Is the Model X a perfect daily driver?

Luxeous

Tesla the simply useless car company, they think they are Apple LOL

They organised an event here for order holders of the Model 3 so we can see the car, the local idiots had one single car for the event, it was organised on a Tuesday from 9 AM to 5 PM (when everybody works)

The event was held in their showroom which is about the size of a shoe box, fits 3 cars from what I can see.

They kept everyone outside in the sun and left few people in at the time, the waiting time outside was 45 minutes, like the idiot that I am I was waiting outside for 45 minutes with the rest of the weird greenies LOL because my wife wanted to see it.

We made it to the front of the line some hipster approached us to check on our names, he asked some irrelevant questions just to make small talk I told him we only have 5 minutes to spare because we have to pick up our daughter ( we had no idea we had to line up for one hour to see the stupid thing) he said ohh I am very sorry there is another line once you get inside if you don't have time please come back some other time.

W T F?? I told him, mate the only thing I have time for is for you to get on your iPad and cancel my God damn order, many other people left from the line while we were waiting there, what an absolutely useless company!

Hire a god damn warehouse which can house 300 people, place your shitbox in the middle and take the cover off of it so everyone can see it, put some finger food around a bit of music and some water and let people enjoy it like that, have those morons ever seen a car release??

I have zero interest in dealing with that company or buying any of their products.

Thank you for providing this thread as a perfect venue for my Tesla rant LOL

There are model 3's running all over our city. They make a prius look like a piece of artwork......

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 2. A Model S and a Model 3. Would not buy anything but an electric for a daily. Love everything about it, no issues or anxieties as some put it. I do not need 800lbs of fancy leather and crap in the car, give me electronics any day. I love autopilot, I loath drivers who refuse to put their phones down and say they don't need it.

I know each have their own opinions, but until you own one, is it really valid?

As for the rants on Tesla, never understood those...unless you are still pissed off you did not buy the stock at $27.

I have 2. A Model S and a Model 3. Would not buy anything but an electric for a daily. Love everything about it, no issues or anxieties as some put it. I do not need 800lbs of fancy leather and crap in the car, give me electronics any day. I love autopilot, I loath drivers who refuse to put their phones down and say they don't need it.

I know each have their own opinions, but until you own one, is it really valid?

As for the rants on Tesla, never understood those...unless you are still pissed off you did not buy the stock at $27.

Rants about Tesla have nothing to do with their stock, I couldn't care less, I don't even know nor care what their stock is doing, I made a lot more money investing in my own business than buying stock which seems to be controlled by a lunatic, I need no stress in my life just so I can make few extra bucks.

It has everything to do with customer service so rant based purely on that :icon_mrgreen:

I will wait for Audi, Porsche and Benz to bring their full electric cars to the market, when that happens and I get proper factory back up with dealerships around the corner from my house governed by a properly run enterprise then if I like what I see I will buy, for now I am happy with my DD choices.

I wanted to buy the 3 for my wife but now she's not interested, she is getting the new G63, as a non car person go figure, in a million years I wouldn't have guessed that my wife would want a G wagon LOL

I had test-driven Tesla's 5 times. The sales staffs were ok; no complaints whatsoever but nothing to highly praise about either. I wanted to like Tesla; 2 of the test drives even involved full-day loans. But I simply cannot. The tech and the infrastructure for it are questionable; at least in my part of the world. The built quality; to my eyes; is sub-par. I wouldn't call its designs "good" either. If I am taking the electric route, I would wait for other reputable manufacturer to join the game and then decide. As a company, I give Tesla credit for trying but to me that's not enough; at least not at its current stage. The founder, I simply don't know. He made a lot of promises and not too many had been delivered or come to fruition in a proper way. To theorize is easy; to actually make it happen and bug-free is at a different level altogether. And half-jokingly, if you look at his ambitious plans (rockets, fuel-cell at every home; revolutionized the car industry etc...); does he not possess all the traits of a typical Bond villain? :icon_mrgreen:

Tesla is the new Apple, innovating, polarizing, changing the space and forcing others to follow. Apple hasn't done anything since Jobs passed, they just copy everyone else. It's going to be a long time before others catch up to Tesla. Even when the Porsche comes out, there will be no infrastructure to support it, just look at the Bolt, why are people passing on it and waiting for the Tesla Model 3?

