage. The only time our X has been an issue for our family is when we are traveling as a FULL family. With every seat occupied, it's hard to get all our luggage in the car if we're traveling for any significant amount of time. But at that point we just hire a shuttle/car to come pick us up and take us to airport anyways. If you do LONG commutes, then range anxiety maybe a real deal for you. Again, we use it 90% of the time within the city to pick up kids from school, errands, lunch, etc. So we're more than fine with the range. I saw SOMEWHERE that today might be LAST day to pick up FREE SUPERCHARGING using someone's Tesla referral code. If you are interested, I'll post my referral code below:

http://ts.la/daniel6971

We're looking at getting a 6 seater so it would end up sacrificing a bit of storage space when compared to the fold down row in the Range but to be honest I think I'd just buy a cheap pickup if I found myself moving much. Travel wise if fit everything we'd pack as a family of 4 for a two week vacation just fine, I was super impressed. That storage space under the floor in the back is massive!

On another note, seems like Porsche and Mercedes aren't too far off from launching their version of fully electric cars. I'm curious to see what price point they would be at and what would fall into direct competition against Tesla within their respective price brackets.

On another note, seems like Porsche and Mercedes aren't too far off from launching their version of fully electric cars. I'm curious to see what price point they would be at and what would fall into direct competition against Tesla within their respective price brackets.

Bingo - i got asked this week to put down $2500 for my taycan spot, haven't looked into the details yet but think i'll go for it.

I tried to talk my wife into one. Non-starter. She won't do a minivan - her words. Loves her (2nd) diesel estate. Tesla's days are numbered if they can't deliver quality cars in volume. Model 3 has the ambiance of a North Korean prison.

I assume cold weather is not a factor for the OP. I’ve heard different stories on how cold affects battery life (some say it’s not significant - some say it’s a deal breaker).

For those with winter and longer drives I would think “range anxiety” would be quite real.

I have no desire to go full electric because of the range and locations of charging spots. I also couldn't imagine spending the money for a Tesla. After buying a house earlier this year, my commute jumped to about 100 a day and I bought little Prius C for 13,XXX. Averaging about 60 mpg and have gotten up to 78.6 mpg on a 12 mile and almost 71 on a 40 mile drive. Over 500 miles on a tank...9 gallons or less. That's enough cost savings for me. Done almost 10k miles since early April.

We have the X and S our DDs, they are awesome.... my dad just got the 3 and really likes it.... we have taken quite few trips and never had issues with range or charging.... I"m so spoiled by auto pilot, I doubt I will have a DD that doesn't drive itself ever again...

Tesla leant me an X to try a few weeks ago

I actually thought it drove ok for a family car but for me the interior finish is just crap for such an expensive car

Also had a go in the Jaguar which I prefer - but as others have said why buy any of them when the new Audi / BMW / Merc EVs are about to come out (keep hearing great things from people that have tried the Merc)?

....... what I have also heard/read about Tesla is that the service centres can't cope with the workload - so if your car works its fine but if anything goes wrong or you have a crash the car could be in the garage for months

....... and of course you have the issue that cds market predicts >40% chance of Tesla going bankrupt - and who is going to support your worthless car then

X is nice but very heavy and not so pretty. It’s also $100k with basic options for the 75D base model.

The falcon doors are very cool, functional but too complex and heavy.

After a test drive of the X, I decided to get a model 3 for mainly driving experience, newest tech, and more affordable reasons.

I totally get why a hybrid is much more affordable than an EV. But a Prius doesn’t have auto pilot and is too slow.

If I had a family, I would get the X instead of 3.

I thought about getting the new G550 but the 12mpg turned me off. The climate change is real and I do want to make a difference

The only thing I can think of is S63 money for a fridge on wheels LOL thanks but no thanks !

I have a deposit on the 3, no idea why, it must’ve been fashionable at the time LOL but I think I am safe because the length they take to deliver their cars I think I will be safe for the next 10 years or so.

We have a G63 coming, really looking forward to that.

We test drove them a few times.

Impressions:

- Wicked fast but so what? That's not how we drive in every day, typical traffic

- Quiet (which is good and bad - for us mostly bad)

- Range - a source of anxiety since we like to travel and don't want to be confined to a route with charging stations. If it were strictly local/around town I can see the appeal

- Pricey! Very expensive for what you get. Fit/finish not so great. Spartan interior. Hard seats (maybe they've improved in the past couple years). But definitely into MB territory for which you receive a LOT more luxury for same price

- Service - we finally have a local dealer but the Tesla financial instability is a bit off-putting

- Tax Credit annoyance: why should we (tax paying citizens) subsidize the relatively affluent early adopters? I know....advancing technology. But I object that my hard-earned tax dollars were going to people who didn't really need the help to buy a six figure battery powered car. While that program has expired it left a bad taste for Tesla in general...

- looks are subjective and I could get past the look if there were other BIG plusses, but the scale is tipped too far to the negative for me

We test drove them a few times.

