Doug does A LOT of vehicle reviews. His channel is stocked with a TON of content. He can be a bit dry if you aren't used to it, but never lacking in information. There is a ton of detail and information on his reviews. And he covers a bit of neat little nuances that others overlook, in my opinion. Check out his Performante review below.

I love these Doug videos, for someone like me that rarely sees a Lamborghini in person let alone sit in one, these videos really help give me a sense of what they are like to drive.

3 hours ago, NuclearJACK said:

I love these Doug videos, for someone like me that rarely sees a Lamborghini in person let alone sit in one, these videos really help give me a sense of what they are like to drive.

He does a great job, partly why I believe he is so popular. 

His videos are too long, his speech patterns get annoying and he talks like he still wears a retainer. I have been watching him for a few years, I agree on the E38, Abarth, and Defender 90, so I kind of stick around in the hopes I don't want to unsubscribe over his hatred for the X6. He'll probably not say the same about the Urus, because it is a Lambo.

He makes me think of that weird kid from elementary school, you know the one that wore wool socks 3 sizes too big in July, and would eat Swedish fish and muesli or something bizarre. Like foods that only the parents of liberal arts college professors would make their kid eat and even though they followed every child rearing book, he never felt warmth or a the loving embrace of a parent, he probably got a handshake and a condescending glare as his father crossed his arms in a tweed jacket with elbow patches as they sent him off to summer camp. And he only had books, never had a TV in the home, and swears carob is better than chocolate.

Now for the Doug score...

/rant

3 hours ago, TestShoot said:

His videos are too long, his speech patterns get annoying and he talks like he still wears a retainer. I have been watching him for a few years, I agree on the E38, Abarth, and Defender 90, so I kind of stick around in the hopes I don't want to unsubscribe over his hatred for the X6. He'll probably not say the same about the Urus, because it is a Lambo.

He makes me think of that weird kid from elementary school, you know the one that wore wool socks 3 sizes too big in July, and would eat Swedish fish and muesli or something bizarre. Like foods that only the parents of liberal arts college professors would make their kid eat and even though they followed every child rearing book, he never felt warmth or a the loving embrace of a parent, he probably got a handshake and a condescending glare as his father crossed his arms in a tweed jacket with elbow patches as they sent him off to summer camp. And he only had books, never had a TV in the home, and swears carob is better than chocolate.

Now for the Doug score...

/rant

You're still watching. Don't knock it if is working for him. He has carved out a niche and a great business model. Creates content with cars he doesn't own. Gets to write off a GT40...

He has room for improvement for sure. Unless I am really interested in a car I can't watch 20 minutes discussing a door handle placement "quirk"

I'm 50/50 on DeMuro. Seems like a nice guy who just likes cars, but his reviews seem more Consumer Reports than getting into the essence of the car's personality. His driving impressions when he's actually behind the wheel, 15-18 minutes into the video usually aren't bad.  

If I ever bought a car that he has reviewed, I would definitely watch his video to make sure I know about all of its "quirks and features". He has a gift for finding every single little thing about a car that many owners do not know of. 

And I disagree with his Doug Score model of scoring the entire automotive world on a universal scale. I get what he's trying to do, but no...

Dresses like he's going to mow front lawn, not review new Bentley or Rolls. Best was when he reviewed his dream car Carrera GT with holes in his socks. Complete slob with no shits given about his appearance.

That said reviews themselves are okay. He takes that part seriously and does an adequate job.

3 hours ago, porter said:

Dresses like he's going to mow front lawn, not review new Bentley or Rolls. Best was when he reviewed his dream car Carrera GT with holes in his socks. Complete slob with no shits given about his appearance.

That said reviews themselves are okay. He takes that part seriously and does an adequate job.

I think the "everyman" approach works for him, makes him more relatable than some of the other car reviewers who are obviously trustfund babies.

6 hours ago, kinnsella said:

I think the "everyman" approach works for him, makes him more relatable than some of the other car reviewers who are obviously trustfund babies.

Agreed. Too many, "I'm going to do YouTube because I have (or appear to have) a shit ton of money" channels. There needs to be more just regular Joe's working with vehicles. Granted, no one really wants to watch a poor college student eat ramen and read a book. Well, strike that, I'm sure some fetish channel has that locked down. It's obviously more interesting to watch what you desire. But doesn't mean it has good content! 

On 11/27/2018 at 8:28 PM, Destructo said:

Granted, no one really wants to watch a poor college student eat ramen and read a book. Well, strike that, I'm sure some fetish channel has that locked down.

it has a name; "Mukbang" it is a trend of watching people over eat.

