LP640 Hits The Dyno After Header Install

whiteout

I picked up this exhaust from JonV since he no longer had a use for it. 1 of 2 sets made long tube headers into a 3" exhaust. Unfortunately Jon never got around to dyno the differences, but he wouldn't shut up about how much faster it was. So when Jon offered it to me, I couldn't pass it up. I never really intended on installing it as I was very happy with my set up (sound, power, fireballs, etc.) but after seeing Alpha6164's power gains from headers they were always on my mind. So after 6 months of having the headers sitting in a box, I jumped in (literally) to try them out. 

This is what I started with: factory manifolds, fabspeed primary deletes and DTP exhaust:

43266348130_bee1127b28_z.jpg

This was the system I bought:

45726340492_74e17a7130_z.jpg

The stock manifold compared to the header:

44525835944_078008bf7b_z.jpg

31373916708_004895689d_z.jpg

This would be an incredibly easy install while the engine is out, but with it in . . . tight quarters:

31343932638_3553cdd337_z.jpg

I ended up unbolting the driveline and having to use a 2x4 to move it over a few inches to squeeze out the driver's side front manifold:

31343932948_4b94608bfa_z.jpg

One of the reasons I moved forward with the header install is the engine mounts needed replacement (again SUPER easy during engine out service) but require the exhaust manifolds to be removed for engine-in replacement:

45198151172_c88f6af683_z.jpg

After the better part of 13 hours later, this was the result: 

30308938627_22d45ffcbe_z.jpg

43492323910_3987448716_z.jpg

I wasn't a fan of the x-pipe design in sound or throttle response, so I had my fabricator change it into a non-merged system.

45722338322_97e33ac129_z.jpg[/url]

The final product: 

45722338172_9614b0bf72_z.jpg

Now, at this point the car is LOUD, like crazy loud (and it had straight pipes before) and it no longer has the super high pitch scream of the DTP exhaust, but it felt significantly quicker. So I went to a dyno inside a wind tunnel that I previously went to with my old set up to see if there were any gains. Since the dyno is basically in a controlled atmosphere, there are fewer variables to skew the results. 

44859500315_dd7c0a4677_z.jpg

Simply (lol) changing out the manifolds and 2.5" diameter exhaust for headers and 3" diameter exhaust picked up 55 whp and 62 wtq on 91 octane. The dyno chart printout has the wrong overlay, so I have to get another, but this makes power from 1000rpm to redline. From 4500 to 5500rpm it jumps 150whp and 120wtq, it feels like the car has turbos. The final figures are . . . 

45047666584_ac9cc3afa9_z.jpg

I am very happy with the car and cannot wait to get some good runs with it to see performance gains. I'll post up more media of it, including sound clips and the dyno sheets. 

That is impressive, can't wait to hear it.  In your last exhaust video it was crazy loud so I can't imagine it now if you say it is louder.  

Wow.  Those are impressive gains.  I used to lay or sit in the Diablo engine bay often when doing repairs.  About the only way to reach stuff half the time.  Nice job on the install and thanks for documenting!

Hell yes, And when i had my longtube headers made everyone was like "oh there is nothing going to be there" if there was more power to be made from that Lamborghini would have done it already lol. 

Couple of questions? was this RWD or AWD? Also have you had a tune and if so by whom? 

Mmmmm Burns collectors :icon_super:

I love that you did this in a parking spot in an underground garage.

I wasn't surprised when Alpha made huge gains and I'm still not.  Let that baby breathe! 

Awesome gains.  Can't even imagine how much louder this must be, especially if you're already running primary and secondary deletes.  When can we expect some video clips?

5 hours ago, alpha6164 said:

Hell yes, And when i had my longtube headers made everyone was like "oh there is nothing going to be there" if there was more power to be made from that Lamborghini would have done it already lol. 

Couple of questions? was this RWD or AWD? Also have you had a tune and if so by whom? 

Alpha6164:  Did you ever end up getting the same headers for your Diablo?

1 hour ago, rhyno said:

Pure awesomeness!!! 

Thanks!

18 hours ago, Destructo said:

That’s awesome! Go figure i there was that much left in an exhaust. It has to sound gnarly. 

17 hours ago, Chipster said:

Wow.  Those are impressive gains.  I used to lay or sit in the Diablo engine bay often when doing repairs.  About the only way to reach stuff half the time.  Nice job on the install and thanks for documenting!

5 hours ago, murcivu said:

Awesome gains.  Can't even imagine how much louder this must be, especially if you're already running primary and secondary deletes.  When can we expect some video clips?

18 hours ago, JK79 said:

That is impressive, can't wait to hear it.  In your last exhaust video it was crazy loud so I can't imagine it now if you say it is louder.  

It's not as high pitched as before, but it is LOUD. Will get some rolling video soon. 

10 hours ago, alpha6164 said:

It's RWD and on the original tune. Caveat, this was a press car, so I can only assume it's not a run-of-the-mill tune. 

9 hours ago, emanon said:

Mmmmm Burns collectors :icon_super:

I love that you did this in a parking spot in an underground garage.

Yeah, they are pretty. Neighbors have to love me. :lol2:

On 11/8/2018 at 10:32 PM, E7ITE said:

Alpha6164:  Did you ever end up getting the same headers for your Diablo?

No i never have done headers to the 6.0 but definitely thinking about it :)  However the LP640 which revs almost 1000rpm higher and has 0.5L higher capacity for sure will benefit more because there seems to be a lot of back pressure that is holding the car down.  This engine wants nothing more than to exhale. 

I'm shocked at how much HP and TQ you have gained from this mod. Stunning. Congratulations on doing everything on your own too and thanks for documenting. 

8 hours ago, OC said:

I'm shocked at how much HP and TQ you have gained from this mod. Stunning. Congratulations on doing everything on your own too and thanks for documenting. 

Thanks!

Great work with this install and gains!  I can tell you that without X pipe, you will have some drone throughout the rev range.  Crazy loud and huge gains are hard to express I’m sure. 

• 2 weeks later...