Mid engine Corvette C8-R

Cabbe

Hope its real this time. Everyone has been saying mid engine Corvette for 20 years now at least. I think its real this time. Will be interesting to see what GM does with it.

Hope its real this time. Everyone has been saying mid engine Corvette for 20 years now at least. I think its real this time. Will be interesting to see what GM does with it.

Originally the 6th or 7th generation was supposed to be mid-engine, but due to the bankruptcy and government involvement, the idea was shelved.

I don’t think it’s going to be named a Corvette. We still have too many stereotypical “I don’t drive a Japanese because they bombed Pearl Harbor”-Chevy’s are THE American car”-“I don’t want no rear engine European type shit” types.

I don’t think it’s going to be named a Corvette. We still have too many stereotypical “I don’t drive a Japanese because they bombed Pearl Harbor”-Chevy’s are THE American car”-“I don’t want no rear engine European type shit” types.

Unfortunately you're probably right.

The tradition of the POS, like the 911, is one that requires the engine in the standard place. The mid engine car will have to be an additional offering, it cannot replace the front engine car.

What I'd love to see with the mid engined car is a GM interpretation on the chassis and handling dynamics. They've done a great job with front engine platforms, let's see what they can do with a more favorable engine location. The ZR1 isn't offering significant more real world performance over the Plastic mess-06 mostly because of the front engine platform.

This car should offer a traditional manual and a DCT, no torque converter automatic (save that for the front engine car).

A hopped up 7.0 liter LS7 would be amazing as a base engine, with the ZR1 as an option. I don't think a DOHC motor with a flat plane crank would be necessary or even ideal for the ethos of this car. Lingenfelter offers a somewhat conservative tuning package of 630 hp and 570 lb-ft of torque for an LS7 donor, so I imagine GM can do about the same. The ZR1 engine will be necessary because as you know the car industry has become a d*** measuring contest lately, even though I bet the naturally aspirated motor would be a better choice for driving on winding roads/tracks.

There was talk of making corvette a ‘brand’ and having sub models of which this would be one of them.

There was talk of making corvette a ‘brand’ and having sub models of which this would be one of them.

At this point, might as well be a brand.

When was the last time anyone actually called it a Chevy?

And I'm not sure there ever was a bowtie on one either.

If they do go this route, they can't have any cheap stuff. If they must have a cheaper car than their current baseline car, then put it on the Chevrolet brand.

At this point, might as well be a brand.

When was the last time anyone actually called it a Chevy?

And I'm not sure there ever was a bowtie on one either.

If they do go this route, they can't have any cheap stuff. If they must have a cheaper car than their current baseline car, then put it on the Chevrolet brand.

:iamwithstupid:

I’ve always though GM should start building a hyper car out of Cadillac, not Chevy. That brand could be so cool if they would just make some of their concepts instead of continuing to produce these weird baby boomer sedans that all look the same. Seriously, I would still buy a Cadillac Sixteen today.. and it’s a 15 yr old concept!

I’ve always though GM should start building a hyper car out of Cadillac, not Chevy. That brand could be so cool if they would just make some of their concepts instead of continuing to produce these weird baby boomer sedans that all look the same. Seriously, I would still buy a Cadillac Sixteen today.. and it’s a 15 yr old concept!

Caddy has made some epic cars in the last 15 years. I think the car I'd love to have would be the Ciel Concept (the roofless El Miraj)

Cadillac-Cien-Concept-exterior-02-720x300.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

post-8919-1534198989_thumb.jpg

post-8919-1534198995_thumb.jpg

Why they didn't build this one is beyond me. If you wanted to take it to Mercedes, this was it.

:iamwithstupid: That car is stunning and would be the perfect S Class Competitor

Why they didn't build this one is beyond me. If you wanted to take it to Mercedes, this was it.

That's the thing.

I'm not sure Cadillac or Lincoln can take it to Mercedes, even if they built a carbon copy of the next edition of the S class before MB did.

Somewhere in the late '70s thru '80s Mercedes took the luxury car mantle from Cadillac and it's never been the same for the American luxury car market. Only because the SUV-as-a-cool-ride was really popularized in America did the Escalade/Navigator do really well. America can make cool SUVs it seems but not sedans.

Americans are so status conscious with their brands that some things are just impossible, IMO.

The best Audi sedan built this millenium is probably the VW Phaeton, and it's no mystery why it flopped.

Lexus/Infiniti/Acura were all invented for the US market place.

I'd love to see a great Caddy concept become real, but GM is still probably not strong enough to give a high end car away.

Yellow.

Wow! Not good at all. Looks like Mazda and Ferrari had a bastard child.

Never been a fan of the C0rvette but the last 2 generations seem impressive enough to deserve a closer look. Not sure about this render. The current version is distinctive enough to be a C0rvette and nothing else. The render is just a mixed bag of copied motifs: Ferrari, Mazda, Acura etc... and they take away the unique American styling which a C0rvette should have.