Condensation in headlight

murcivu

Search for a thread related to this if you haven't already. I recall a few people referring to this as a common side effect. Remove the glass, clean and polish and reinstall. Good to go.

Search for a thread related to this if you haven't already. I recall a few people referring to this as a common side effect. Remove the glass, clean and polish and reinstall. Good to go.

I have read about it. But having to carefully take apart the lens, that worrisome.

This is on my to-do list, but keeps getting pushed down as I get tied up with other car projects.

It's not an easy fix unless you pay someone to do it (around $2K from what I remember of some guy that does it), or fork out $15K to Lambo for new units. Tedious work, but that glass is pretty strong stuff, so unless you do something really stupid, it won't break.

I met up with Nick Naylor over the weekend. Super knowledgeable guy on the headlights (and the Murci in general). Definitely shoot him an email if you're thinking about doing anything with the headlights.

• 2 months later...

It’s not for everyone but it’s not impossible.  I did just what stimpy said. Pulled off glass, cleaned inside and had the glass professionally polished.  Then resealed.  Very happy with the results.  With elbow grease, I spent less than $50 on all supplies and about $100 polishing the glass.  Not bad for a few days work. 

EEBA2253-C15D-45EB-B8F9-6056AA7E7A44.jpeg

84F43558-0A59-4C17-9606-A46E7E0B5619.jpeg

E49AB261-5EBC-49CA-9FF8-AADBC79E90C0.jpeg

Inahi, what was your approach to cutting through the factory glue holding the glass to the housing? It's a tongue and groove design, so it's not clear what's the best way to cut through it.

Hi stimpy.   It’s not actually tongue and grove.  It’s just a channel.  I used a very thin flexible blade to cut under the weatherstrip.  This took the longest.   I can send pics.  Noncutting at all.  Once cleaned, I baked the lense and used Japanese automotive butyl sealer.    

The blade used is same as one that is used to cult seal on iPhone for glass removal.   

2 hours ago, Inahi said:

Hi stimpy.   It’s not actually tongue and grove.  It’s just a channel.  I used a very thin flexible blade to cut under the weatherstrip.  This took the longest.   I can send pics.  Noncutting at all.  Once cleaned, I baked the lense and used Japanese automotive butyl sealer.    

The blade used is same as one that is used to cult seal on iPhone for glass removal.   

Thanks! I bought that "spudger" in anticipation of this job from your recommendation. It looks like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/TOOLISESAMO-iSesamo-Electronic-Device-Repair/dp/B00792JJK4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1542257502&sr=8-4&keywords=iSesamo+genuine+spudger+repair+opening+pry+tool

Do you have a close up pic of the glass cover from the bottom showing the design of the glass edge where the factory glue is applied?

You’re in luck.  I happen to have a brand new set of glass.  I bought in anticipation of cracking the glass when I tried to separate the assembly. 

Heres some close up pics.  The pic is of glass up side down.  As you can see, there’s only a channel where the glass sits and is held in by the seal

goos luck !!

On 7/3/2018 at 12:52 PM, THIRDGEN said:

Got the full kit on classifieds for a great price.

C5D99961-5C90-44BF-85B0-352AA7B43A38.jpeg

8958D444-D3D5-4476-B1B9-FFF62A74037A.jpeg

0D18070B-6BFC-429A-9CF2-B434129B9583.jpeg

ADEF1035-2080-4659-BA61-F165A474FC38.jpeg

09B0B9C0-7461-42E8-A7D8-DEB95E43AFBC.jpeg

74BFD4B2-2D30-4DD9-9B17-2DBB4FB81D51.jpeg

979EDE7B-CB19-463F-84B1-133919DF615F.jpeg

F0E026FE-CB21-4A40-9239-E5BA16381181.jpeg

It’s a bit scary at first but since I had new glass, I had a plan B.  Luckily I successfully replaced without breaking glass or plastic.  Once you do one side. The other side is easier.  It still took about 1.5 hours a side to take apart and clean.  But well worth the effort since the results are amazing. 

I hate seeing murcs with fogged up lenses.  Makes these awesome machines look old and not well kept    I’d volunteer to do them if I had the time.   

That turned out fantastic.  I'll have to let my friend know about this post.  Not sure if I'll be confident enough to tackle this myself if my lens ever fogs up.

I used morimoto butyl seal to attach glass back onto assembly.  Worked like a charm.  No leaks or fogging.  It’s been almost. Year since I did the job. 

007B5D29-5044-401E-89AA-F177A7CADB65.png

From my understanding, the original glue for the glass is more of a silicon base that will not soften with heat like other manufacturer's headlight's glue. 

Also, the headlight housing is not sealed from the atmosphere. It has 5 vent openings at the bottom, so you are not trying to get an airtight seal when putting the glass back on. The glass wraps around the plastic light housing, and then the body wraps around the glass, so water ingress is not an issue. The housing is held from the bottom, and the glass can't be removed from the top so even if the glass came loose it can't go anywhere.

The main thing is to glue the glass on so that it's easy to get off again, because this job will likely need to be done again in the future.

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 6:05 AM, porter said:

Very common issue with Murcielagos. 

If its so common shouldn't it be a factory defect that the dealerships should take care of? Probably not, but I don't know what makes something a manufacture defect or not. Not even sure why this happens on the inside of the glass, maybe heat change from using the lights? Will need to check mine to see if I have it. Its odd, it seems it also takes extensive polishing to remove it.