3 hours ago, TestShoot said:

it has a name; "Mukbang" it is a trend of watching people over eat.

Stuff like this makes me long for days before the Internet :lol2:  

On 11/27/2018 at 9:09 PM, kinnsella said:

vehicle virgins popped into my head reading this.

I watch most of Dougs videos until they get to the scoring when I close the page. Just done care for that part of it.

5 hours ago, NuclearJACK said:

vehicle virgins popped into my head reading this.

I watch most of Dougs videos until they get to the scoring when I close the page. Just done care for that part of it.

I can why it could appear that way. He claims he isn't, which is fine if he is, or isn't. I honestly think he just hustles harder than most out there and it starting to reap the rewards of it. VV's videos have taken a turn a bit, in my opinion. Heavy on the sponsorship and borderline click-bait tactics, which I'm seeing more and more of, sadly. 

What do you guys think these presenters will do as a second act? I mean, do any of you see Demuro/VV lasting 10 more years? 

On 11/30/2018 at 9:45 AM, TestShoot said:

What do you guys think these presenters will do as a second act? I mean, do any of you see Demuro/VV lasting 10 more years? 

I think we're already starting to see the second act. VV has moved more towards the lifestyle and its associated giving. While isn't always informative, it apparently is entertaining and gets traffic and cash. He still does his reviews, but not what is bread and butter was. I think the "Living with X car(s)" is the next "thing," but as a supplement. Demuro does his odd stuff, and that seems to get him plenty of traffic. They are already breaking down their channels into sub-sections, so maybe that's the path? Hard to tell to be honest. But I don't think you'll ever have a shortage of objective, sometimes funny, informative videos on vehicles. 

17 hours ago, Destructo said:

I think we're already starting to see the second act. VV has moved more towards the lifestyle and its associated giving. While isn't always informative, it apparently is entertaining and gets traffic and cash. He still does his reviews, but not what is bread and butter was. I think the "Living with X car(s)" is the next "thing," but as a supplement. Demuro does his odd stuff, and that seems to get him plenty of traffic. They are already breaking down their channels into sub-sections, so maybe that's the path? Hard to tell to be honest. But I don't think you'll ever have a shortage of objective, sometimes funny, informative videos on vehicles. 

I agree. I do YT but not for the money. In fact my first video was not even 8 month after YouTUBE became a thing, so I am one of the OG. What I can tell you is that its all about engagement which pushed content creators ("influencers") to do more and more crazy stuff, clickbait just to get a piece of an ever dividing audience and cryptic attention span. the future is off-site branding, merchandise etc which is why you see so many trying to make the pivot.  Even Facebook is giving some big incentives (& Twitch) to try to lure creators over. But to be honest, automotive YT are a tiny drop in the YouTUBE bucket so they don't account for much in the big scheme of things.

19 hours ago, DoctaM3 said:

I agree. I do YT but not for the money. In fact my first video was not even 8 month after YouTUBE became a thing, so I am one of the OG. What I can tell you is that its all about engagement which pushed content creators ("influencers") to do more and more crazy stuff, clickbait just to get a piece of an ever dividing audience and cryptic attention span. the future is off-site branding, merchandise etc which is why you see so many trying to make the pivot.  Even Facebook is giving some big incentives (& Twitch) to try to lure creators over. But to be honest, automotive YT are a tiny drop in the YouTUBE bucket so they don't account for much in the big scheme of things.

You are 100% spot on. Your videos never give the impression you are desperate for the subscribers or clicks, it's nice. I forgot to mention the merchandising angle of it all. Most now have t-shirts, product placements, partnerships, etc. Which I won't fault anyone for, if I had my skin in the game I'd do the same thing. 

And also true, automotive stuff is such a small demographic it is mind-blowing to think about it. You either need to be someone who does it for fun, like yourself or someone that has the resources to self-fund vehicle videos. You want the absolute money-maker hogs in the room, kids videos. Just playing around with some calculations on those videos is INSANE.

Sadly, the click-bait and as you mentioned, extreme, crazy stuff is the nature of the beast. You either rise above it and don't get the "clicks" or you succumb to the peer pressure and do it, hoping for clicks. 

I got to hang out with Doug for a while at Monterey this year. I'm friends with his "protege" Hoovie from back when I lived in Kansas. Doug was super nice and super down to earth.

That said, I enjoy his reviews and Hoovie does a good job on the other end of the serious spectrum.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead