New Ford GT

porter

I'll move this out of General once it gets some traction.

I want one of the new Ford GTs, now that 250 more slots have been released. Any tips on the application process? Starting with where to apply, what to say? Any suggestions from those that have been granted/delivered a Ford GT?

Thanks in advance.

Hell yeah!  I'm in.  Just don't see how I'll be a potential candidate for their selection criteria, though.  Good luck to you guys.

Do you have a dealer you’ve bought through before? Maybe orde a Shelby while you wait as a show of legitimacy to a dealer, build up the credential, let them vet you and hope for the best?

I've chatted with DBK, he knows everything about Ford GTs. Ford wants people to drive their cars, show them off, be influential and spread the brand and model worldwide. He's a very good source of all things Ford GT.

On 11/1/2018 at 9:10 AM, porter said:

I've chatted with DBK, he knows everything about Ford GTs. Ford wants people to drive their cars, show them off, be influential and spread the brand and model worldwide. He's a very good source of all things Ford GT.

See, that’s a problem for me. I get the wanting people to drive them, but not everyone wants to share their life online for the sake of a damn car. 

Different strokes for different folks but not sure why anyone wound want to spend $500K on a car that has a V6TT engine,  traps 125mph in the quarter and is slower around the track than some cars costing 1/3rd or half the price and on top that that get cramped in like sardines.  I will give it that it looks wise is sexy as hell but that is about it for me.  I would only buy it if i could flip it to sell but now that they are making 1350 instead of original 500 and 2yr wait time etc etc just doesnt do it for me one bit. 

And i own a 2005 FGT that i love but have no desire to drop $500k on this car. 

14 hours ago, Destructo said:

See, that’s a problem for me. I get the wanting people to drive them, but not everyone wants to share their life online so the sake of a damn car. 

Agreed.

Their vetting process seems more arrogant than the Ferrari way. It's like the consumers are an extension of the marketing budget.

7 hours ago, alpha6164 said:

Different strokes for different folks but not sure why anyone wound want to spend $500K on a car that has a V6TT engine,  traps 125mph in the quarter and is slower around the track than some cars costing 1/3rd or half the price and on top that that get cramped in like sardines.  I will give it that it looks wise is sexy as hell but that is about it for me.  I would only buy it if i could flip it to sell but now that they are making 1350 instead of original 500 and 2yr wait time etc etc just doesnt do it for me one bit. 

I have no skin in the game, but would recommend you drive the car before declaring it just a looker.

I felt the 2005 FGT was a special car beyond its mere power and sound. It  just had that feel in the steering, shifter, clutch, interior that separated it from a viper or POS. I had no idea I would have liked it so much prior to driving it.

The new GT being designed as a race car first then detuned for the road versus virtually every other car should be intriguing.

Ford will say the V6TT was the best choice of engine, and for racing it probably was. Otherwise for a pure street car, would have liked to have seen a V12. :D

Has anyone tried to tune the new GT to squeeze some more juice out of it? 

12 hours ago, Smash Boy said:

Ford will say the V6TT was the best choice of engine, and for racing it probably was. Otherwise for a pure street car, would have liked to have seen a V12. :D

I'm still waiting for them to release the super secret final run that has a TT VooDoo motor in it.  As a fine, you whiny bastards, here you go with the V8 version.  .00000000001% chance it happens, but it would be cool.

5 hours ago, emanon said:

I'm still waiting for them to release the super secret final run that has a TT VooDoo motor in it.  As a fine, you whiny bastards, here you go with the V8 version.  .00000000001% chance it happens, but it would be cool.

There isn't a V8 that Ford makes that fits in the engine bay of the NFGT.It will always have the V6 and I don't care I still want it.It is a special car.

On 11/1/2018 at 6:08 PM, alpha6164 said:

On 11/1/2018 at 6:08 PM, alpha6164 said:

At Monterey auction one hit 1.8 and did not make reserve. Own a lot of Fords had two deposits at to dealers until they told me how Ford decided to sell direct. 

It's produced at a contractors facility - then shipped to the guys who painted the Viper another outside contractor. 

It is cramped inside you better like the passenger a lot. 

Ford made a huge mistake by cutting out the dealer - they just don't care as many are going to non Ford owners to ambassador the car. 

I may sign up for round two - it's a hard pill to swallow from Ford all around.

Further the owners are struggling with being able to drive their cars and being told be patient we will get the car figured out.

This is a long production run expect a lot more tweaks as production continues. The 2005 vs 2006 GT was minimal expect a lot of upgrades to keep everyones attention. 

2 hours ago, Nuvolari612 said:

It's produced at a contractors facility - then shipped to the guys who painted the Viper another outside contractor. 

It is cramped inside you better like the passenger a lot. 

Ford made a huge mistake by cutting out the dealer - they just don't care as many are going to non Ford owners to ambassador the car. 

I may sign up for round two - it's a hard pill to swallow from Ford all around.

Further the owners are struggling with being able to drive their cars and being told be patient we will get the car figured out.

This is a long production run expect a lot more tweaks as production continues. The 2005 vs 2006 GT was minimal expect a lot of upgrades to keep everyones attention. 

