DIY Starter Replacement

LW Lambo

I recently changed my starter.  It is possible to do with the engine in without cutting or damaging anything although it was difficult.  Having been through the exercise, I know the tricks now to make it easier.  Here is the process:

-List of tools:  2 36mm open end wrench, 33mm open end wrench, endoscope, small wooden dowel, 19mm open end wrench, short 17mm 12 point socket 3/8" drive, 3/8" drive ratchet, several different length 3/8" extensions, inspection mirror, cheater iron pipe 12" long that can fit over the 19mm wrench, cheater iron pipe 18" long that can fit over the 36mm wrench, cheater copper pipe 12" long that can fit over the ratchet and 36mm wrench.

Starter removal tools.jpg

-Remove the oil lines clamp.  It holds the 2 oil lines together. Remember to use a sharpie to mark its orientation to the 2 hoses.

-Disconnect the oil line that runs lengthwise to the car.  It's connected to the oil cooler.  36mm open end wrench with cheater bar on the oil line and 36mm wrench to hold the fitting to the pan

-Disconnect the same oil line from the oil cooler.  36mm with cheater bar on the line and 33mm on the oil cooler side.  This fitting is right underneath the batter tray.

-Pivot the oil line out of the way so you can access the starter.

IMG_4089.jpg

IMG_4103.jpg

IMG_4104.jpg

IMG_4094.jpg

Loosen the 19mm bottom nut that holds the starter with open end wrench.  This is a captive nut so you cannot remove it all the way.  You have to loosen it first and then loosen the top nut.  As you slowly move the starter backward, you can unthread the bottom nut all the way out.

IMG_4121.jpg

THIS IS THE TRICKIEST PART!!!  The top nut is 17mm and NOT 19mm and you can't see it.

-Remove the 17mm top nut that holds the starter with 3/8" drive with 2 connected extensions and a 12-point 17mm socket

Tips:  -Use camera to look at top nut by looping it through the front top left of the starter

-Use inspection mirror and flashlight to look at top nut from the rear top of the starter

-Use wooden dowel as a guide so you can recognize the correct nut and distance when viewing it in the camera

-Use 3/8 drive and 12 point socket to have more wiggle room.  It is very tight in there

- Use cheater bar over ratchet because ratchet is too short to put your hand on it inside the cavity

IMG_4132.jpg

IMG_4150.jpg

IMG_4155.JPG

IMG_4151.jpg

IMG_4152.jpg

Remove starter.  It will slide through between the heat shield and the engine.  It will just barely fit through.

Installation is the reverse order.  However, prep work must be done on the starter to help you get the top nut threaded in easier.

Tip:  Glue the washer to the starter for the top nut.  Tape the 17mm nut to the socket. leaving it protruding out 1/4" to make easier contact with the stud to thread in.  Mark the starter with tape and a straight line to aid in alignment of the top nut and stud.

The other cheater bars is for leverage when removing the oil line.  My car was not on the lift so I did not have much leverage.  The copper cheater bar is for tightening.  It is soft enough to deform instead of overtightening the nut.

IMG_4154.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I just had the exhaust manifolds out and the starter would be very easy to replace with the driver side manifolds removed. Engine in, but takes a significant amount of time to remove and replace the manifolds.

44495792744_a9e7ebafcc_z.jpg

18 hours ago, whiteout said:

I just had the exhaust manifolds out and the starter would be very easy to replace with the driver side manifolds removed. Engine in, but takes a significant amount of time to remove and replace the manifolds.

44495792744_a9e7ebafcc_z.jpg

What was involved to remove the manifold?  Is the left side harder to remove than the right side?  The left side seems to be more crowded.

17 hours ago, LW Lambo said:

What was involved to remove the manifold?  Is the left side harder to remove than the right side?  The left side seems to be more crowded.

Remove secondary cat/muffler section, remove primary cat pipe, remove y-pipe from manifolds, remove rear manifold, remove motor mount bolts & rear diff mount bolts and use a piece of wood to move the engine a few inches to get the front manifold out of the car. Passenger side comes out with some wiggling. 

3 hours ago, darth sidious said:

How do you bookmark topics / threads on here?

Top right, a little below your log in information shows a "follow" button. Click that. 

23 minutes ago, Destructo said:

Top right, a little below your log in information shows a "follow" button. Click that. 

Got it. Thank you

Same / similar as the subscribe feature on the pre Sept 18 forum version?

Another point - I am not sure which is the least desirable - good reputation, bad reputation or no reputation. Probably no reputation suggesting a Mr beige or Mr bland personality. 

Worryingly, I appear to have no reputation.

• 6 months later...

I wanted to add to this excellent thread from the OP and add my observations as I just did this starter replacement yesterday on my 07 LP640. Like most here the starter itself did not fail but the solenoid did. Clicking.

1. I did not remove the e-brake cable as it was not in the way to remove the starter.

2. I only removed the oil cooler line at the engine sump and tie wrapped it back.

3. For the 36MM wrenches, you can use Ford/Dodge fan wrenches that are 36mm. On amazon $20 each.

4. You do not have to take out the battery unless you disconnect the oil line completely, but I did not as #2 above. /i did take it out to inspect it though.

5. Both nuts on my starter were 17MM

The procedure went well as expected. 

1. Jack car up, high as you can get it. Lift system up to maximize height.
  2. Remove LR wheel and inner liner.
  3. I removed the triangle plastic covering the sump drain as I wanted to inspect, though not required.
  4. Disconnect battery
  5. Drain engine oil, tank and sump. Leave oil filter on till end of job.
  6. Remove double hose clamp from oil lines.
  7. Disconnect oil line from sump as shown above in OP post, tie wrap to other oil line remaining.
  8. Let oil drain for a while from the hose, place plastic baggie over end of oil line otherwise you WILL be wearing oil.
  9. Remove electrical from starter.
  10. Loosen bottom nut from starter.

You MUST and I repeat MUST get a bore scope camera. On mine with the heat shield and the upgraded factory starter it is impossible to see the top starter nut otherwise. Additionally the newer style starter has the starter housing bolts in line as the OP shows with the tape. You will never get it done otherwise IMHO.

It was a fight with the top nut getting it off. Going on much better as I used some clay in the socket to hold the nut and on the universal joint I used blue tape to make the swivel stiffer. Also ran the extension back to the rear to get more leverage on the ratchet.

Steps 1-8 above took 45 minutes with no hurry, 9,10 and the finish took 2 hours due to fighting the top nut.

Not a hard job by any means, but be prepared to fight that top nut.

1 hour ago, Old Guy Garage said:

If anyone is interested in a newly rebuilt starter.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/323799427065

Is this just a vendor you found selling rebuilt starters, or have you used them before and know their good?

They say there's a core charge, but don't say the amount and if that's extra or included in the $1095 price?

I know "they" are good. It's mine, should have clarified it further. In a past life I used to be an ASE certified mechanic.

As I knew my starter was failing I sourced a good used starter that I rebuilt using new parts, same as the one offered, then I swapped it out with my original when the time came. Then rebuilt this one. The unit has been completely gone though as described. The biggest fail of these Murci starters is the solenoid. That's why you get the clicking when trying to engage the starter with a fully charged battery. I sourced two quality solenoids which are pretty much unobtainable for these starters.

Very robust starter in general and is planetary driven too.