So What Happened?! Details Inside

Destructo

12 hours ago, ihsteven said:

Can I make a suggestion for you Rory and the team at Lpower..  Anyone in DevOps or IT infrastructure would cringe at making site changes to a production environment without testing/QA in a staging environment prior.  I know I posted in the other thread about making backups before you guys took this site offline for 2 weeks, but I doubt that happened, which is why there are lost posts etc..  My suggestion would be to put an identical version of this site (on a different database) so you can test your changes on say dev.lambopower.com (create an ACL so it doesn't get indexed or accessed by anyone except for you and the other admins) before propagating them to prod.  Additionally, you should always have backups and a regression plan in the event things go south like they clearly did the past few weeks. 

If you want some help, let me know. 

-Steven

:icon_thumleft: Thanks for the info. 

The short version. Our IT partner is building the new version offline on another server, where they will test and develop before launch. We’ll also be having very regular backups and maintenance to the site with 2.0.

great food for thought though, and we may just shoot some questions your way. We appreciate the willingness to help!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, topjay said:

Is it me or is the current layout hard to navigate and almost impossible to easily read?

Can’t  even abuse the spammers properly 

Hardly where we want it to be, but we wanted something up for the interim. It’s not bad as you get the exposure. Especially if you haven’t changed themes or views in years. That is an adjustment!

1 hour ago, Placid said:

You should have asked me for help :D

I have quite a lot of experience with IPS running on a dedicated server, so if you have any specific issues I'd be happy to help if it's up my alley.

Seems you got the most crucial part done though, happy to see it's migrated successfully!

Awesome! Thank you. We haven’t migrated to the new site yet, we’ll update for when that happens. For now we have the back up we are running on, so it’ll suffice for now.

1 minute ago, Destructo said:

Hardly where we want it to be, but we wanted something up for the interim. It’s not bad as you get the exposure. Especially if you haven’t changed themes or views in years. That is an adjustment!

I don't know if you're going to make a theme of your own from scratch or base it on a pre-made one, but I would recommend checking out TAMAN's themes. They're really well made and customizable, and the creator is very supportive.

13 minutes ago, Placid said:

I don't know if you're going to make a theme of your own from scratch or base it on a pre-made one, but I would recommend checking out TAMAN's themes. They're really well made and customizable, and the creator is very supportive.

Good stuff! I’ll make sure to pass it along. 

3 hours ago, Placid said:

Just FYI, I still hate you.

8 hours ago, topjay said:

Is it me or is the current layout hard to navigate and almost impossible to easily read?

Can’t  even abuse the spammers properly 

:iamwithstupid:Same, I find the whiteness makes it harder to navigate and read.

The message that was up was funny: "LamboPower will be back in a few hours..." That was up the whole time!

Also I notice you got rid of Wheels World :icon_butt::icon_butt::s-minigun:

(just kidding there seriously, I know that it was pretty inactive)

1 hour ago, WheelsRCool said:

The message that was up was funny: "LamboPower will be back in a few hours..." That was up the whole time!

well, to be fair, there are 168 hours in a week. relatively speaking that is a 'few' compared to the 8760 hours in a year

3 hours ago, WheelsRCool said:

:iamwithstupid:Same, I find the whiteness makes it harder to navigate and read.

It takes a bit to get used to, but the black and gold will be back with 2.0. 

17 minutes ago, MrDoctor said:

The new look is too clean. Confusing. I actually liked the only black/yellow theme. Also, can we get a "view new posts" button? K. Thnx. Bye. :icon_super:

Noted! It’ll definitely be in 2.0.

3 hours ago, WheelsRCool said:

Had to trim the fat a bit, we’ve had far too many forum sections. So we are going lean, just one of many, if that’s helps you feel any better?

7 hours ago, MrDoctor said:

The new look is too clean. Confusing. I actually liked the only black/yellow theme. Also, can we get a "view new posts" button? K. Thnx. Bye. :icon_super:

Top right -> "Unread Content" link ;) 

1 hour ago, Placid said:

Top right -> "Unread Content" link ;) 

And you can change what the filter is on that as well. Just change the filter, save it, and then tick it when you use it to be your "favourite"

Thank you everyone involved in this endeavor. I panicked a little the last time I tried accessing the forum, thanks for the updates. My only suggestion would be the black/gold theme if it's possible on the new platform. The white one is a bit heavy on the eyes.

I'm glad things are moving along!

Have a great weekend everyone!

17 hours ago, WheelsRCool said:

Wheels.  See this as your one chance and one chance only to be in the main fold.  One chance.  You need to remember you don't have much goodwill with many members and even less with me.  Destructo and I have a truckload of crap to work through in the next month or so, I don't want handle complaints centred around you.  No questions just think about it.

Transition is always tough.  Glad LP is back and fingers-crossed that a new and better version will be coming forth soon.

Keep up the good work.