It's produced virtually the same way the 05/06 car was.  05/06 was produced at SSV by Saleen and then shipped to Wixom to have the motor decked and a couple other bits.

It's not that cramped.  I spent a week driving the car around California with a 6'2, 230 lb buddy.  We lived.  It has more headroom than the 05/06.  But even with the consideration that it's tight side to side, this is not a daily driver or touring car.

It is not shipped anywhere thereafter.  Non-heritage panels are currently painted by Prefix and then the panels arrive back at MNV for fitting.  Some cars are painted in full at MNV.  Mine was.  All Heritage cars are.

~90% of the allocations went to Ford owners.  ~70% went to 05/06 GT owners.  That is vastly more Ford customers IMO than if Ford had left dealers to just try and get market value.

There will be few tweaks.

1 hour ago, DBK said:

It's produced virtually the same way the 05/06 car was.  05/06 was produced at SSV by Saleen and then shipped to Wixom to have the motor decked and a couple other bits.

It's not that cramped.  I spent a week driving the car around California with a 6'2, 230 lb buddy.  We lived.  It has more headroom than the 05/06.  But even with the consideration that it's tight side to side, this is not a daily driver or touring car.

It is not shipped anywhere thereafter.  Non-heritage panels are currently painted by Prefix and then the panels arrive back at MNV for fitting.  Some cars are painted in full at MNV.  Mine was.

~90% of the allocations went to Ford owners.  ~70% went to 05/06 GT owners.  That is vastly more Ford customers IMO than if Ford had left dealers to just try and get market value.There will be few tweaks. 

90% means 10% which I don't know so will not dispute is 10% too many. Flip it around and one could say the factory could have kept 10% to distribute to friends and family but guys like Shmeee is not the Ford I support. 

So much for Built Ford Tough with Multimatics facility in th background as they come off the line. 

Ford dealers deserved rights - it's not a valid argument to have the factory alone decide it's customers or your guess of what if the dealers had control like they do on every Ford produced until the boys at Detroit over stepped their boundaries. 

Ford could have simply approved the dealers customers and laid some ground rules it's how every other company who makes a limited run of special vehicles go about selecting who receives the LE's. 

Few tweaks - I do not believe that or that is virtually produced the same as 05 - 06 not even close to the 4000+ produced 05 - 06 models. Mutimatic has played a role for Ford Racing programs not in a production run of a road passenger car. Sounds like you know some guys at the Ivory Tower and for that you receive special treatment which is my entire premise that Ford handled the GT poorly. 

Regardless will most likely toss my hat in the ring for the next round in hopes Ford straightens out the GT's drivability issues and corrects it's rights from wrongs.

I grew up going to the Ford plant now shuttered in St Louis.  They would give tours have areas with special projects engineers sleeves up and best of all Ford's Bigfoot versus Shmee and others on Instagram posing. 

Built Ford Tough - three meaningful words. 

On 11/2/2018 at 2:36 AM, Smash Boy said:

I have no skin in the game, but would recommend you drive the car before declaring it just a looker.

I felt the 2005 FGT was a special car beyond its mere power and sound. It  just had that feel in the steering, shifter, clutch, interior that separated it from a viper or POS. I had no idea I would have liked it so much prior to driving it.

The new GT being designed as a race car first then detuned for the road versus virtually every other car should be intriguing.

I understand but I still don’t agree and here is why.  We all know some cars excel in straight line speed while some not straight speed but are track monsters.   This has neither.  If this car was so focused to be such a track monster why is it 2-3 seconds behind Performante on every track ? Hell its even slower around the track compared to a $140k Zr1.  

We all know it definitely doesn’t have the straight line speed either trapping 125-126mph at best.  On top of that it sounds like a can of marbles.   So pretty much what we have is $500k car that just looks amazing but does not excel at one single thing.  

7 minutes ago, alpha6164 said:

I understand but I still don’t agree and here is why.  We all know some cars excel in straight line speed while some not straight speed but are track monsters.   This has neither.  If this car was so focused to be such a track monster why is it 2-3 seconds behind Performante on every track ? Hell its even slower around the track compared to a $140k Zr1.  

We all know it definitely doesn’t have the straight line speed either trapping 125-126mph at best.  On top of that it sounds like a can of marbles.   So pretty much what we have is $500k car that just looks amazing but does not excel at one single thing.  

Ford chose to make the car bigger than it is - you are not alone in your thoughts. Times are good as they were when Ford first produced the original GT and at the end brought the last ones back to the factory and disaasembled them placing the parts on a shelf for replacement parts. 

I would still love one because it's a Ford - no other reason. 

3 hours ago, Nuvolari612 said:

90% means 10% which I don't know so will not dispute is 10% too many. 

You can trust me.  It was exactly 87%.  You can certainly make the case that no non-Ford owner should have received one, but realistically it doesn't factor in who the majority of those non-Ford owners represent.  6 of the IMSA and WEC drivers have already received their cars.  The IMSA team principle and his partner received their cars.  The owner of Multimatic received his car.  A raft of suppliers and technical partners from racing and regular vehicle production received allocations.  It's an argument of extreme subjectivity that Sebastien Bourdais deserves an allocation less than someone who regularly buys F-150s.  These are just not problems low volume manufacturers have.

