So What Happened?! Details Inside

Destructo

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, ameer said:

Thank you everyone involved in this endeavor. I panicked a little the last time I tried accessing the forum, thanks for the updates. My only suggestion would be the black/gold theme if it's possible on the new platform. The white one is a bit heavy on the eyes.

I'm glad things are moving along!

Have a great weekend everyone!

I also thing think keeping the Black/gold theme would be a great homage to the forum...and it does makes things easier on the eyes.

Excellent work so far!

18 hours ago, Supercar Ace said:

I also thing think keeping the Black/gold theme would be a great homage to the forum...and it does makes things easier on the eyes.

Excellent work so far!

:iamwithstupid:

On 9/22/2018 at 6:05 PM, capt_chaos said:

You know that is there?  Top right. 

Not when you are using it on the mobile.

11 minutes ago, Placid said:

Top right menu -> Activity -> Unread Content ;)

Yes i got that but 2 clicks is far too time consuming :P

Should be 1 and done.

2 hours ago, LA_Brit said:

Not when you are using it on the mobile.

The blue newspaper at the top is unread content. Does default to unread in the last year but you can change it.

1 hour ago, LA_Brit said:

Yes i got that but 2 clicks is far too time consuming :P

Should be 1 and done.

Where are the photos of that gay ass blue car you got?

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 10:01 PM, Destructo said:

Had to trim the fat a bit, we’ve had far too many forum sections. So we are going lean, just one of many, if that’s helps you feel any better?

I am fine, trust me, no hard or hurt feelings at all.

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 12:20 PM, capt_chaos said:

Wheels.  See this as your one chance and one chance only to be in the main fold.  One chance.  You need to remember you don't have much goodwill with many members and even less with me.  Destructo and I have a truckload of crap to work through in the next month or so, I don't want handle complaints centred around you.  No questions just think about it.

Coolbeans

This may be a stupid question, why do all this custom development? There are 1,000's of forums, I'm sure there are some bulletproof up to date off the shelf solutions. This seems to a slow, expensive and potentially unreliable solution. 

2 minutes ago, kinnsella said:

This may be a stupid question, why do all this custom development? There are 1,000's of forums, I'm sure there are some bulletproof up to date off the shelf solutions. This seems to a slow, expensive and potentially unreliable solution. 

I can't speak for what the Lambopower guys have done, but this (IPS Community Suite) is an off the shelf solution. The tricky part is migrating the old forum to a new version, especially when it's probably over a decade old.

Just because there was an off the shelf product there has are buckets of data to slowly upgrade and wade through and literally years of technical debt to catch up with.  We have jobs so are not going to sit there and watching things upgrade and we want to do bits right. 

We also have some feature plans to work out.  

If we started again, yes, we could use lots of different frameworks out there to build what we want with relative ease but what we have here that is gold is data.  Starting from scratch you would lose that.  

• 2 weeks later...

Did we really lose this much from the board. I have not opened this in a week or two and we have about two or three new posts on most active threads since that and other than that it is dead. :O

1 hour ago, rmtn said:

Did we really lose this much from the board. I have not opened this in a week or two and we have about two or three new posts on most active threads since that and other than that it is dead. :O

It was a big blow, I won’t lie about it. And in the interim, other than the Facebook secret group, we haven’t notified or published that were back up and running. 

Once we have some other updates in place we’ll email blast all the registered users about being back up and running. We’ll always have to rely on current members pushing the good word as well. 

But that’s where we’re at right now.