I ride in my friends Mercedes, Rolls and BMWs and I agree, they are much nicer inside, but I really don't care. My P100D does everything I need, nobody is keeping up with me around town, it's fun to drive, autopilot is awesome. I never get in the car and think, damn, I need those massaging seats, LED roofs and nice wood trim to make me happy. And I don't miss taking the car in for oil changes, brakes, yearly service. I have enough of that with the exotics. My wife isn't a car person at all, when I ask her why she like the Tesla? #1 answer is, I never have to stop for gas.

I don't see Tesla as the new Apple, the tech existed around forever there is nothing innovative about it, the packaging is sleeker than the average but that's about it for me, they act like Apple which is the problem because if you are cocky you also have to be able to back it up otherwise you just look like a fool.

When the big boys will jump in Tesla will have to pick up their game., the key for growth for every company isn't so much to please those already converted and loyal, it's to retain them but also to bring new blood in such as myself for example, without doing so there is no growth but I am sure they couldn't care less about that because at this stage they can not even deliver to those who bought from them so why bother with the new guys?

And I don't miss taking the car in for oil changes, brakes, yearly service. I have enough of that with the exotics. My wife isn't a car person at all, when I ask her why she like the Tesla? #1 answer is, I never have to stop for gas.

Teslas don't need brakes?

I don't see Tesla as the new Apple, the tech existed around forever there is nothing innovative about it, the packaging is sleeker than the average but that's about it for me, they act like Apple which is the problem because if you are cocky you also have to be able to back it up otherwise you just look like a fool.

When the big boys will jump in Tesla will have to pick up their game., the key for growth for every company isn't so much to please those already converted and loyal, it's to retain them but also to bring new blood in such as myself for example, without doing so there is no growth but I am sure they couldn't care less about that because at this stage they can not even deliver to those who bought from them so why bother with the new guys?

Would disagree with you in one respect---the tech Tesla did hasn't really been around forever. Yes, "electric cars" have been around forever, but developing electric car technology to the degree that Tesla has no one had done before, and the automotive industry had claimed could not be done. Tesla has brought the concept very far, the problem is that it still isn't far enough yet.

Elon Musk as of late seems to be cracking mentally which is not going to help things either. Too much pressure I suppose.

Would disagree with you in one respect---the tech Tesla did hasn't really been around forever. Yes, "electric cars" have been around forever, but developing electric car technology to the degree that Tesla has no one had done before, and the automotive industry had claimed could not be done. Tesla has brought the concept very far, the problem is that it still isn't far enough yet.

Elon Musk as of late seems to be cracking mentally which is not going to help things either. Too much pressure I suppose.

Forever in this instance was used as a figure of speech.

What tech did Tesla invent ?

Teslas don't need brakes?

With regenerative braking, no need to replace brake pads for about 150k miles.

Forever in this instance was used as a figure of speech.

I understood you meant it as a figure of speech. I took it that you were saying that the tech Tesla is using has been around since the invention of the electric car, which was over 100 years ago (so "forever"). My point was that while the electric car itself has been around "forever," the electric car tech that Tesla has been using has not. Before them, no one had developed car batteries that had the range or the charging times that Teslas have.

I understood you meant it as a figure of speech. I took it that you were saying that the tech Tesla is using has been around since the invention of the electric car, which was over 100 years ago (so "forever"). My point was that while the electric car itself has been around "forever," the electric car tech that Tesla has been using has not. Before them, no one had developed car batteries that had the range or the charging times that Teslas have.

Once again what tech did Tesla invent? We’ve been charging batteries forever.

Since we are comparing them with Apple the first trillion dollar company, the company who revolutionized the personal computing industry and change our lives with mobile computing forever, that’s why I am asking, what revolutionary tech have they invented because I genuinely do not know.

As for business, unless you have patented proprietary tech you are open to the wolves, which they might have, I don’t care enough to look into it, I don’t buy shares so I don’t care but when your business can be replicated in the tent next door and you have no protection IMO you have nothing but an average, unspectacular business which is open for taking. When the big boys decide to move in your space you need to play your cards right, got to show some humility otherwise you are left with your pants in your hand.

Since we are comparing them with Apple the first trillion dollar company, the company who revolutionized the personal computing industry and change our lives with mobile computing forever, that’s why I am asking, what revolutionary tech have they invented because I genuinely do not know.

