N/A V12 Brinksmanship

capt_chaos

Lambo will blink first. They are more "cutting edge" than Ferrari. And will do so in the guise of being progressive. Ferrari is more stoggy and purist in their pursuits. Can see them hanging on to the ‘old fashioned’ because that’s they way they used to do it.

Lamborghini is already off and onto aero and weight battle so they’ll dump the v12 first.

I don't personally think either of them dumps the platform. I think they will always have a flagship car that dons the V12, I mean Lambo didn't even dump the ISR gearbox in favor of the much more desirable dual clutch. It's their DNA.

I don't personally think either of them dumps the platform. I think they will always have a flagship car that dons the V12, I mean Lambo didn't even dump the ISR gearbox in favor of the much more desirable dual clutch. It's their DNA.

This is actually a very fascinating question...I can see your point above, but if I was a betting man I'd say that Ferrari would blink first. They leapt on the Hybrid Hypercar train quickly, and for Ferrari making a V12 car is part of their tradition, but with there highly diverse product line I could see them dropping the V12 since they only use it in the limited edition Hypercars and their top of the line GT and it would be more cost effective to utilize their V8's across the line.

Place your bets everyone!

Lambo is adding electric motors to the V12 that’s a very long term solution which pleases the vegans and the tree huggers, the V12 will stay for a very long time, it’s the differentiator, they can not afford to dump it.

McLaren’s life is much easier, you could buy a bicycle from them they will give you exactly the same motor.

If we are talking about using pure NA ICE V12 power alone, then didn't Ferrari blinked already with their ThethetheFerrari? Eliminating the V12 is an entirely different matter.

Maurizio Reggiani, Lambo's R&D's head, already and recently stated that as long as he's in charge of R&D, Lambo's sports cars will continue to be powered by V12 & V10. It's just a matter of adding chargers or electric motors to the existing ICE power-plants. Reggiani is doing a great job and he seems happy about it so I doubt there will be a change of direction or personnel for quite a while. Lambo is too tiny of a manufacturer to make major bold moves. They will tinker with weight, aero, suspension and steering but no way are they in any position to replace a power-plant altogether; unless VAG/Audi decree them to do so. And to maintain the aura of the Lamborghini brand, VAG/Audi will be stupid to make such an abrupt change. They would likely try something brand new on Audi & Porsche first. So the V12 would likely stay for quite a while in one form or the other.

I think Ferrari will dump the V12 first. They were the first to embrace the turbo. They are in F1. I think Ferrari are more technically advanced and Lamborghini is more about flash and emotion.