Impressions:

- Wicked fast but so what? That's not how we drive in every day, typical traffic

- Quiet (which is good and bad - for us mostly bad)

- Range - a source of anxiety since we like to travel and don't want to be confined to a route with charging stations. If it were strictly local/around town I can see the appeal

- Pricey! Very expensive for what you get. Fit/finish not so great. Spartan interior. Hard seats (maybe they've improved in the past couple years). But definitely into MB territory for which you receive a LOT more luxury for same price

- Service - we finally have a local dealer but the Tesla financial instability is a bit off-putting

- Tax Credit annoyance: why should we (tax paying citizens) subsidize the relatively affluent early adopters? I know....advancing technology. But I object that my hard-earned tax dollars were going to people who didn't really need the help to buy a six figure battery powered car. While that program has expired it left a bad taste for Tesla in general...

- looks are subjective and I could get past the look if there were other BIG plusses, but the scale is tipped too far to the negative for me

:iamwithstupid:

Fully agreed and could not have said it better myself.

• 3 weeks later...

Honestly can you tell me one other company where a CEO who behaves like this could possibly still have a job?

Clearly the shares fell badly at the end of the week but to me this all looks very much like Enron

Musk has clearly got massive personal debt which is secured by his shares so there must be a price at which he will be margin called and it will be game over

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-60...alia-Banks.html

WTF man? Unfriend.

Haha. I'm actually selling my Tundra too. Signed a bill of sale today. Gonna buy something kinda Italian in the near future to be a weekend toy!

The only thing I can think of is S63 money for a fridge on wheels LOL thanks but no thanks !

I have a deposit on the 3, no idea why, it must’ve been fashionable at the time LOL but I think I am safe because the length they take to deliver their cars I think I will be safe for the next 10 years or so.

We have a G63 coming, really looking forward to that.

:iamwithstupid: :icon_thumleft:

Haha, same here...I really wanted to get it for its practicality but wife hates the design.

Electric cars as the technology is right now (not the price) I think are fine for DDs if you have a fixed commute and wouldn't have range anxiety, but for driving long distances, or taking trips, the technology IMO is not there yet. I drive about 26 miles to and from work each day, and would love to have a nice little electric car that had say a 300-400 mile range where I could just plug it in each night when I got home. I would have an older secondary ICE vehicle for taking long-distance trips, or escaping the area in the event of a natural disaster, etc...the problem is that the electric cars are still way too pricey. They have a ways to go still in getting the battery tech down price-wise.

Electric cars as the technology is right now (not the price) I think are fine for DDs if you have a fixed commute and wouldn't have range anxiety, but for driving long distances, or taking trips, the technology IMO is not there yet. I drive about 26 miles to and from work each day, and would love to have a nice little electric car that had say a 300-400 mile range where I could just plug it in each night when I got home. I would have an older secondary ICE vehicle for taking long-distance trips, or escaping the area in the event of a natural disaster, etc...the problem is that the electric cars are still way too pricey. They have a ways to go still in getting the battery tech down price-wise.

I DD a Fiat 500e and have done 9000 miles in it since Feb 17'

It has a $32 or 34k msrp but to lease it was as cheap as chips:

It costs me $210 inc tax a month (which included all the protection packages).

I got a $2500.00 cash back rebate from the state of CA.

I get to use the carpool lane.

I don't have to go to gas stations.

Think about that for a second - a brand new car on a 3 yr 12k mile p/y lease that's costing me: $5k!

It really has been an amazing DD - i have had nothing go wrong with it thus far (touch wood) and beat the living shit out of it without a care in the world. It is also very nippy around town with the instant tq and aside from extremely light steering it's a lot of fun to drive as it's so tiny with the tq.

It has a fully charged range of approx 78 miles, which in the real world is about 60 when you're going at FWY speeds and using AC etc which is fine as my commute is 40 miles (up from being circa 15) round trip and if i ever need to go anywhere else i can take my charger with me to work and top it up.

I wouldn't go back to a gas powered car for a daily...this just makes too much sense.

Tesla the simply useless car company, they think they are Apple LOL

They organised an event here for order holders of the Model 3 so we can see the car, the local idiots had one single car for the event, it was organised on a Tuesday from 9 AM to 5 PM (when everybody works)

The event was held in their showroom which is about the size of a shoe box, fits 3 cars from what I can see.

They kept everyone outside in the sun and left few people in at the time, the waiting time outside was 45 minutes, like the idiot that I am I was waiting outside for 45 minutes with the rest of the weird greenies LOL because my wife wanted to see it.

We made it to the front of the line some hipster approached us to check on our names, he asked some irrelevant questions just to make small talk I told him we only have 5 minutes to spare because we have to pick up our daughter ( we had no idea we had to line up for one hour to see the stupid thing) he said ohh I am very sorry there is another line once you get inside if you don't have time please come back some other time.

W T F?? I told him, mate the only thing I have time for is for you to get on your iPad and cancel my God damn order, many other people left from the line while we were waiting there, what an absolutely useless company!

Hire a god damn warehouse which can house 300 people, place your shitbox in the middle and take the cover off of it so everyone can see it, put some finger food around a bit of music and some water and let people enjoy it like that, have those morons ever seen a car release??

I have zero interest in dealing with that company or buying any of their products.

Thank you for providing this thread as a perfect venue for my Tesla rant LOL