STS STS Exhaust noteExhaust  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Does it sound great or horrible?

• Great! I love it!
    • Dear Lord that’s awful, make it stop.

So there is a STS in the video, one of my favorite production Lamborghini’s. I’m having a hard time deciding if sounds good or if it’s been ruined. 

Skip to the 8:10 mark to get right to the Lamborghini. There also seems to be a bit of creative liberty taken with some of the parts and work done on it. I’m not going to judge, but I’ll let you decide. 

7 hours ago, E7ITE said:

Isn't that an LP members car?

I know which one you are thinking of and I don’t believe it’s the same. To be fair, this car could be a member as well, but not sure on that point either.

I am pretty sure its the owner I met in Dubai. Car is an STS and he has managed to get the factory to sell him key components to convert it to the race car version. Drove it then he drifted the hell out of it through an industrial district after it was closed and the cops were gone (so, yeah, it was dark). Great driver but holy hell, is insanity on the streets. Car is legitimately well constructed.  Was surprised to see it was in Canada though.

10 hours ago, Destructo said:

I know which one you are thinking of and I don’t believe it’s the same. To be fair, this car could be a member as well, but not sure on that point either.

This is Vahid's car and he is indeed an LP member.  It does sound mental and as far as mods go he has done an awesome job of sticking with factory components. This car was also the original Kabob (I actually mean kebab) (I actually mean kebab) platter STS wing.

Had to spell kebab that way just to see if the filters carried over. Nice to see they still work and the emoticons carried over.:lol2:

3 hours ago, AudiBull said:

This is Vahid's car and he is indeed an LP member.  It does sound mental and as far as mods go he has done an awesome job of sticking with factory components. This car was also the original Kabob (I actually mean kebab) (I actually mean kebab) platter STS wing.

Had to spell kebab that way just to see if the filters carried over. Nice to see they still work and the emoticons carried over.:lol2:

I didn’t know he came back to N/A, but that’s cool. Get him back on here, the video, at least to me doesn’t explain the system well. And I’m sure the video doesn’t do it justice. I’d like to hear some more before rendering an opinion. 

8 hours ago, E7ITE said:

I thought he got Kreisseig to make him some custom exhaust components?

I'd have to watch it again to see if it's more clear, but it sounds like whomever in the video claims there is some sort of "echo chamber" on the exhaust, while also running "without headers" which, you can't just run open bank heads and not some major issues. Hence my confusion with the system. I'd love to hear it in person because it appears to absolutely bonkers, i'm just not convinced the audio of the recording does it any justice. 

I've heard in other videos it's a custom kreissieg valveless exhaust with iPE catless headers. I also never heard those crazy pops in any other previous videos of the car. I'm guessing that's just a result of messing with the tune?

11 hours ago, Destructo said:

I'd have to watch it again to see if it's more clear, but it sounds like whomever in the video claims there is some sort of "echo chamber" on the exhaust, while also running "without headers" which, you can't just run open bank heads and not some major issues. Hence my confusion with the system. I'd love to hear it in person because it appears to absolutely bonkers, i'm just not convinced the audio of the recording does it any justice. 

Well no mic can properly record the sound of it without clipping. There is no way to understand what it sounds like unless you hear it in person. The pops can be felt through your body even if ear plugs are used. I would vote sounds horrible judging from that video.

I will try to explain my work as detailed as I can. If there is something specific you would like to know just ask.

I'm only 70% done with the car, there are few other factory parts which I need to modify as it is either poorly designed since it was made for their race car and quality really doesn't matter when it comes to race cars, specially the CF quality they use. There are also some other parts which I don't like which I'm trying to do my own interpretation of them by modifying the factory parts.

It will be very long if I want to explain what I exactly did but I will try keep it short and detailed...

Design wise, I loved the front of the V1 version of the original Super Trofeo Race car and hated the V2 front, thought there was too much going on and way too much downforce for street use and adding a 3rd radiator was really not necessary and losing the front boot was just not what I had in mind. For the rear, it was the other way around for me. I loved the V2 but I hated something about it which is what I have been trying to design for the past year. The rear is whats left for the car to be complete. My idea was the V1 Race car front with the V2 rear but my own interpretation of the rear. But that would not work if it's not done properly, the V1 front bumper does not produce as much DF as the V2, the V2 rear is obviously balancing out the rear with that bigger wing and underbody fins. So I had to first understand if it was even possible to balance the car if I even went through with the rear.

I had long conversations with factory test drivers who were kind enough to guide me regarding the cars balance in terms of downforce, alignment and etc. Directing the air through the radiators requires custom work with factory parts as the race car does not have AC and the vents and covers from the race car will not fit to guide the air properly and without them you get front uplift. That was a big pain. One of the reasons I take the car around the world was because of the issues I was facing while doing the conversion, it was either cut the shit out of the parts and just have a car that looks like the race car without caring about the aero performance of the car, or it was modifying parts in a way that the car would perform unlike anything else in its league, specially in its cornering abilities. So I kept meeting someone somewhere in the world that could help me with some of the parts and I simply took the car there so its done right. We even improved on many of the factory parts as we went along.

So this was my aero challenges which is still going on but I hope I can finish it by the end of the year.

Now the goodies, I use a custom one off Kreissieg exhaust which took months to develop and the engine came out and replaced the headers to go fully catless. I used the factory straight pipes but it sounded well just like the race car, I hated it. The Krsg box with those headers is something truly special and we get a little back pressure vs straight so kinda helps with torque and you get music all the way in the rev range not to mention its 2x louder than the race car. Car has the same airboxes from the race car which pulls in so much air that exceeds the MAF sensors calculated upper limit. That was a interesting one too. The race car has straight pipes so the airbox pipes went under the wing, I had the Krsg so it wouldn't fit and again had to go through shit to make it work.

The dash, paddle shifters and wheel...I would not do it again if I have to go through it once more. It requires so much work. I mean just having the paddles aligned at a certain gap between the wheel is 2 days work. Then aligning the wheel, gotta change the whole steering column otherwise no TC, I don't use it anyway but then again, it went against the projects initial idea. The car depends on the steering wheel angle info for launch control so it had to be done right. Dashboard doesn't show fuel level because of regulations for the race series, custom firmware was developed, firmware was fucked, had to redevelop. 4 month project just for that, I own a good share in DHL just for shipping to Italy and back! Of course some amazing and patient people have been working with me and I thank them all the time. Then the car wouldn't start, cause the Race car has no immobiliser obviously so fcuk and fcuk and fcuking fcuk. Custom monitor to get factory TPMS info and have the wiper buttons that control the screen functional.

Springs, I was initially gonna use the factory but after Alex at SP installed the Swift springs for me and I compared them with the race car, it was perfect for the street and the track. Thanks again to Alex! Amazing guy, I can listen to him talk about cars for days!

Custom radiators from the factory, Dubai temps and my driving was a great combo for radiator development. Custom thermostats as well. Always open, takes forever to warm up the damn car.

Custom stainless steel braided brake lines by my friend Ivan from Singapore from a Japanese brake company. That in combination with Castrol SRF and the Carbon ceramic brakes really makes the braking performance shine for some mountain roads. Racing spark plugs, custom alignment by Tony at BBI, I heard he has opened his own shop, wish him all the best!

And lastly, the ECU, 3 months of development, flashing and testing everyday. When you modify a car this much, if you don't have a custom tuner with crazy knowledge of the Bosch MED9 ECU and skills to understand what you want and what the car is doing, everything will fall apart. The ECU tune is what will bring all these mods together if done correctly, without it, all the hardware mods are useless. I am still working with my good friend and we are still improving it everyday, torque curve, power, how the engine behaves, how it starts, how it adapts, everything. It's a never ending story.

These are the basics, so many other fine details, many other parts and work has been done and a lot is still in the works...

I just started a Youtube channel, have some videos of the car over there...

https://www.youtube.com/StigsPersianCousin

10 hours ago, Vahid said:

Well no mic can properly record the sound of it without clipping. There is no way to understand what it sounds like unless you hear it in person. The pops can be felt through your body even if ear plugs are used. I would vote sounds horrible judging from that video.

I will try to explain my work as detailed as I can. If there is something specific you would like to know just ask.

I'm only 70% done with the car, there are few other factory parts which I need to modify as it is either poorly designed since it was made for their race car and quality really doesn't matter when it comes to race cars, specially the CF quality they use. There are also some other parts which I don't like which I'm trying to do my own interpretation of them by modifying the factory parts.

It will be very long if I want to explain what I exactly did but I will try keep it short and detailed...

Design wise, I loved the front of the V1 version of the original Super Trofeo Race car and hated the V2 front, thought there was too much going on and way too much downforce for street use and adding a 3rd radiator was really not necessary and losing the front boot was just not what I had in mind. For the rear, it was the other way around for me. I loved the V2 but I hated something about it which is what I have been trying to design for the past year. The rear is whats left for the car to be complete. My idea was the V1 Race car front with the V2 rear but my own interpretation of the rear. But that would not work if it's not done properly, the V1 front bumper does not produce as much DF as the V2, the V2 rear is obviously balancing out the rear with that bigger wing and underbody fins. So I had to first understand if it was even possible to balance the car if I even went through with the rear.