As for business, unless you have patented proprietary tech you are open to the wolves, which they might have, I don’t care enough to look into it, I don’t buy shares so I don’t care but when your business can be replicated in the tent next door and you have no protection IMO you have nothing but an average, unspectacular business which is open for taking. When the big boys decide to move in your space you need to play your cards right, got to show some humility otherwise you are left with your pants in your hand.

Tesla will be a wholly owned subsidiary in a few years. Cash burn, production and quality problems, and many more direct competitors. Model 3 margins are razor thin even when they are loaded. Europeans and GM don't need another luxury brand. Ford is getting out of cars. My money is on the Chinese once the stock implodes. The valuation is unsustainable. Aramco IPO is going nowhere for now so I doubt the Saudi's are coming to the rescue.

We've been launching rockets forever too, but it wasn't until Elon Musk that cheaper, reusable rockets that can land upright became available. We have been charging batteries forever too, but until Tesla, no one in the automotive industry had produced any kind of such automotive batteries and/or electric cars like Tesla has.

Regarding Apple, what revolutionary tech did Apple invent? Personal computers were around before Apple came along, and so were cellphones before the iPhone. Apple executed on the concepts with existing technology and new developments and innovations they made to create truly unique products. Tesla has done the same. BTW, I am not myself comparing them with Apple, although I suppose they could be comparable to Apple's earlier years.

I agree that Tesla can be open to the wolves and should not be cocky.

Thanks Wheels you provided answers to every single thing I asked nothing about, asked a bunch more questions and avoided the answer to the only very simple question I asked, next stop for you is politics LOL

Thanks Wheels you provided answers to every single thing I asked nothing about, asked a bunch more questions and avoided the answer to the only very simple question I asked, next stop for you is politics LOL

Your original statement was the following:

I don't see Tesla as the new Apple, the tech existed around forever there is nothing innovative about it, the packaging is sleeker than the average but that's about it for me,

My point was that Apple is no different, their tech has been around forever too, just the particular execution hasn't. Same with Tesla. That is also why I used the rocket example. SpaceX has been very revolutionary, but "what technology did they invent?"

Your original statement was the following:

My point was that Apple is no different, their tech has been around forever too, just the particular execution hasn't. Same with Tesla. That is also why I used the rocket example. SpaceX has been very revolutionary, but "what technology did they invent?"

Go back and do more reading. Apple is no different LOL.

I assume cold weather is not a factor for the OP. I’ve heard different stories on how cold affects battery life (some say it’s not significant - some say it’s a deal breaker).

For those with winter and longer drives I would think “range anxiety” would be quite real.

"Stories" like this is what ruins the facts. Cold weather is a lot better for batteries than hot weather. You lose a small insignificant amount of energy in cold weather (1-2%), but the batteries lasts a lot longer.

Tesla the simply useless car company, they think they are Apple LOL

Go back and do more reading. Apple is no different LOL.

Fortis, you seem to compare Tesla to Apple a lot. A LOT. "They think they're the new Apple"? No, they don't think that. People compare them to Apple, that's a completely different thing.

What did they invent? If you want to look at their patents, look here. Is a patent an invention? Not necessarily, but aside from that they made the first car that's updated continuously through the cloud, the first car with a usable "autopilot", the first electric car that have a usable range for most people, the first car with an integrated web browser, the first supercharger network that covers all of USA and western Europe, the first mass produced electric car that puts just about any other car in the dust from 0-60mph, and a lot of other "firsts" that aren't necessarily inventions but that actually works.

The tech existed? It can be replicated by anyone? Well... what did Apple invent? What tech? Was it so revolutionary noone could replicate it? No, they mostly buy tech from other companies and put it in a nice package. Do you think Apple invented the smartphone? Tablets? Rounded icons? No, they were all around long before Apple made it work with other companies tech.

The tech for making electric cars have existed for over 100 years, but noone have done it properly until Tesla did it.

I will wait for Audi, Porsche and Benz to bring their full electric cars to the market, when that happens and I get proper factory back up with dealerships around the corner from my house governed by a properly run enterprise then if I like what I see I will buy, for now I am happy with my DD choices.
This was actually Elon Musks goal for Tesla, proving that electric cars are viable so other manufacturers would step up. They made all their patents available to everyone a few years ago.

Tesla do have issues, especially in their quality consistency and (at least where I am) service center capacity.

