California Fires

Tara

Looks like some gnarly ones. d.wiggs neighborhood was in trouble, no word on his place. I'm pretty sure DHH would have been evacuated. Ive seen some friends through a friend have lost their places, its reslly sad. Makes me appreciate the non-issue these kind of fires are in Michigan. 

Glad all our guys have been safe thus far, but man it's fcuking brutal out there. 

Random thought:  With all these super expensive properties, i'm surprised the owners/insurance companies don't bring in private companies to defend the properties, and have those foam systems installed to blanket the house.  Knowing how LA county works i'm shocked external fire suppression isn't part of a mandatory building code at this point.

3 minutes ago, emanon said:

Glad all our guys have been safe thus far, but man it's fcuking brutal out there. 

Random thought:  With all these super expensive properties, i'm surprised the owners/insurance companies don't bring in private companies to defend the properties, and have those foam systems installed to blanket the house.  Knowing how LA county works i'm shocked external fire suppression isn't part of a mandatory building code at this point.

I heard some were hiring their own firefighters, but if that fire is coming your way, not much you can do but get out of the way.....

My sister lives in Paradise, The whole town has been incinerated with the exception of a few houses. By some miracle, my sisters house is one still standing. She lost her barn and chickens, but the horse was rescued. She posted video's of her driving through fire to get out, some really scary shit. Prayers for all, this is a really bad situation.

We are still under mandatory evacuation but the firefighters have been putting in major work to ensure the fire doesn't go any further south/east over Malibu Canyon. My offices in Agoura were thankfully spared as well... Just an unbelievable past few days. 

10 hours ago, emanon said:

So hard to get sprinklers required *inside* single family homes across the US, even on just new construction.

Foam, water spray, I'd imagine that would be a far tougher sell.

Probably best bet is to work out a deal with the insurance company for lowered premiums and deductibles for greater protection.

10 hours ago, Griza said:

My sister lives in Paradise, The whole town has been incinerated with the exception of a few houses. By some miracle, my sisters house is one still standing. She lost her barn and chickens, but the horse was rescued. She posted video's of her driving through fire to get out, some really scary shit. Prayers for all, this is a really bad situation.

Just one horse?

I saw a video on FB that Allan posted that had a woman escaping through the fire that was scary af. I was gonna ask if that was your sister? (but I thought I read she had to rescue several horses)

Glad she made it out ok.

19 minutes ago, Smash Boy said:

Just one horse?

I saw a video on FB that Allan posted that had a woman escaping through the fire that was scary af. I was gonna ask if that was your sister? (but I thought I read she had to rescue several horses)

Glad she made it out ok.

My sister has only one, she actually had to leave without it as the fire came on so quickly. A neighbor and police officer friend were the ones to have rescued her horse and brought it to a ranch that was taking in whatever animals that could be saved. My sister drove out with her boyfriend, an 87 yr old neighbor and I believe one other person. She just posted a pic on fb of one of the neighbors houses on fire and she believed at that point she was going to perish. Here is the pic I just pulled from her facebook. I'll see if I can get her video driving through the fire.

46324792_10214880357576098_2363921141833138176_n.jpg

18 hours ago, Griza said:

Glad she made it out safe....jesus that had to be scary

It's been pretty wild to see a lot of the aftermath. I had a friend that was evacuated stay with me for a few days and he said the speed at which the fires spread was nuts.

I'm certainly glad we have very brave and dedicated emergency personnel. I have quite a few friends affected, another friend of mien sent pics from his backyard. Fortunately his house was saved but unfortunately his next door neighbors house didn't make it:

IMG952422.jpg

IMG952420.jpg

IMG952421.jpg

Dear friends of ours lost their home in the Thomas fire last year. Had 30 minutes to get out and literally lost everything. Military family so naturally got insurance through USAA. I'm sure you have seen the commercials were they call by your rank. fcuk them. I want to punch the TV every time  I see there BS commercials. They bought the home six months before it burned down and our underinsured by $250k. Suing USAA for malpractice. And to top it off, Ventura Co has made rebuilding much more difficult and expensive (all sorts of new permit fees if you don't want to recreate the 1970's) to rebuild.

I have lived through 6 fires that have threatened homes I have owned in LA, Malibu, and Ventura. It's the new normal. Review your insurance, you're probably underinsured. 

On 11/13/2018 at 9:47 AM, FikseSTS said:

I heard some were hiring their own firefighters, but if that fire is coming your way, not much you can do but get out of the way.....

Chubb if you opt for it, will provide fire retardant and engine support. Our property can't qualify because of our orchards. The other issue is neighbourhood water pressure. CA introduced new standards recently, they won't let you build anything new until your water company can prove it can maintain water pressure in a fire event. Test cost our water company $11k. That said we have pumps for our pool, a fire suppression system, and a concrete tile roof. A lot of fires start by embers landing on your outdoor furniture, rain gutters with dried leaves and down chimneys. Put your furniture in the garage, clean your gutters, and block your chimneys with a fire retardant panel. Also, radiant heat can ignite stuff inside the home, double glazing helps but your house was probably going to burn if it ignites this way. The Paradise fire was a totally different event. Everything was destroyed, extremely quickly. The Woolsey/Hill fires are much more typical. 

A lot of those houses in Malibu are on CA Fair Plan. Basically, when you can't get fire insurance, the state steps in and provides a policy that if you have a nice home, you'll be underinsured. If memory serves me right the max policy is $1.5m for structure, contents and a rental while you are rebuilding. And then our have to deal with Coastal Commission on a rebuild which will be a fcuking nightmare. A lot of these homes, if they are rebuilt will be a lot smaller. Our old home in Malibu burned in 1993 along with another 350 homes, took the former owners almost 3 years to rebuild. Our old neighbours were evacuated for 5 days in this most recent event, we would have been too. Wasn't the first time and definitely not the last.

6 hours ago, LA_Brit said:

Fire stopped 12 houses up the street from mine. Couple neighbours burnt down. Scary stuff. 

Glad to hear you're safe :icon_thumleft:

6 hours ago, capt_chaos said:

Good to hear you are safe mate.

3 hours ago, Supercar Ace said:

Glad to hear you're safe :icon_thumleft:

Thanks!

10 hours ago, kinnsella said:

Chubb if you opt for it, will provide fire retardant and engine support. Our property can't qualify because of our orchards. The other issue is neighbourhood water pressure. CA introduced new standards recently, they won't let you build anything new until your water company can prove it can maintain water pressure in a fire event. Test cost our water company $11k. That said we have pumps for our pool, a fire suppression system, and a concrete tile roof. A lot of fires start by embers landing on your outdoor furniture, rain gutters with dried leaves and down chimneys. Put your furniture in the garage, clean your gutters, and block your chimneys with a fire retardant panel. Also, radiant heat can ignite stuff inside the home, double glazing helps but your house was probably going to burn if it ignites this way. The Paradise fire was a totally different event. Everything was destroyed, extremely quickly. The Woolsey/Hill fires are much more typical. 

A lot of those houses in Malibu are on CA Fair Plan. Basically, when you can't get fire insurance, the state steps in and provides a policy that if you have a nice home, you'll be underinsured. If memory serves me right the max policy is $1.5m for structure, contents and a rental while you are rebuilding. And then our have to deal with Coastal Commission on a rebuild which will be a fcuking nightmare. A lot of these homes, if they are rebuilt will be a lot smaller. Our old home in Malibu burned in 1993 along with another 350 homes, took the former owners almost 3 years to rebuild. Our old neighbours were evacuated for 5 days in this most recent event, we would have been too. Wasn't the first time and definitely not the last.

You should be able to get around the local water supply requirements by installing your own water storage tank(s) if you're so dedicated.

Completely isolated system.