I had long conversations with factory test drivers who were kind enough to guide me regarding the cars balance in terms of downforce, alignment and etc. Directing the air through the radiators requires custom work with factory parts as the race car does not have AC and the vents and covers from the race car will not fit to guide the air properly and without them you get front uplift. That was a big pain. One of the reasons I take the car around the world was because of the issues I was facing while doing the conversion, it was either cut the shit out of the parts and just have a car that looks like the race car without caring about the aero performance of the car, or it was modifying parts in a way that the car would perform unlike anything else in its league, specially in its cornering abilities. So I kept meeting someone somewhere in the world that could help me with some of the parts and I simply took the car there so its done right. We even improved on many of the factory parts as we went along.

So this was my aero challenges which is still going on but I hope I can finish it by the end of the year.

Now the goodies, I use a custom one off Kreissieg exhaust which took months to develop and the engine came out and replaced the headers to go fully catless. I used the factory straight pipes but it sounded well just like the race car, I hated it. The Krsg box with those headers is something truly special and we get a little back pressure vs straight so kinda helps with torque and you get music all the way in the rev range not to mention its 2x louder than the race car. Car has the same airboxes from the race car which pulls in so much air that exceeds the MAF sensors calculated upper limit. That was a interesting one too. The race car has straight pipes so the airbox pipes went under the wing, I had the Krsg so it wouldn't fit and again had to go through shit to make it work.

The dash, paddle shifters and wheel...I would not do it again if I have to go through it once more. It requires so much work. I mean just having the paddles aligned at a certain gap between the wheel is 2 days work. Then aligning the wheel, gotta change the whole steering column otherwise no TC, I don't use it anyway but then again, it went against the projects initial idea. The car depends on the steering wheel angle info for launch control so it had to be done right. Dashboard doesn't show fuel level because of regulations for the race series, custom firmware was developed, firmware was fucked, had to redevelop. 4 month project just for that, I own a good share in DHL just for shipping to Italy and back! Of course some amazing and patient people have been working with me and I thank them all the time. Then the car wouldn't start, cause the Race car has no immobiliser obviously so fcuk and fcuk and fcuking fcuk. Custom monitor to get factory TPMS info and have the wiper buttons that control the screen functional.

Springs, I was initially gonna use the factory but after Alex at SP installed the Swift springs for me and I compared them with the race car, it was perfect for the street and the track. Thanks again to Alex! Amazing guy, I can listen to him talk about cars for days!

Custom radiators from the factory, Dubai temps and my driving was a great combo for radiator development. Custom thermostats as well. Always open, takes forever to warm up the damn car.

Custom stainless steel braided brake lines by my friend Ivan from Singapore from a Japanese brake company. That in combination with Castrol SRF and the Carbon ceramic brakes really makes the braking performance shine for some mountain roads. Racing spark plugs, custom alignment by Tony at BBI, I heard he has opened his own shop, wish him all the best!

And lastly, the ECU, 3 months of development, flashing and testing everyday. When you modify a car this much, if you don't have a custom tuner with crazy knowledge of the Bosch MED9 ECU and skills to understand what you want and what the car is doing, everything will fall apart. The ECU tune is what will bring all these mods together if done correctly, without it, all the hardware mods are useless. I am still working with my good friend and we are still improving it everyday, torque curve, power, how the engine behaves, how it starts, how it adapts, everything. It's a never ending story.

These are the basics, so many other fine details, many other parts and work has been done and a lot is still in the works...

I just started a Youtube channel, have some videos of the car over there...

https://www.youtube.com/StigsPersianCousin

This makes sense. I appreciate the write up. I went and watched the video on your channel explaining it all and it is much more clear.

I think the DDE video doesn’t do the car justice as far as all the goodness that has gone into it. I also understand that’s not really the video for diving into the details of a build. 

But none the less, glad to see you back and make sure you post your videos and give some regular updates. The STS is a unicorn.

Are you sticking around BC for a while or just passing through?

• 3 weeks later...

What’s funny is I just drove my buddies REAL STS race car on the road in the USA.. I guess that was a backwards conversion real race car put on the street legally without the impractical race car characteristics of much thought.  It was not fun to drive for me but caused more attention than anything I’ve seen.  I like the idea of making this STS street car with more race car parts, bonkers but sounds fun!