Movie review: First Man

TestShoot

First review on the new board!

We had a screening at IMAX tonight so I took a seat and hung out for the very rushed 2+ hours.

The movie rushes through major historic moments, and you see Neil reading papers, babbling science, but never to anybody but himself. People constantly died, they mention it for a minute or two, but the show goes on. Politically, it is a "mankind" film, there is very little acknowledgement of the US and THE fcuking FLAG ON THE MOON IS NOT IN THE MOVIE. This pissed me off quite a bit. I mean, talk about an iconic image, politics aside.

Visually it is great, great gear was out for the final big lunar sequence and the sound design here, along with the visuals in general are quite amazing. It only really should win for the visuals, there is very little acting done in this film. So you wonder is Ryan Gossling a terrible actor, or was Armstrong an emotionless robot like a potted plant. You really take the shine off Neil watching this. The cameras are constantly in motion, which makes sense in a floaty-weightless way. Many sequences are super grainy and feel like old home movies, and practically nothing is ever fully in focus, with the exception of the wedding ring on his finger. They really really really felt that needed special treatment. I mean, I got that impression 10 minutes in and when he was not in gloves, there it was.

The supporting cast were there, and present, in the moment, but it felt like they were acting alongside a mannequin.

It's worth seeing, def in IMAX but overall it is no "The Right Stuff"

They can fcuk right off with the Flag business.   

I'll wait for it to show up on netflix and see if it can keep my attention.  Speaking of netflix, check out Joe Rogans new standup special, it's hilarious.