Ford dealers deserved rights - it's not a valid argument to have the factory alone decide it's customers or your guess of what if the dealers had control like they do on every Ford produced until the boys at Detroit over stepped their boundaries. 

Any dealer can sell the car and they are very fairly compensated for doing so.  A number of dealers received allocations immediately.  More received allocations in the aftermath.  A lot more will receive them for the final amount of cars.   They can do whatever they like with them including ultimately selling them to whatever customer they like.  Nothing prevents a dealer from going straight to their market leadership and lobbying that a certain customer should be granted a car.

I like to think my opinion on what would have happened is based on vast, first hand experience from 2004-2006 with a much less expensive, much higher volume car.

Ford could have simply approved the dealers customers it's how Ferrari Lamborghini and every other company who makes a limited run of special vehicles go about selecting. 

The example of Ferrari or Lamborghini to this program which is just completely nonsensical.  Ferrari has ~35 dealers in the United States.  Ford has over 3,000.  What is the system to divide ~175 North American cars amongst 3,000 dealers that sell cars to several million people that makes everyone happy?  Even if you said "We are exclusively selling the 2017+ to existing Ford GT customers," that still doesn't even cover 30% of the most boutique product customer they have had in over 100 years of existence.  Ferrari sold 2,811 cars in the Americas in 2017.  My personal Ford dealer sold over 4,700 new cars last year and they are only open 5 days a week.  That just barely squeaks them in the top 10 nationwide.  Not comparable.

These arguments have been made endlessly but the truth is there just isn't a good answer, and realistically, most people's opinions on the matter are purely colored by how it affects them personally.  At this point, the GT is as valuable as a sociological case study as anything else.

Few tweaks - I do not believe that or that is virtually produced the same as 05 - 06 not even close. 

I assume your usage of the term "contractor" was meant pejoratively, but in that sense - they are irrefutably the same.  You can believe me or not, doesn't matter to me.  It's not a matter of belief for me.  I walked my 06 down the line at SSV as it was produced, and was at SSV with regularity.  I walked my 17 through MNV and am there frequently.  The paint facility manager at SSV for the 05/06 is now the paint facility manager at MNV for the 2017+.  In between he was COO of Prefix.  The operations manager at MNV for the 2017 was the President of Milford when they built the chassis for the 05/06.  MM did a lot of early work on the 05/06 and very nearly did the entire car.  I know a good deal of people that worked on both programs, and these were small teams.

I remain totally unmoved that there is a wrong here.   Certainly less than 918 owners sucking up GT car allocations or Ferrari telling people they can get a Pista if they buy a Lusso and a Spider.

1 hour ago, DBK said:

I am friends and lease to Ford dealers and Delphi suppliers- 99.99% assure they can not get a GT for their dealership let alone me or I would have one placing a deposit way before Ford announced it's path to buying a GT. The dealers in Detroit are a different story and perhaps a select few others as you stated racing partners etc. 

Porsche set the bar and said "anyone" who purchases a 918 gets GT allocations.

Ferrari it's a long line that forms at the dealership including their Challenge race cars. If one chooses to shorten the line it goes thru the dealership by cutting a deal. 

As I said Ford could have held back now 13% to friends and family. 

As far as which 3000 dealers receives Ford GT's - simply implement the GT350R program  which seemed to work out just fine. 

The logic you apply works for you and I appreciate that but there are 1000's of others it did not work for.

2005 2006 was not that  long ago - as I posted cars were sent back and dismantled. 

Ford racing is one thing - Ford production is another the two could have easily been separated and allowing Ford to control 13%of GT production  not 100%. 

Ford employees and contractors are not the same - I assure you every Ford worker would agree. I get racing and other like programs get their special treatment simply disagree that Ford's decision to over ride their dealers and for that alone I did not submit an application. Ford has 3000 dealers as you stated that would have loved to show off the GT instead Ford said we don't need you. 

4 hours ago, Nuvolari612 said:

So much for Built Ford Tough with Multimatics facility in th background as they come off the line. 

I would still love one because it's a Ford - no other reason. 

I can't square these statements.  MM is a very incognito company.  Ford is just willing to admit their level of partnership.  Larry is a legendary figure and a genius, and regardless of anything else that ever happens around the car, I am happy to be around for his involvement.  There's a reason his stuff is on everything from Chevy Colorado to AMG Project One to Porsche 919.

Sounds like you know some guys at the Ivory Tower and for that you receive special treatment which is my entire premise that Ford handled the GT poorly. 

They laid out the criteria and I fit.  I'm an original owner of an 05/06 GT with a long history with both GT programs.  If that is an objectionable criteria to receiving a vehicle allocation from a manufacturer, that is certainly an available opinion.  

Times are good as they were when Ford first produced the original GT and at the end brought the last ones back to the factory and disaasembled them placing the parts on a shelf for replacement parts. 

FWIW - this is absolutely, completely untrue.