I'm on the list for both the Model 3, Audi eTron and Porsche Taycan, and will most likely end up with the Audi and the Porsche. But if it weren't for Tesla they (Porsche and Audi) wouldn't be making high end electric cars now, that's for sure.

But if it weren't for Tesla they (Porsche and Audi) wouldn't be making high end electric cars now, that's for sure.

For this alone, I'm grateful to Musk.

Thank you for the detailed explanation Placid, actually I think you misunderstood me, I don’t think at all that they are anything like Apple, Fikse compared them to Apple, so I followed up on his comment.

I actually think quite the opposite, they are nothing like Apple, that’s why I asked Wheels to draw comparisons in relation to tech.

After rereading it I can see how my comment “They think they are the new Apple” can be misconstrued apologies for that.

I was referring to the way Tesla staff act(ed) and the whole vibe and setting up of the event, their customer interface, very Apple like, keeping people lined up in the inclement weather in order to show them a piece of unimpressive kit, that’s why I got frustrated with the whole thing, it’s all about creating hype just like Apple does every September.

I wasn’t aware of that and that’s why I ended up in line like an idiot in the middle of a working day, that’s why I am frustrated.

Let me clarify I am not anti Tesla at the end of the day I did give them a deposit for the car and I wanted to buy it but their whole attitude and inability to deal with the simplest of tasks put me off.

BTW at least 2 other couples left while we were inline waiting. I am much better off buying from an established house.

As for their inventions, my exact point, Tesla took existing readily available tech refined it and repackaged it which is absolutely fine but refining tech isn’t quite the same as inventing tech, that’s the reason why I was arguing against the fact that Tesla is not the new Apple but it looks like, at least according to you, I came across exactly the opposite.

Back to the car, yesterday I had a meeting in the vicinity of the showroom which looked to be almost empty after the initial hype died down so I went in to have a look, the Model 3, not for me, it did not look better than a Mazda 3, I will sit tight until the other manufacturers bring something to the market.

You are a Tesla owner right? and by your own admission you will end up with Audi and/or Porsche, after seeing the cars I completely agree with your views, the only difference is that Tesla helped me make up my mind before I bought from them.

You are a Tesla owner right? and by your own admission you will end up with Audi and/or Porsche, after seeing the cars I completely agree with your views, the only difference is that Tesla helped me make up my mind before I bought from them.
Yes, I'm on my second Model S :) The main reason I think I'll end up with the Audi instead of a Model 3 or S is that Tesla's service capacity here is already maxed out. If I book service now I will probably get it January... A lot of people have their cars at Tesla for months waiting to be fixed. Luckily I have never had any major issues the five years and over 150,000 km driven, but if something should happen I'm afraid to think about the waiting time. And this is with only Model S and X in the market, when Model 3 is released I wouldn't be surprised if you have to wait 6 to 10 months for a service appointment.

The Porsche I'm getting either way!

Yes, I'm on my second Model S :) The main reason I think I'll end up with the Audi instead of a Model 3 or S is that Tesla's service capacity here is already maxed out. If I book service now I will probably get it January... A lot of people have their cars at Tesla for months waiting to be fixed. Luckily I have never had any major issues the five years and over 150,000 km driven, but if something should happen I'm afraid to think about the waiting time. And this is with only Model S and X in the market, when Model 3 is released I wouldn't be surprised if you have to wait 6 to 10 months for a service appointment.

The Porsche I'm getting either way!

I am hearing you, that’s what’s keeping me away from them, their overall approach to things as explained above, after sale is extremely important for me because I hate being inconvenienced, Mercedes and Audi have been exemplary Porsche not so much so it put me off Porsche, it’s the local dealer not the brand itself but you are only as good as your worst employee.

after sale is extremely important for me because I hate being inconvenienced... it’s the local dealer not the brand itself but you are only as good as your worst employee.

True words have been spoken. Unless someone invents a no-service-required-throughout-it-entire-life-cycle car, service is and will be inevitable. Exotics like Lamborghini's and Ferrari's I can tolerate somewhat because these aren't DD's and most of the regular services can be booked within 72hrs and performed in a day. Tesla's are suppose to be a regular DD with ambitions to be mainstream vehicles. Their production output, their quality control and their post-sales services are all lacking behind and far from an acceptable level. I could be readied for Tesla but Tesla isn't ready for me; hence I'll shop elsewhere.