California Fires

Tara

16 hours ago, Smash Boy said:

You should be able to get around the local water supply requirements by installing your own water storage tank(s) if you're so dedicated.

Completely isolated system.

We don't need at our current home as we have a 30,000 gallon pool right next to the house. Old house we did exactly that and buried a 2000 gallon tank on our property.

On 11/19/2018 at 5:02 PM, kinnsella said:

We don't need at our current home as we have a 30,000 gallon pool right next to the house. Old house we did exactly that and buried a 2000 gallon tank on our property.

Now how far would 30,000 that take you? And did you have some sort of pump system installed that put out more than just a garden hose?

3 hours ago, Destructo said:

Now how far would 30,000 that take you? And did you have some sort of pump system installed that put out more than just a garden hose?

About 14 hours but you wouldn't be running it constantly. Just buying time to an engine on site. We have a 2 stroke gas-powered pump and a couple hundred feet of hose. 

8 hours ago, kinnsella said:

About 14 hours but you wouldn't be running it constantly. Just buying time to an engine on site. We have a 2 stroke gas-powered pump and a couple hundred feet of hose. 

That's nuts! I can't imagine having to consider these factors in a home. I know fires aren't isolated to California, but here in the Midwest, I'll take our varied weather and storms any day.

2 hours ago, Destructo said:

That's nuts! I can't imagine having to consider these factors in a home. I know fires aren't isolated to California, but here in the Midwest, I'll take our varied weather and storms any day.

It's the new normal. We love where we live, it's a pretty special place. Our kids aren't in front of screens, they are playing outside, in the pool or riding their bikes around the ranch. We are over-insured and it's really not that expensive. It won't be fun to rebuild, but we know it may be in the cards. Our current property has a few trees damaged from the 2001 Moorpark fire, a neighbour down the street lost his home and hasn't rebuilt. And it just started raining......

On 11/19/2018 at 8:25 AM, Allan-Herbie said:

Wonder if my old house survived. I saw videos of Kanan Rd and it was like the apocalypse. 

Drove into LA yesterday on the 101. Moonscape either side of the 101 from Liberty Canyon to Mulholland. Even with the windows closed and AC on recirc, you could smell a burnt smell. It's amazing how many structures the firefighters actually saved considering the proximity of the fires. 

On 11/21/2018 at 11:14 PM, kinnsella said:

It's the new normal. We love where we live, it's a pretty special place. Our kids aren't in front of screens, they are playing outside, in the pool or riding their bikes around the ranch. We are over-insured and it's really not that expensive. It won't be fun to rebuild, but we know it may be in the cards. Our current property has a few trees damaged from the 2001 Moorpark fire, a neighbour down the street lost his home and hasn't rebuilt. And it just started raining......

That would be a lot of pressure, from my perspective, but good on you and the family for making the most of it. Hopefully, you never have to rebuild.

My wife's family lives up in the mountains in central CA, had a fire and wiped out EVERYTHING, having to rebuild your life in your 80's didn't look fun. So we were talking, she lost family pictures, priceless heirlooms and just a lifetime of memories. We were discussing what would you ever do, knowing that is a possibility. Do you keep the house like borderline empty of personal belongings and just keep them in a secure facility?! It's nuts, I know, but we were trying to figure out how you'd live in a region prone to natural disasters.

Somehow our old house survived, which is nuts. Personally Im thankful we are gone and never have to worry about that stuff again. It happens pretty much every year.  Wonder what sort of effect this will have on property values. 

11 hours ago, Allan-Herbie said:

Somehow our old house survived, which is nuts. Personally Im thankful we are gone and never have to worry about that stuff again. It happens pretty much every year.  Wonder what sort of effect this will have on property values. 

Fewer houses, increasing population, restrictive codes when rebuilding, supply and demand.

8 hours ago, kinnsella said:

Fewer houses, increasing population, restrictive codes when rebuilding, supply and demand.

The all concrete Fortis style homes is a good look moving forward.

We just submitted plans for our new house in Malibu today - 100% cement/steel/glass. Still waiting for feedback on fire flow but I believe we'll need at least 6 x 10k gallon tanks. Trying to see if we can fit the pool with a gravity pump on the bottom to use that - will be another 50k gallons. 

This last fire made me seriously step up our prevention methods for the design/layout of the home. 

Property is at a premium here now, a friend's neighbor couldn't sell their condo in Malibu for $2m before the fire, the day after she re-listed it for $2.5M and sold it within 24hrs.

Not sure what will happen with the burned down homes or the land they are on. I've heard they are issuing coastal exemptions for burn properties so rebuilding should actually be fairly painless unless you had non-permitted structures. Malibu is one of the hardest places in the entire US to build so that's saying something. 

2 hours ago, Luxeous said:

Property is at a premium here now, a friend's neighbor couldn't sell their condo in Malibu for $2m before the fire, the day after she re-listed it for $2.5M and sold it within 24hrs.

Not sure what will happen with the burned down homes or the land they are on. I've heard they are issuing coastal exemptions for burn properties so rebuilding should actually be fairly painless unless you had non-permitted structures. Malibu is one of the hardest places in the entire US to build so that's saying something. 

That makes zero sense. The market is cooling for sure - 7/10 properties seem

to have a down arrow on various sites for price reductions.

1 hour ago, LA_Brit said:

That makes zero sense. The market is cooling for sure - 7/10 properties seem

to have a down arrow on various sites for price reductions.

Makes perfect sense, 700 homes are gone, people need to live somewhere else (in the neighboorhood) while they rebuild. 

1 hour ago, kinnsella said:

Makes perfect sense, 700 homes are gone, people need to live somewhere else (in the neighboorhood) while they rebuild. 

This is very possible but wouldn't expect people to buy - rent instead, but this is Malibu and $$$ is aplenty.

4 minutes ago, LA_Brit said:

This is very possible but wouldn't expect people to buy - rent instead, but this is Malibu and $$$ is aplenty.

When you're worth $200 m, whats $2.5m for a short-term fix. There will be no rentals....Pepperdine students will be flipping their apartments.

18 hours ago, Luxeous said:

We just submitted plans for our new house in Malibu today - 100% cement/steel/glass. Still waiting for feedback on fire flow but I believe we'll need at least 6 x 10k gallon tanks. Trying to see if we can fit the pool with a gravity pump on the bottom to use that - will be another 50k gallons. 

This last fire made me seriously step up our prevention methods for the design/layout of the home. 

Fire flow for firefighting hose lines or sprinklers?

17 hours ago, kinnsella said:

When you're worth $200 m, whats $2.5m for a short-term fix. There will be no rentals....Pepperdine students will be flipping their apartments.

Exactly. 

8 hours ago, Smash Boy said:

Fire flow for firefighting hose lines or sprinklers?

Fire flow here is water for them to hook up to to fight the fire on location.

There are a ton of hoops to jump through with the fire department before they sign off. Driveway width, grade, turnaround space and fire flow are the main ones from what I understand. 

Kinnesela, nice post. Damn, you really need to have money to live in California in a nice place.